• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

frogfish

Frogfish checking in, recently moved to Knightdale because I found a job in Rocky Mount. Been carrying both in Knightdale and RM with no problems. Walmart, Tacobell, Zaxbys, Home Depot, Harris Teeter.

On the days I take the motorcycle to work, I have had several state troopers fly past me and none seemed to care about me OCing on the bike

Jamesm760

Moved to Salisbury

So I'm new to Salisbury, but so far I have had no problems at all.

I OCed at Lowes, Wally world, Food Lion, Little C Pizza, Several gas stations, autozone, advanced auto parts.

So far im liking this town. Will keep you guys posted on any negative experiences.

carsontech

Activist Member
Drove to the NC/VA border today to do some business. On the way back to SC, my father wanted to stop by and show me Micheal Waltrip's Headquarters in Cornelius, NC, as he maintains their aircraft.

When we pull up, the parking lot was full of pit crew members exercising. They were all geting yelled at like they were in basic getting ready to be Marines.

We walk in and start looking aroud at the place. Not one word was said about my Glock 17c in the Blackhawk Serpa on my hip for about 45 minutes. Only the few usual glances.

Then the tour started outside, so we walk out and get together with the rest of the tour group. The tour guide asks everyone where they're from one by one. When he gets to my dad and I, he asked us where we're from and "You're not going to shoot me are you?" in what seemed like a joking way, with a bit of seriousness to it.

I didn't even answer him. I just stared at him like he was a flying spaghetti monster. I hate it when people joke around like that.

Anway, the rest of the tour group didn't seem the least bit concerned about me or my gun.

The End

Last edited:

Jamesm760

Drove to the NC/VA border today to do some business. On the way back to SC, my father wanted to stop by and show me Micheal Waltrip's Headquarters in Cornelius, NC, as he maintains their aircraft.

When we pull up, the parking lot was full of pit crew members exercising. They were all geting yelled at like they were in basic getting ready to be Marines.

We walk in and start looking aroud at the place. Not one word was said about my Glock 17c in the Blackhawk Serpa on my hip for about 45 minutes. Only the few usual glances.

Then the tour started outside, so we walk out and get together with the rest of the tour group. The tour guide asks everyone where they're from one by one. When he gets to my dad and I, he asked us where we're from and "You're not going to shoot me are you?" in what seemed like a joking way, with a bit of seriousness to it.

I didn't even answer him. I just stared at him like he was a flying spaghetti monster. I hate it when people joke around like that.

Anway, the rest of the tour group didn't seem the least bit concerned about me or my gun.

The End

Answer: "Of course not, I only shoot people that ask sarcastic questions about topics that shouldn't really be joked with." (with a sarcastic tone) o_O

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Bad manners and making silly/stupid remarks in public about guns/self-defense are not in my playbook.

Paraphrasing my go to legal guy - don't ever say anything that might be repeated to your detriment that you would not say yourself in front of a judge in his courtroom.

Jamesm760

Bad manners and making silly/stupid remarks in public about guns/self-defense are not in my playbook.

Paraphrasing my go to legal guy - don't ever say anything that might be repeated to your detriment that you would not say yourself in front of a judge in his courtroom.

Hope you know we were kidding and would obviously never say that kind of response in a real situation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Hope you know we were kidding and would obviously never say that kind of response in a real situation.
Oh I didn't take it very seriously:), but seriously I don't say such things. Public postings can be used against you.

They have a way of turning on you and biting you in the....., of grabbing you by the......well you know THERE :uhoh:

Snaquebite

Hoke County/Rockfish

Had been to Wally World, Lowes,Food Lion and tractor supply (never a problem at any of these places). While in the parking lot leaving Lowes, had two people comment "glad to see that you carry". Both were CC'ing. One was another retired SF guy the other a younger guy with a nose ring. Had a short conversation with both.

On the way to my GF's house, drove through the local flea market. When I pulled out, I noticed a State Trooper sitting across the road and realized I did not put my seat belt back on. Too late....he pulled me over. I still had my Glock holstered, so I took it out and placed it visible on the passenger seat. As he approached I noticed he was checking out the "military related" decals on my rear window. One is the terrorist hunting permit decal. He told me that he stopped me for no seatbelt and needed to see my license and registration. (It was obvious he saw the Glock.) I removed my wallet which has my retired military ID clearly visible. He asked if I was military, I replied "retired". As he turned and walked away, he said "Have a nice day". I replied "Thank you officer" and drove off.

ron73440

Finally!!!

My wife was really nervous about OC so when I got home a week ago I promised her I would wait until our meet and greet on the 27th at Jeff's burgers and shakes in Jacksonville.

Nobody showed up, but I OC'd with no issues and got complimented on my "KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON" shirt.

After that we went to Flatwoods in Hubert and I shot 100 rounds, I did have to unload before I went to the line and reloaded at my truck after we were done.

On the way home we stopped at a little gas station and the Rite-Aid in New Bern with no issues.

I was a little surprised by how nervous I was, but as the day progressed, it got better.

