• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Complete list of areas we can open carry

JamesB

thanks the map is awesome with the markers. sad to see people are posting signs then take then down and yet again repost.

A lot of those are places like Colorado Mills Mall. They never took down the signs, but you have to really want to find it and know what to look for in order to see it. So it was reported that they took them down because no one saw them, but they never actually moved.

Jonathan Hoff

well shouldn't it be mandatory that signs be posted in a high visibility area and easy to find. hiding a small sticker or something along those lines is unfair and wrong in my mind.

JamesB

Where does it say in the law that we cant open carry within a 1000 feet of schools? I have never seen this law in Colorado.

That's because it's a Federal law. Gun Free School Zones Act. Will the locals try to enfore a law that they really don't have any jurisdiction to? Do I really want to test them on it?

Jonathan Hoff said:
well shouldn't it be mandatory that signs be posted in a high visibility area and easy to find. hiding a small sticker or something along those lines is unfair and wrong in my mind.

I agree. There are a lot of other laws I would like to change as well. In this case, all the law says is that it must be posted. There are no further specifications.

Deserteagle8338

That's because it's a Federal law. Gun Free School Zones Act. Will the locals try to enfore a law that they really don't have any jurisdiction to? Do I really want to test them on it?

Looks like people with state issued concealed carry permits are exempted from the 1000ft rule. But I dont know if that applies to an open carrier with a CCW permit.

mahkagari

Looks like people with state issued concealed carry permits are exempted from the 1000ft rule. But I dont know if that applies to an open carrier with a CCW permit.

Yes, TMK. You can OC with a CCW permit. It came up during a political demonstration. The LEOs tried to use the 1000ft rule, but he had a CCW. He was technically on private property, so they revoked his permission to be there. He walked 20ft next door and had the consent of the owner. The 1000ft rule wouldn't apply since he was on privater property and even so had a CCW.

since9

Campaign Veteran

The 1000' rule still applies. Within the federal law is a blurb which allows states to allow carriers to carry within 1000' if they hold a CHP/CWP issued by the state in which they're carrying.

They're still subject to use restrictions within that 1000', meaning you can CC, but you can't use it without breaking fed rules against using it within 1000'. Falls into the "I'd rather face 12 men than be carried by 6. There's always the offhand chance if you ever did have to fire within 1000' of a school, those in charge would refuse to press charges in the interest of justice. There are folks out there like that in our criminal justice system. If there weren't, we'd have fallen as a country more than a century ago.

Beau

The 1000' rule still applies. Within the federal law is a blurb which allows states to allow carriers to carry within 1000' if they hold a CHP/CWP issued by the state in which they're carrying.

They're still subject to use restrictions within that 1000', meaning you can CC, but you can't use it without breaking fed rules against using it within 1000'. Falls into the "I'd rather face 12 men than be carried by 6. There's always the offhand chance if you ever did have to fire within 1000' of a school, those in charge would refuse to press charges in the interest of justice. There are folks out there like that in our criminal justice system. If there weren't, we'd have fallen as a country more than a century ago.

Off hand do you know what section states that? I'm aware of the exception to the 1000' rule for permit/license holders. Though I don't remember seeing anywhere that states you have to conceal, only that you have to hold a state issued permit.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Though I don't remember seeing anywhere that states you have to conceal, only that you have to hold a state issued permit.

That would be a state-issued concealed carry permit. As the permit is only for CC, it sort of implies you must be CCing. The point is not to freak out over-reactive teachers and school officials by OCing in front of a school.

Realistically speaking, those teachers and school officials require some special education to bring them up to speed with what the rest of us know about the foundations of our country and our current system of laws. Of course, there's the matter of overturning the un-Constitutional infringement on our Right to Keep and Bear Arms known as the "gun-free school zones act" aka the "free fire zone act."

mahkagari

The point is not to freak out over-reactive teachers and school officials by OCing in front of a school.

I think the point is, moreover, not to get caught in a loophole when you OC from your car that you parked down the block from the gun shop/sporting goods store because there is a small, barely-signed parochial school three blocks away you didn't know about. This is one of my primary reasons for a CCW. Google map [city name] + "school". There's not a whole lot of anywhere that is not 1000' from some sort of "school".

Another example was an event my wife and I took my kids to at a local elementary school. I kept my weapon locked in the glove box. Partway through my wife wanted to go get a Starbucks but she couldn't. If she returned to the school with the weapon in the vehicle without a CCW, she would be breaking the 1000' rule. Even though we arrived together, and it was my vehicle, if she got pulled over turning into the parking lot for neglecting to signal or something, she'd be in a whole world of trouble by driving onto the property of the school.

