• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California Drop list

flagellum

I have some questions that I had trouble finding the answer too.

Can a firearm that is NOT on the California drop list be possessed in the state of California?

If so, can that weapon be registered with a California CCW?

mjones

Presumably you are talking about the California Roster of not unsafe handguns.

This list ONLY applies to handguns for sale by a dealer.

It does NOT apply to handguns imported into the state
It does NOT apply to handguns traveling through the state nor brought in temporarily
It does NOT apply to intrafamilial transfers
It does NOT apply to Private Parter Transfers

I think I covered all the major bases.

heliopolissolutions

I believe he was asking if Californians are 'allowed' to qualify for a CCW with an off roster handgun and carry that off roster handgun.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
If so, can that weapon be registered with a California CCW?

I don't know of any restrictions on which kind of handguns you can put on your CCW application. I think if you lawfully own it, you can put it on the application. CA PC 12050 is the CCW laws. If you really want to make sure you can always read through that section.

mjones

I believe he was asking if Californians are 'allowed' to qualify for a CCW with an off roster handgun and carry that off roster handgun.

Thank you, this is what I meant to ask.

There is no statutory requirement to 'qualify' with a CCW weapon in CA.
There are no statutory requirements about what types of concealable weapons may be added to a license.
I can say that LA County does not require that a listed carry piece be on the roster.

But the sad reality is that there are 58 Sherrifs and 480 incorporated cities which might have their own Chief of Police. Because the issuing is discretionary (not 'shall issue') each issuing CLEO can basically get away with almost whatever they want. Some CLEOs do indeed use the roster as an 'approved list' of carry pieces.

Since your account shows you live in NV, I'm guessing you're asking on behalf of someone else. I would recommend you refer them to http://www.calccw.com/ and ask the question there in connection with a particular issuing authority.

Last edited:

jsebclark

Firearm on CCW License - Contra Costa County

I agree that there is no defined rule and that it is left up to probably any sheriff or Police Chief to decide how they will control your freedoms.

I know of an individual who possess one of the few California CCW permits here in Contra Costa County. He has told me that he can only list two firearms on his permit and that he can't carry a 1911 style firearm because he has been told that they aren't "Safe" carry firearms.

Interesting. :confused:

flagellum

Thank you for all your help thus far. My scenario is this: I own a firearm(not on the "safe" list) and I want to gift it to my Mom in California so that she could use it for concealed carry (we have a sheriff that understands the second amendment) what would be the lawful way to do so?