• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwaukee police call for concealed-carry changes,3X misdemeanants prohibited! MJS

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...concealedcarry-changes-md4fobn-142277075.html
Gitte Laasby said:
Milwaukee police are asking state legislators and gun rights activists to back three proposals police say would repair Wisconsin's concealed-carry law - among them: barring people with three misdemeanor convictions in five years from obtaining a concealed-carry permit.

[ ... ]

Police say they see three main problems with the existing law, which took effect in November and made Wisconsin the 49th state to allow concealed carry:

First, straw purchases - ...

Second, the requirements for a gun permit ignore the reality of plea bargains....

The third problem, police say, is that regardless of how many times people carry concealed without a permit - illegally - the offense never rises above a misdemeanor.
If a felon may properly be disbarred his rights under color of law then we can all be legally disarmed merely by sufficiently lowering the bar of felony - as Flynn would do for misdemeanants.

Last edited:

protias

I like what Nik said, "If he's got a problem, he needs to go talk to the (district attorney) and say, 'Why are you plea-bargaining these down to a misdemeanor that should otherwise be felonies?' That's a problem the DA needs to address," Clark said. "If these are serious offenses, they shouldn't be plea-bargained out. If you're not going to utilize the laws that exist, don't come asking for new laws that have the potential to infringe on the rights of law-abiding (people)."

HandyHamlet

So...
Philanderin' Flynn says his troops, the DA's, and judges don't do their jobs prosecuting felons. Because there are too many criminals and no room. So lets make more laws to turn more people into felons... This f*cking moron will say literally anything to get a hand job from the press. And when I say "hand job from the press" I don't mean Jessica Mcbride.

Dobb

so...
Philanderin' flynn says his troops, the da's, and judges don't do their jobs prosecuting felons. Because there are too many criminals and no room. So lets make more laws to turn more people into felons... This f*cking moron will say literally anything to get a hand job from the press. And when i say "hand job from the press" i don't mean jessica mcbride.

ftw

H

Herr Heckler Koch

South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division - SLED, the state cops - tried something similar. They tried to deny renewal of a CWPermit for "excessive" traffic infractions in the renewal period, five or more tickets in five years.

That said, this is Open Carry's forum and Flynn/MPD are advancing open carry! So, let's see, if one open carries can a cop properly request ID/license under §175.60? And what if they are told to bugger-off...Flynn

bigdaddy1

South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division - SLED, the state cops - tried something similar. They tried to deny renewal of a CWPermit for "excessive" traffic infractions in the renewal period, five or more tickets in five years.

That said, this is Open Carry's forum and Flynn/MPD are advancing open carry! So, let's see, if one open carries can a cop properly request ID/license under §175.60? And what if they are told to bugger-off...Flynn

During my Utah CC class, the instructor did say that Utah will suspend or revoke your CCP if you have too many traffic violations. There reasoning is if you have driving infractions you are prone to have "other" infractions. That if you cant obey the driving laws you may not obey CC laws. He said they check your record every day via computer.

32HR MAG

That makes as much sense as credit score determining how much of a risk you are to file an accident claim. So low credit score high premiums.

amaixner

I'm sure that this proposed law would go quite well with the authoritarian attitude of the Milwaukee Police department, which believes that ignoring illegal orders from the police is a misdemeanor.

Captain Nemo

From the 1931 USSC ruling in Near v Minnesota:

Some degree of abuse is inseparable from the proper use of everything, and in no instance is this more true than in that of the press. It has accordingly been decided by the practice of the States that it is better to leave a few of its noxious branches to their luxuriant growth than, by pruning them away, to injure the vigour of those yielding the proper fruits.

MKEgal

The purpose of the changes would be to prevent repeat criminals from carrying guns...
These changes... can have a direct impact on our crime rate.
:banghead: :cuss: :banghead: :cuss:
How can someone who is supposedly qualified to lead/manage a large police department be SO stupid?
Laws don't stop criminals.
Telling a criminal they can't get a cc license isn't going to stop them from carrying concealed.
Telling a criminal they're not allowed to possess a firearm doesn't stop them from possessing & even using one.
He does have one thing right, though: making more crimes will have a direct impact on the crime rate.