Jonathan Hoff

are you sure? in colorado you can have a weapon in the car on school property as along as the car is locked or it doesn't leave the car i had an issue with this with schools before and your car counts as private property.

JamesB

are you sure? in colorado you can have a weapon in the car on school property as along as the car is locked or it doesn't leave the car i had an issue with this with schools before and your car counts as private property.

Reread C.R.S. 18-12-105.5 and 18-12-214.

18-12-105.5 has some specific language for colleges, and some for not colleges.
18-12-214 is true if you have a permit, but not if not.

Without a permit, at an elementary or high school, your car is still your castle, but only while you are in it.

Beau

That would be a state-issued concealed carry permit. As the permit is only for CC, it sort of implies you must be CCing. The point is not to freak out over-reactive teachers and school officials by OCing in front of a school

So about states that don't specify CC on their permit? Indiana for instance issues a License To Carry Handgun (LTCH). It does not specify CC or OC and is required to do either.

So it we go by the text of the law one can OC in a school zone so long as they hold a state issued permit/ license to carry .

since9

Campaign Veteran
Off hand do you know what section states that? I'm aware of the exception to the 1000' rule for permit/license holders. Though I don't remember seeing anywhere that states you have to conceal, only that you have to hold a state issued permit.

Google map [city name] + "school". There's not a whole lot of anywhere that is not 1000' from some sort of "school".

Here in Colorado Springs, there are 142 schools which meet the GFSZA's requirements. Given the average acreage of a school, and adding 1,000' around it, then multiplying that times 142, gives us a square milage that comes to just a tad over 10% of the square milage of Colorado Springs as a whole. Thus, 90% of Colorado Springs is beyond that 1,000' border.

However, people don't stand still! We walk around, and if were to walk from any random point in Colorado Springs to another point 1 mile distant, chances are greater than 50% that I'd cross one of those borders. Thus, I have no problem driving to/from a restaurant, for example, for when I park, I'm doing so in their parking lot, and that's private property. Any time I head to an outdoor event, however, I Google map it and search diligently for schools. If they're within 1,500', I CC. If in doubt, I CC. If I can't find the information, I CC.

Another example was an event my wife and I took my kids to at a local elementary school. I kept my weapon locked in the glove box. Partway through my wife wanted to go get a Starbucks but she couldn't. If she returned to the school with the weapon in the vehicle without a CCW, she would be breaking the 1000' rule. Even though we arrived together, and it was my vehicle, if she got pulled over turning into the parking lot for neglecting to signal or something, she'd be in a whole world of trouble by driving onto the property of the school.

If you were in the vehicle and had your CHP (that's what it's called here in Colorado, not "CCW"), you'd have been legal to drive onto school property. Federal law doesn't specify either vehicle ownership or who's driving. It simply states that possessing a firearm within 1,000' of a school is legal with a concealed carry permit. Colorado law allows you to drive onto school property provided the firearm remains in the vehicle and in a compartment. The vehicle must remain locked, but there's no requirement for locking the vehicle.

The problems associated with the GFSZA are many, and serious. There's another thread on this forum which specifically deals with a bill introduced in 2011 to repeal the act. More on the problems, here.

repojoker

JoeSparky

Centurion
So about states that don't specify CC on their permit? Indiana for instance issues a License To Carry Handgun (LTCH). It does not specify CC or OC and is required to do either.

So it we go by the text of the law one can OC in a school zone so long as they hold a state issued permit/ license to carry .

All depends upon the STATUTE under which the permit is issued. In Texas concealment is required. In Colorado, Utah, and several others with the permits Concealment is ALLOWED but NOT REQUIRED.

Just because the permit says something like "Concealed Carry Permit" on the thing given one by the State does NOT mean that Concealment is Required.

Just think about your Vehicle Operators Permit or Drivers License, are you prohibited from walking once you have been issued a DL?

jhco50

I couldn't list all of the places I carry. I carry everywhere I go. There are only a couple of places I don't carry, the movie theater (all of the kids), and schools. I did take it out of the holster while at the Pueblo YMCA for my granddaughters birthday party because there were people elbow to elbow. If I want to go somewhere, I go. At the Quik Inn here in Security they call me cowboy. LOL

Beau

I couldn't list all of the places I carry. I carry everywhere I go. There are only a couple of places I don't carry, the movie theater (all of the kids), and schools. I did take it out of the holster while at the Pueblo YMCA for my granddaughters birthday party because there were people elbow to elbow. If I want to go somewhere, I go. At the Quik Inn here in Security they call me cowboy. LOL

So you don't carry at these places or you don't OC at these places? Seems to me those would be great places to carry. You know, because of all the kids. Are they not worth protecting?