• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Belt Vs Paddle Holster

dmatting

Found an interesting video regarding kydex holsters. I'm not sure if the holster in this video is homemade or if it is a brand name and which brand name and model it would be.

[video=youtube;oDeKtgkZKmQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ[/video]

My understanding of the Safariland and Serpa holsters is that they both made of proprietary materials - not kydex.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Found an interesting video regarding kydex holsters. I'm not sure if the holster in this video is homemade or if it is a brand name and which brand name and model it would be.

[video=youtube;oDeKtgkZKmQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ[/video]

My understanding of the Safariland and Serpa holsters is that they both made of proprietary materials - not kydex.

Interesting video. Too bad they provide absolutely no information regarding the holster.

MKEgal

Most of the time I use a belt holster w/ retention strap.
When I ride, I don't have a belt on my riding pants, so I use a paddle (Fobus).
Or rather, once I get to where I'm going I uncase, load, & put it in the paddle holster.
Until 01NOV.
The only problem I've had w/ the paddle is once when I tried to draw from it @ the range it came off my belt instead of the pistol coming out.

sraacke

I open carry dailiy and prefer a belt holster for reasons already mentioned as well as I use a seperate firearm specific "gun belt" (outside of regular pants belt) that also has my extra Mag holder(s) opposite of my strong arm. A seperate firearm specific belt also comes in handy for other things such as, flashlight (in nylon case, cell phone case, voice recorder, etc. These items can be added or removed based on need. The "gunbelt" allows for placement of the sidearm anywhere I choose without having to deal with "belt loops".

Same here. I have nothing against paddles but I currently wear a belt holster on a dedicated pistol belt.

Don Barnett

Try One First

I bought a paddle holster for my Kimber Pro Carry II and took it back the next week.

It didn't work for me. Perhaps it is the shape of my hips, pelvis, whatever, but the entire rig would pull out when I drew the weapon.

I prefer a belt holster.

Baked on Grease

I bought a paddle holster for my Kimber Pro Carry II and took it back the next week.

It didn't work for me. Perhaps it is the shape of my hips, pelvis, whatever, but the entire rig would pull out when I drew the weapon.

I prefer a belt holster.

I had that issue at first, found that it was the retention screw that was tightened to the max causing it. Unscrew it a little to relieve tension on the gun and there was much less "pull" when I draw the gun. You'll have that on belt holsters too that come with retention screws.

GuidoZ

I've read a few people say they've tried to draw their gun yet pulled their paddle holster out instead. This sincerely confuses me - I own two paddle holsters (Safarliland ALS and stock XDm) and have used both. Never have I come even remotely close to drawing the holster out. I've even tried with the ALS. I've pulled, tugged, even tried to rip it off. It just doesn't seem possible. Even the stock XDm holster, which is tiny and somewhat cheap feeling, takes quite a bit of effort to pull off my belt if changing to a different carry accessory. (This includes when my pants are off and the holster has nothing but itself to keep it in place - requires two hands to remove it.)

How does those that stated their holster came off carry their holster? Not to sound condescending, but did you confirm you put it on correctly? Did you make sure it was seated all the way down and coupled around the gun belt (not some cheap department store belt) correctly? Did you ensure the retention was set correctly for your weapon of choice?

::EDIT:: I'm sincerely curious as I just can't fathom how this is possible with a properly used paddle holster, especially one that is belted on.

--
Peace. ~G

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

I've read a few people say they've tried to draw their gun yet pulled their paddle holster out instead. This sincerely confuses me - I own two paddle holsters (Safarliland ALS and stock XDm) and have used both. Never have I come even remotely close to drawing the holster out. I've even tried with the ALS. I've pulled, tugged, even tried to rip it off. It just doesn't seem possible. Even the stock XDm holster, which is tiny and somewhat cheap feeling, takes quite a bit of effort to pull off my belt if changing to a different carry accessory. (This includes when my pants are off and the holster has nothing but itself to keep it in place - requires two hands to remove it.)

How does those that stated their holster came off carry their holster? Not to sound condescending, but did you confirm you put it on correctly? Did you make sure it was seated all the way down and coupled around the gun belt (not some cheap department store belt) correctly? Did you ensure the retention was set correctly for your weapon of choice?

::EDIT:: I'm sincerely curious as I just can't fathom how this is possible with a properly used paddle holster, especially one that is belted on.

--
Peace. ~G

The issue stems from the "hooks" that alot of paddles have nowadays. I've seen some earlier ones and they don't have much, if at all, in the way of "pants retention systems" for lack of a better term. I'll quote myself from earlier to show...

Baked on Grease said:
I might have an upgraded model, but I use a Blackhawk paddle holster, and it comes with two sets of hooks to keep the paddle on you. One is adjustable to grab your belt from below after you've put it on... if you pull up then they catch on your belt and move no further. If you manage to twist those out of place to get past them, there is another hook down low, pointed outward from inside your pants on the paddle, that snags on your pants from inside further preventing removal of the holster.

The ones that slide right out either don't have these, or are so tiny/angled wrong that they are ineffectual.

GuidoZ

The issue stems from the "hooks" that alot of paddles have nowadays. I've seen some earlier ones and they don't have much, if at all, in the way of "pants retention systems" for lack of a better term. I'll quote myself from earlier to show...

The ones that slide right out either don't have these, or are so tiny/angled wrong that they are ineffectual.
That makes sense, and is also the only thing I can think of too. My Safariland has a hook-like part that, once put on correctly, literally locks underneath the belt. You have to physically pull it apart, while holding the belt down, then wiggle it up to even get it loose enough to pull apart and remove. It's just not possible for it to be ripped off. The belt, or it will break first. :eek:

--
Peace. ~G

Phoenix David

I like paddles for the ease of removal, but to me they seem to move a bit more on the belt than a belt (pancake) holster. Also for me the belt seems to pull the gun in tighter to the body. My paddles are Galco.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I like paddles for the ease of removal, but to me they seem to move a bit more on the belt than a belt (pancake) holster. Also for me the belt seems to pull the gun in tighter to the body. My paddles are Galco.

I have one Galco paddle holster for one of my 1911. I find that the smaller Galco paddle does tend to let the holster pull away from my body. I still use it, just put my belt on one notch tighter.

dmatting

I went to the local gun shop, wore the Serpa with my pistol in it and tried it out for probably 15 minutes or so. I have not tried the Safariland ALS but with the limited exposure to the Serpa, I went ahead and purchased it. I have been practicing with it every day and have not had any finger misplacement issues as discussed in some other threads.

The Serpa came with both the belt loop and the paddle. I have to say I like the paddle much better. It gives me more flexibility in placement of the holster - I can slide it fairly easily from around the 2:30 position to the 3:30 position without any problem. The belt loop option is somewhat limited - especially with the pants I typically wear - they have belt loops right at 3:00.

Thanks for all the input!

GuidoZ

I went to the local gun shop, wore the Serpa with my pistol in it and tried it out for probably 15 minutes or so. I have not tried the Safariland ALS but with the limited exposure to the Serpa, I went ahead and purchased it. I have been practicing with it every day and have not had any finger misplacement issues as discussed in some other threads.

The Serpa came with both the belt loop and the paddle. I have to say I like the paddle much better. It gives me more flexibility in placement of the holster - I can slide it fairly easily from around the 2:30 position to the 3:30 position without any problem. The belt loop option is somewhat limited - especially with the pants I typically wear - they have belt loops right at 3:00.

Thanks for all the input!
In my eyes, the correct answer is "Whatever one works for you!" In my case, it was the paddle Safariland ALS (with belt option). For others, it certainly could be something different. :cool:

--
Peace. ~G