• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for pistol safety/training course for Wife

Baked on Grease

Greetings all people with more knowledge than I, I call upon you for help in a matter I have. I have been OC_ing for a little while now, the Wife was very, very hesitant about me doing so. She was more afraid of cops and the legal system than BG's back then and was hoping it was only a 1 week thing I would "get over". Now she not only tells me to make sure I carry, but has expressed a desire to carry herself especially for those times I am not around. Rejoice! :p

I am looking for handgun safety and training courses for my wife somewhere in the Nova area, the closer to Sterling the better as we have a 19 month old to care for. Classroom only is fine but I would prefer one with range time with multiple guns/ammo types so she can get a feel for what she'd want. Personal 1 on 1 training is fine too (provided ammo and guns are provided by trainer, but we can pay for usage). Also, courses geared for women in specific might be nice.

She has only fired my 9mm and a 22 magnum revolver, so I would appreciate her getting some time on other types.

I know I can google these courses myself but I trust your judgement and opinions here more than a nameless review. I have already looked into them, but still want some extra opnions on what you suggest.

Sent using tapatalk

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
First, let me congratulate your wife for wanting to take the initiative to protect herself. I'm seeing more and more women in our classes who desire the training and knowledge to be able to protect themselves and their families.

I would hope that in your research, you looked at our classes. I think that our Testimonials page speaks for itself (http://proactiveshooters.com/testimonials/) but nonetheless I'm sure that others here will offer their various training experiences.

In the NoVa area, we offer our Basic Firearms Safety class at the Nation's gun show in Chantilly. We actually have some classes coming up there this weekend, Oct. 8 & 9. There's always a good number of women in our classes so she won't feel like she is alone. If she is interested, we are doing a ladies only charity shoot on October 29th at our outdoor range in Doswell, right next to Kings Dominion. There's a sticky in the forum about it. We're going to be doing some light training and some fun shooting activities. It would be a good way for her to get her feet wet and meet other female shooters. We plan to offer a regular ladies only range course in the near future.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of further assistance.

Blk97F150

In the NoVa area, we offer our Basic Firearms Safety class at the Nation's gun show in Chantilly. We actually have some classes coming up there this weekend, Oct. 8 & 9.

Hopefully you still have some slots open for this weekend's classes. This past weekend, I sent a link to your website to a couple of buddy's. (No idea if they can make it or not though. Hopefully they do).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I second Proshooter's class. In fact I sent my wife to one and it was top notch. There is at least one other that I have heard was good in NOVA and at least one that I wouldn't send anyone to.

Baked on Grease

First, let me congratulate your wife for wanting to take the initiative to protect herself. I'm seeing more and more women in our classes who desire the training and knowledge to be able to protect themselves and their families.

I would hope that in your research, you looked at our classes. I think that our Testimonials page speaks for itself (http://proactiveshooters.com/testimonials/) but nonetheless I'm sure that others here will offer their various training experiences.

In the NoVa area, we offer our Basic Firearms Safety class at the Nation's gun show in Chantilly. We actually have some classes coming up there this weekend, Oct. 8 & 9. There's always a good number of women in our classes so she won't feel like she is alone. If she is interested, we are doing a ladies only charity shoot on October 29th at our outdoor range in Doswell, right next to Kings Dominion. There's a sticky in the forum about it. We're going to be doing some light training and some fun shooting activities. It would be a good way for her to get her feet wet and meet other female shooters. We plan to offer a regular ladies only range course in the near future.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of further assistance.

How'd I know you'd be the first to respond?

Thanks for the info on the Doswell event, I sometimes miss stickies because I use my tablet and tapatalk app for forums which sperates stickies from the main forum in the listing. I will have to look into that, even though that might be a bit of a drive for her, it will probably be the most beneficial for her at this point.

Sent using tapatalk

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Baked on Grease thanks for the thread and ProShooter thanks for responding. The daughter of a co-worker of mine lives right up near Chantilly and my co-worker has been urging the daughter to take a CHP course so she can carry concealed while she jogs and such. I've forwarded your contact info to him so hopefully his daughter may stop in and take your class this weekend!

ProShooter

How'd I know you'd be the first to respond?

My "training" radar went off....sorry, couldn't help myself!

Thanks for the info on the Doswell event, I sometimes miss stickies because I use my tablet and tapatalk app for forums which sperates stickies from the main forum in the listing. I will have to look into that, even though that might be a bit of a drive for her, it will probably be the most beneficial for her at this point.

Hope she can make it! I think that she'll have fun!

ProShooter

Baked on Grease thanks for the thread and ProShooter thanks for responding. The daughter of a co-worker of mine lives right up near Chantilly and my co-worker has been urging the daughter to take a CHP course so she can carry concealed while she jogs and such. I've forwarded your contact info to him so hopefully his daughter may stop in and take your class this weekend!

Thanks, jmelvin! Hope that we see her in class this weekend.

Riana

Not to take anything from ProShooter (who's an excellent instructor), but something else these ladies could look into is our Meetup group - http://www.meetup.com/The-Shooting-Divas/ . It's free, and we have a good time.

While we do have a couple of instructors amongst us who offer classes (myself included), we offer an opportunity for gals to go out and shoot with other like-minded ladies, and even just social outings as well.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not to take anything from ProShooter (who's an excellent instructor), but something else these ladies could look into is our Meetup group - http://www.meetup.com/The-Shooting-Divas/ . It's free, and we have a good time.

While we do have a couple of instructors amongst us who offer classes (myself included), we offer an opportunity for gals to go out and shoot with other like-minded ladies, and even just social outings as well.

I didn't even think about your group Riana....

That's an excellent way for her to get her feet wet!

ProShooter

An outstanding group!

Looking forward to meeting all the divas who have signed up for our charity shoot!

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I am looking for handgun safety and training courses for my wife somewhere in the Nova area, the closer to Sterling the better as we have a 19 month old to care for. Classroom only is fine but I would prefer one with range time with multiple guns/ammo types so she can get a feel for what she'd want.

Try http://www.silvereaglegroup.com. In NOVA with a beautiful range.

Ed