Actually, how can the people of Milwaukee be so stupid as to let him get away with this?
It's obvious he isn't concerned about crime, or he'd not want to increase it.
How stupid does someone have to be to believe that a law will stop a criminal?

rimmer

With tens of thousands more people legally carrying weapons in this State I think that Flynn is now more afraid than ever of jealous and get even husbands and boyfriends.

jpm84092

During my Utah CC class, the instructor did say that Utah will suspend or revoke your CCP if you have too many traffic violations. There reasoning is if you have driving infractions you are prone to have "other" infractions. That if you cant obey the driving laws you may not obey CC laws. He said they check your record every day via computer.

Students sometimes remember only part of what was taught.

To clarify Utah Law, BCI will either suspend or revoke your CFP for "felony moving violations" or a history of multiple and serious misdemeanor moving violations. Felons can't own guns anyway. The suspension takes place after arrest but before conviction and you can appeal the decision to the board.

If you have two or more minor misdemeanor moving violations in a short period of time (speeding under 20 miles over the posted limit), they may invite you for a chat before taking the step of suspension. A good example of instant revocation would be vehicular homicide while intoxicated (a felony) or multiple drunk driving convictions (also a felony if you have two other DUI convictions within 10 years). The charge alone may result in a temporary suspension of your permit while the case moves through the court. This is at BCI discretion and you may appeal their decision.

A history of two or more driving 20+ miles over the limit will likely get you an invitation for a chat. If you decline, they may suspend you permit until you comply, but you can appeal.

BCI does check the record of every permit holder daily.

The comment about UT taking action after moving violations involves cases of multiple infractions in a short period of time. A speeding ticket once a year is not likely to trigger interest, unless it is 20+ miles over the limit.

Yellow Cat Out-

Last edited:

bigdaddy1

Students sometimes remember only part of what was taught.

To clarify Utah Law, BCI will either suspend or revoke your CFP for "felony moving violations" or a history of multiple and serious misdemeanor moving violations. Felons can't own guns anyway. The suspension takes place after arrest but before conviction and you can appeal the decision to the board.

If you have two or more minor misdemeanor moving violations in a short period of time (speeding under 20 miles over the posted limit), they may invite you for a chat before taking the step of suspension. A good example of instant revocation would be vehicular homicide while intoxicated (a felony) or multiple drunk driving convictions (also a felony if you have two other DUI convictions within 10 years). The charge alone may result in a temporary suspension of your permit while the case moves through the court. This is at BCI discretion and you may appeal their decision.

A history of two or more driving 20+ miles over the limit will likely get you an invitation for a chat. If you decline, they may suspend you permit until you comply, but you can appeal.

BCI does check the record of every permit holder daily.

The comment about UT taking action after moving violations involves cases of multiple infractions in a short period of time. A speeding ticket once a year is not likely to trigger interest, unless it is 20+ miles over the limit.

Yellow Cat Out-

At least I remembers the important parts:lol: I did retain more about the issue, just felt getting into it wasn't necessary to the topic. Did you come up with an old farts tactical class yet?
:question:

KBCraig

I will only point out that "misdemeanors" is a ridiculously low bar. In Texas, every traffic violation is a misdemeanor.

If some Minnesotan on vacation was stopped in Texas and cited for speeding (no matter how little over the limit), defective equipment (burned out light), and no seatbelt --bam-- there are your three misdemeanors right there.

MKEgal

jpm84092 said:
The charge alone may result in a temporary suspension of your permit while the case moves through the court. This is at BCI discretion and you may appeal their decision.

A history of two or more driving 20+ miles over the limit will likely get you an invitation for a chat. If you decline, they may suspend your permit until you comply, but you can appeal.
From personal experience, they will revoke someone's license if accused of a misdemeanor.
Not convicted, tried, or sentenced, but simply charged.
And they'll tell you that the appeal to have it reinstated can't happen until after the charge works through the court.
I've found that's not what the law says, but learned it too late to appeal. :mad: