• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got a safariland ALS, need some help

SovereignAxe

Ok, I got my ALS holster in the mail today and when I put my Walther in the gun rocked back and forth. The manual says to turn the hex screw at the bottom of the holster to tighten the tension. Well, I've tightened it to the point that I can't untighten it any more and it doesn't feel like there's any more tension than when I started. What am I doing wrong?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
When you say that you tightened it to the point where you can't untighten it, what do you mean? Does the screw just spin? In that case you may have stripped it. Retention screws are supposed to be adjusted in 1/4 turn increments so you may have overdone it. Got any pictures?

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

When you say that you tightened it to the point where you can't untighten it, what do you mean? Does the screw just spin? In that case you may have stripped it. Retention screws are supposed to be adjusted in 1/4 turn increments so you may have overdone it. Got any pictures?

No, the screw wont turn any more. It's like it was already at maximum pressure when I got it.

But it doesn't matter now. I stripped the head of the screw trying to untighten it, so I guess I'll either send it back or have to buy another one...or live with it rocking back and forth.

SovereignAxe

I just got off the phone with Safariland. They said they don't make a holster for my gun. Walther redesigned the P99 in 2004 (he said 2008, but the point still stands), and changed the name to the P99AS, and came out with the P99QA and P99DAO. Apparently this holster is designed for the old style P99, and is the reason for the rocking. I guess I'm sending it back to Amazon.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I just got off the phone with Safariland. They said they don't make a holster for my gun. Walther redesigned the P99 in 2004 (he said 2008, but the point still stands), and changed the name to the P99AS, and came out with the P99QA and P99DAO. Apparently this holster is designed for the old style P99, and is the reason for the rocking. I guess I'm sending it back to Amazon.

Well at least you figured it out!

SovereignAxe

lol I guess. it's kindof annoying, as I thought I'd be able to start OCing nowadays. Now I guess I'm going to send this back and get a serpa.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
lol I guess. it's kindof annoying, as I thought I'd be able to start OCing nowadays. Now I guess I'm going to send this back and get a serpa.

that sucks dude. I sold my serpa FOR the ALS. I love the ALS holster. I actually have a thread in here called "ALS - serpa killer"

SovereignAxe

that sucks dude. I sold my serpa FOR the ALS. I love the ALS holster. I actually have a thread in here called "ALS - serpa killer"

yeah, it does. IMO, the ALS is a superior design; extremely easy to use, release mechanism is hidden from view, and seems more reliable (can't be fouled by dirt or ice). Not only that, but it has a suede lining! And it's cheaper!

Oh well, I guess that's what I get for buying an "obscure" German pistol.

mel5051

Umm...

Ok, I got my ALS holster in the mail today and when I put my Walther in the gun rocked back and forth. The manual says to turn the hex screw at the bottom of the holster to tighten the tension. Well, I've tightened it to the point that I can't untighten it any more and it doesn't feel like there's any more tension than when I started. What am I doing wrong?

I have my P99 AS in that holster as we speak.. the screw holds the plastic block inside the holster at the bottom. Holster your empty weapon, use a small flat blade screwdriver and push block towards weapon and tighten down the screw. The closer the block the more retention and vice versa. With the plastic block firmly against the weapon there will be no rocking of your Walther :)

SovereignAxe

You know...when I was messing around with it it looked like that block should be moved up, but I didn't see any adjustments to do that, nor did the intructions give any indication that it was supposed to rotate.

I very much appreciate your help, but I already sent the holster back. I haven't bought a Serpa yet or anything else, but I'll keep this in mind before I do.

mel5051

ahhh

You know...when I was messing around with it it looked like that block should be moved up, but I didn't see any adjustments to do that, nor did the intructions give any indication that it was supposed to rotate.

I very much appreciate your help, but I already sent the holster back. I haven't bought a Serpa yet or anything else, but I'll keep this in mind before I do.

The 'tension screw' is the screw that holds that block :)