Last edited:

Jamesm760

My wife was really nervous about OC so when I got home a week ago I promised her I would wait until our meet and greet on the 27th at Jeff's burgers and shakes in Jacksonville.

Nobody showed up, but I OC'd with no issues and got complimented on my "KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON" shirt.

After that we went to Flatwoods in Hubert and I shot 100 rounds, I did have to unload before I went to the line and reloaded at my truck after we were done.

On the way home we stopped at a little gas station and the Rite-Aid in New Bern with no issues.

I was a little surprised by how nervous I was, but as the day progressed, it got better.

:(

Jamesm760

Had to go to charlotte on friday and went to a nearby Walmart to look for some ammo, ended up getting this. DSCN0060.jpg :banana:

While I was there, I waited for the employee, he asked 'what do you need" while he glanced down at my Glock. He then said, I can't sell you any ammo if you are carrying. I asked if this was a new policy since I have never had that problem there before, he said yes, I then asked for a hard copy of the policy and he began to call his manager stating that he would have a manager come talk to me. He was on the phone telling his manager "I don't want to give him ammo if he has a gun".... Well, I don't know what the manager told him, but he got off the phone and opened up the ammo case.:banana:

bc.cruiser

While gassing up the Beemer near Winston-Salem this morning, a guy at the opposite pump asked what kind of 1911 I was OCing. After I told him, he asked if it was "legal to OC as long as you have a CHP". I probably should have stuck with the short answer and simply said "Yes". But I explained that OC is the default mode and no permission is required. REALLY??!!. Yep.
As I said, I should have given the short answer, because then my evil wise-acre twin took over: You must of course have a CHP to carry a concealed gun like this (pat left coat pocket; "oh, OK"), or this (pat left breast area of coat; "huh?"), or this (pat left pant cuff; "Oh, Lord, gotta go. Have a nice day!"). Wait, don't you want to know what's in the top case? lol:

bc.cruiser

Had to go to charlotte on friday and went to a nearby Walmart to look for some ammo, ended up getting this. View attachment 10669 :banana:

You're going to tell us you had two friends with you, right?

While I was there, I waited for the employee, he asked 'what do you need" while he glanced down at my Glock. He then said, I can't sell you any ammo if you are carrying. I asked if this was a new policy since I have never had that problem there before, he said yes, I then asked for a hard copy of the policy and he began to call his manager stating that he would have a manager come talk to me. He was on the phone telling his manager "I don't want to give him ammo if he has a gun".... Well, I don't know what the manager told him, but he got off the phone and opened up the ammo case.:banana:

Good job!

roushstang99

NC OC experience report

Great experience today, especially since this was only my second time to OC in NC. Walked right by a cop walking into the Kannapolis Walmart, he looked right at my gun but never said a word. I had 3 people stop and ask me about OC. All good conversations and just wanted to know what the law was for OC in NC. And one was CC with his wife and she said she might start to OC herself. I did get a few strange looks but I know I will always get those. I did use someone's "why do you open carry" line from another thread " So I don't have to use it". I don't remember who said it but thank you I think that is a great answer if someone ever ask why I OC. :banana:

Jamesm760

While gassing up the Beemer near Winston-Salem this morning, a guy at the opposite pump asked what kind of 1911 I was OCing. After I told him, he asked if it was "legal to OC as long as you have a CHP". I probably should have stuck with the short answer and simply said "Yes". But I explained that OC is the default mode and no permission is required. REALLY??!!. Yep.
As I said, I should have given the short answer, because then my evil wise-acre twin took over: You must of course have a CHP to carry a concealed gun like this (pat left coat pocket; "oh, OK"), or this (pat left breast area of coat; "huh?"), or this (pat left pant cuff; "Oh, Lord, gotta go. Have a nice day!"). Wait, don't you want to know what's in the top case? lol:

ROFL!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

And yes I had 1 friend with me, the guy asked if I wanted the 7th box since it was the last one (he might have been trying to kiss arse after what he pulled) the other 2 boxes were bought at another walmart.

Last edited:

Seduced

I've been reading every page of this thread over the last week (up to page 81 now) and thought I'd jump to the front and ask this question. If someone were to pull your handgun from your holster while OC (for the sake of this question, let's just assume they gain possession of your firearm regardless of your retention methods) and use the weapon for criminal activity including murder, are you as the OCer in anyway liable for what happens?

Last edited:

carolina guy

Had to go to charlotte on friday and went to a nearby Walmart to look for some ammo, ended up getting this. View attachment 10669 :banana:

(*thumbs up*) Getting ready for the range in a couple weekends? ;-)

carolina guy

I've been reading every page of this thread over the last week (up to page 81 now) and thought I'd jump to the front and ask this question. If someone were to pull your handgun from your holster while OC (for the sake of this question, let's just assume they gain possession of your firearm regardless of your retention methods) and use the weapon for criminal activity including murder, are you as the OCer in anyway liable for what happens?

Only if that "someone" is you...otherwise, I am assuming that you did not want them to take it from you.

But, that is just my $0.02 worth since IANAL.

Last edited: