• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Job interview... Carry or not?

Baked on Grease

I will soon find myself without income as the new year comes, and as such have been on the hunt for a new source. My question, as presented in the title, is your opinions on carrying for the interview, either CC or OC.

Some of the positions I have been applying for are armed service postions, so I would be carrying on the job anyway. Don't worry, I won't turn into a Mall Ninja.

I am on the fence about it, and of course they can't complain about what they can't see, but I am still interested in your take on this.

Sent using tapatalk

grylnsmn

I will soon find myself without income as the new year comes, and as such have been on the hunt for a new source. My question, as presented in the title, is your opinions on carrying for the interview, either CC or OC.

Some of the positions I have been applying for are armed service postions, so I would be carrying on the job anyway. Don't worry, I won't turn into a Mall Ninja.

I am on the fence about it, and of course they can't complain about what they can't see, but I am still interested in your take on this.

Sent using tapatalk

My advice would be to not give them a reason to say no. If you choose to carry, go concealed until you can judge their views on workplace carry.

That way, if the subject comes up and they don't seem to have a problem, you can always reveal that you are carrying and switch to OC. However, if they see you carrying beforehand, you run the risk of them ruling you out before you start the interview.

I'm all for OC as a political statement, but a job interview is the wrong time to make such a statement (much like I CC at church because it's the wrong time to make that statement as well).

MilProGuy

I'd leave the weapon in the car for the interview, for the same good reasons that grylnsmn mentioned.

Last edited:

Steeler-gal

My advice would be to not give them a reason to say no. If you choose to carry, go concealed until you can judge their views on workplace carry.

That way, if the subject comes up and they don't seem to have a problem, you can always reveal that you are carrying and switch to OC. However, if they see you carrying beforehand, you run the risk of them ruling you out before you start the interview.

I'm all for OC as a political statement, but a job interview is the wrong time to make such a statement (much like I CC at church because it's the wrong time to make that statement as well).

I agree with this. Even if you think your job will require you to carry a firearm, don't give them any fire power to pass over you. Go CC for the interview and while on the interview ask what their policy is on firearms in the workplace.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I agree with this. Even if you think your job will require you to carry a firearm, don't give them any fire power to pass over you. Go CC for the interview and while on the interview ask what their policy is on firearms in the workplace.

I agree. Either leave it at home, car or CC until you get the job.
There are some here that will tell you to never give in but there are simple truths in life. One is you have to eat and in order to do that, you need to work.

If it appears the place is anti, you can decide if you want the job but in order to do that, you have to be offered it.

I suspect you'd already decided that anyway.:lol:

Chaingun81

I'd carry concealed or leave it in the car for the interview.

Same, conceal well or leave in the car. I'm sure you know that, but in case you interview at a federal facility make sure you leave it at home or in the car and park car off premises so you don't commit a felony. Don't even get me started on what I think of govts inane laws that make a felony out of completely victimless rule violation, but that's the way it is for now...

Last edited:

DJEEPER

I just had an interview with a second job (that i landed :) ) I carried concealed. I always carry....just because you cant see it doesnt mean it isnt there :)

until I have a personal armed (and well-trained) body guard assigned to me with loyalty....or a magical schedule that tells me every event where something bad will happen, i will carry. Whether I carry openly or not....that depends on the situation. One job, I carry openly. Another...not so much.

There is a time and a place, and as it has been stated, you need to decide for yourself which qualifies for what type of carry.

shot version: I recommend concealed for interview.

MilProGuy

never.

me too

me too

never.

Points taken.

But I still would not advise him to take his handgun into the job interview.

And...all the guns I have owned are, indeed, weapons. Guess it is not "politically-correct" to refer to them as such anymore.

I learned something new today.

Baked on Grease

Points taken.

But I still would not advise him to take his handgun into the job interview.

And...all the guns I have owned are, indeed, weapons. Guess it is not "politically-correct" to refer to them as such anymore.

I learned something new today.

Not trying to harp on you, but in the courts the different terms really do matter. Yes, it seems like it is just semantics, but the word weapon has negative connotations (sp?) attached to it and to a jury it takes effect. The point Ed makes, and I have been keen to follow, is that one should practice this distinction in life so that when you NEED to make that distinction it comes naturally.

Ed had a link for an article entitled "The 'W' word" but for the life of me I can't find it... Google fails me? The world is ending!

Sent using tapatalk

MilProGuy

Not trying to harp on you, but in the courts the different terms really do matter. Yes, it seems like it is just semantics, but the word weapon has negative connotations (sp?) attached to it and to a jury it takes effect. The point Ed makes, and I have been keen to follow, is that one should practice this distinction in life so that when you NEED to make that distinction it comes naturally.

Ed had a link for an article entitled "The 'W' word" but for the life of me I can't find it... Google fails me? The world is ending!

Sent using tapatalk

Thanks for taking the time to further explain.

I shall take to heart what you both have shared with me and endeavor to choose my words more carefully.

After all, public perception is very important to our cause.

Sangre

I would carry concealed for sure, you never know who is gunna be there I would love to OC at work but unfortunately that's not an option for me so I have to carry concealed. If I had OC'd to my interview I wouldn't have this job right now I'm sure of that and while I would love to choose someplace where I could I'm not lucky enough to have found one and I can't afford to be without a job.

CHILINVLN

Virginia is a right to work state, employment is at will, and you're on private property once at the employer. You can be denied employment for any reason (except for protected classes) and with so many people chasing after the same jobs...

I'll just leave it at that.

doug23838

I always wanted to OC or CC and let it be seen in an interview at someplace that is really anti-gun like Snagajob.
Just for the reaction. Once I don't NEED a job, I'll do it. After I hit the lotto, I'll do it.
I can't wait to tell yall about it.

Till then, and if I were interviewing cause I needed a job, I'd probably not give them a reason to deny me the job. I can do that myself.

I will say, that my company policy on firearms used to say: "Possession of a firearm of any type, for any reason, on company property or at a company event, .... is grounds for termination." Now reads: "Firearms are not permitted in the workplace without prior authorization."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It is not a legal difference, meaning the words are legally defined seperately. What I refer to is the perception of the judge/jury when they hear those two terms being used.

Sent using tapatalk

It's like the difference between attacked and struck.

The fellow gets punched either way but one is ominous and one is justifiable.