• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NBC 4 reports on an open carry protest

Dreamer

There is no VA Statute that prohibits carry on college or university campuses. The Statute gives these institutions the power to set their own administrative policies.

However, having a permit does not exempt one from these administrative policies.

Once again, the media shows it's utter lack of reading comprehension skills, in their unending service to the propaganda of the "anti's"...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The ability of colleges/universities to make their own rules regarding guns is derived from § 15.2-915. wherein only municipalities are restricted by preemption.

Thereafter the Va. Administrative Code leaves such schools of higher learning the ability to make rules. These rules may restrict students and employees from doing certain things which frequently include disallowing guns under potential penalty of being expelled or fired.

Private citizens not affiliated with the school are not however so governed.
The recent GMU case (DiGiacinto v. The Rectors and Visitors of George Mason University) was decided in favor of GMU insofar as students and staff + for others inside the buildings. The SC did not support that all guns be banned from the university, leaving the non-affiliated the otherwise legal ability to CC or OC on the grounds thereof.

Private colleges, not accepting any public funds (are there any?), would still be able to restrict any and all. Regarding all universities in Va., the only law that might be broken would be that of trespass - there is no more severe penalty.

As a foot note, I have carried at William & Mary, Univ. of Va. as well as numerous community colleges throughout the state.

Last edited:

nova

There is no law prohibiting carry at ANY Virginia public university. There are two universities that have gun bans in the Virginia Administrative Code (rules for state agencies...not law which that's Virginia Legislative Code) and these are GMU and VCU.

All other universities can only enforce their internal university policies against employees and students.

Of course, none of this applies to private univs... private universities being private property can tell you to leave for whatever reason they want.

Aknazer

A bit off-topic, but did anyone else notice that the rounds in the picture for the article all had spent primers?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Once again, the media shows it's utter lack of reading comprehension skills, in their unending service to the propaganda of the "anti's"...

Oh, they can read real good. They got to have a certain level of academic success to get those jobs. I'm betting its willful disregard for accuracy. I would not be surprised to find that it is occasionally deliberate deception.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Receiving public funds" does not restrict a private actor from banning guns from his premises.

Got to wrap my head tighter around that concept.
Every time I tip my head sideways, it rolls back out. :(

netsurf12

There is no VA Statute that prohibits carry on college or university campuses. The Statute gives these institutions the power to set their own administrative policies.

However, having a permit does not exempt one from these administrative policies.

Once again, the media shows it's utter lack of reading comprehension skills, in their unending service to the propaganda of the "anti's"...

Forgive me for having the exact info in front of me but I remember when I received my Conceal Carry Permit something about it specifically mentioning GMU as a prohibited place of Conceal Carry.

Would that be somehow wound into a statute?

On a personal note, I think it should be legal for a citizen to conceal or open carry on campus. I don't understand how people allow the government to "manage" rights on a place by place basis.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Forgive me for having the exact info in front of me but I remember when I received my Conceal Carry Permit something about it specifically mentioning GMU as a prohibited place of Conceal Carry.

Would that be somehow wound into a statute?

On a personal note, I think it should be legal for a citizen to conceal or open carry on campus. I don't understand how people allow the government to "manage" rights on a place by place basis.

There is no statute in Virginia governing carry on college campuses. George Mason Univ. and Va. Commonwealth Univ. have restrictions found in the Virginia Administrative Code whereby guns were not allowed on their property.

The recent ruling from the VA Supreme Court did have one element in it that was favorable to self-defense proponents in that it removed the cloud on carry outside of the buildings, on the grounds. Note students are still subject to academic sanctions and employees can still be fired.
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011/01/14/qt/virginia_supreme_court_upholds_george_mason_gun_ban