• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Logan's Roadhouse ban firearms?

Baked on Grease

Just had my first restauraunt "incident" while OC in Virginia. I went out for dinner with my wife and son to Logan's Roadhouse tonight, sat down, ordered drinks then food... 5 minutes later the manager on duty comes by my table.

He informed me that Logan's has a new policy as of six months ago that bans all firearms from their property and the reason is two fold, first he mentioned insurance costs... plausible I geuss, considering some gun shops and shows have this... Then he said that a few months ago a law was passed that [outright] banned firearms in resaurants that serve alcohol. I politely informed him that he was mistaken, and related the Va. law that was passed last year that allowed carry in restaurants but not consumption.

He apologized rather non chalantly but insisted that it was still against company policy to have any firearms on the property. He never mentioned CC, just out right not allowed on the property. I didn't offer to CC, I just bluntly asked my wife if she wanted to eat elsewhere and we got up and left. I made sure to hand over a No guns No money card before we left.

I forgot to ask if there was a customer complaint about it but I am not sure if it would have meant anything when you consider how flimsy his reasons were.

Tomorrow I will draft a letter to corporate about it and see what happens. My suspicions are that a company memo came out about a different state's law that only affected that state and he mistakenly applied it to all Logan's property nationwide. Or that it was just employees could not carry on property per corporate policy. Or he was talking out of his ass to appease another customer that complained...

I have carried at this particular Logan's at least 15 times in the last 8 months or so, never had any issue before, nor have I heard/read of other OCers having issues at any Logan's. We shall have to wait and aee how this pans out. I am currently writing this from my table at Famous Dave's, where the door greeter looked at my hip, smiled, and welcomes us and sat us at our table. I think I may write a thank you to FD thanking them for not having a policy that leaves me and my family defenseless from criminals in their parking lot and espouse my eagerness to eat there more often now.

My wife is furious, and if she wrote this it might be all caps... And all stars from Grapeshot censoring it. :p

Sent using tapatalk

eye95

I will refrain from spending money at Logan's.

If corporate does not deny or retract this policy, they will hear from me also. If Logan's changes their policy (or confirms that the manager was mistaken), I will rush out to Logan's to celebrate with a steak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Well, it's lost income for Logan's. Kudos for your handling of the situation. I would write them to let them know your concerns, at the very least you'll have their ignorance in writing if the manager was indeed accurate. My wife and I refuse to eat at TGIF for the same reason.

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

I will refrain from spending money at Logan's.

If corporate does not deny or retract this policy, they will hear from me also. If Logan's changes their policy (or confirms that the manager was mistaken), I will rush out to Logan's to celebrate with a steak.

I agree, maybe we can even have an OC dinner to celebrate. This really irks me though as I LOVE the brewski sirloin steak there... Soooo good. Oh well.

Well, it's lost income for Logan's. Kudos for your handling of the situation. I would write them to let them know your concerns, at the very least you'll have their ignorance in writing if the manager was indeed accurate. My wife and I refuse to eat at TGIF for the same reason.

Yeah, we used to love going out to TGIF before I would carry, but after learning they are quite anti self-defense we stopped going... Which also made my wife furious. :p

Sent using tapatalk

Last edited:

Jack House

Logan's is one of my favorite restaurants. It would be saddening if I were to find out that I am disallowed from their property.

Posted using my HTC Evo

sraacke

It's sad that here in Louisiana we can't even Open Carry in a resturant which serves alcohol even if we aren't drinking. Logans is a nice place to eat but I'm forced to conceal to go there and lately I just don't feel like I should be forced to cover my firearm to enjoy a nice meal.

hermannr

Am I ever glad I live in a state where you can OC or CC just about anywhere the feds don't restrict it (courthouse, jail, mental hospital).

Our only extra restriction is we cannot carry into an "over 21 only" type bar (usually those that don't or almost don't serve any food) Restaurants that serve are fine, and if you want a beer or glass of wine with your meal, that is fine too.

Baked on Grease

Letter to Logan's

This is only slightly (or largely.... eeek! ) plagiarized from other letters of similar gist to restaurants.... I am sure advocates of the 2a won't mind.

===========================================================================================

On Friday, December 2 2011, my wife and I sat with our son and prepared to have a wonderful meal at your fine restaurant; Logan's Roadhouse in Sterling Va. We sat down to eat, ordered drink and appetizer and even ordered our meal when we had a visitor at our table.

The manager on duty asked if I was in possession of a sidearm. When I answered yes, I was told I could not possess any firearm on the premises. He stated it was against the law to carry a firearm in an establishment that serves alcohol, to which I politely informed him he was wrong, telling him that the exact opposite was true in Virginia now that the General Assembly changed that law last year. I asked him if it was against corporate policy and he said regardless of the law it was against policy.

We promptly left our table and went to spend our money elsewhere. Our food probably arrived to an empty table.

This letter is not a protest nor a complaint of service. We were not harassed by management or any employees. We were not embarrassed or treated disrespectfully. We are not going to try to sue or organize a boycott. We are not claiming violation of our second amendment rights.

The purpose of this letter is to express only our disappointment in the decision made by your manager. He was forced into making the decision due to a complaint (assumed since I have carried here at least 15 times in the last 6 months with no issue) by another patron who either felt offended or threatened by the presence of a firearm. He had to choose between one patron whose sensitivities, ignorance and bigotry precipitated the event and another patron who had accepted responsibility for his own protection and defense – as well as the protection and defense of those around him. He had to choose which patron to possibly offend.

He chose poorly.

In this decision, he had to realize that he could have informed the complaining patron that I had broken no laws, had done nothing to provoke fear of myself or my sidearm and that as such was welcome to remain – armed. Instead, he chose the more politically correct option of asking the only armed person in the building to disarm. In doing so, he accepted responsibility for my protection and the protection of my wife. Without any implied slight, I can say that I did not think he was capable of fulfilling that responsibility.

My wife and I refuse to place our lives in the hands of a restaurant manager, so we had to leave. Please understand that. And, having been asked to disarm once, I must assume that my sidearm is unwelcome in the future as well. Therefore, we can never patronize Logan's again.

As stated above, this is not a boycott. This is a matter of not going where I am not certain of the safety and well being of my wife. I refuse to be, and allow my family to be, a victim of crime. If the manager was mistaken, I will gladly come back and spend my money at your establishment.

Redbaron007

Nice letter....although I would indicate you felt it did infringed on your 2A rights. JMHO.

On another note, the Logans here has had so-so to poor service. Plus, for the price, their steaks are average at best. :confused:
So, my wife and I don't eat there very often; only when others are going and have selected it.

eye95

Logan's did not infringe on his RKBA. They exercised their property rights. The carrier is free to carry on public property, on his property, and on the property of others who accept carry. The RKBA does not include carrying on the property of others who will not allow it.

<o>

Redbaron007

Logan's did not infringe on his RKBA. They exercised their property rights. The carrier is free to carry on public property, on his property, and on the property of others who accept carry. The RKBA does not include carrying on the property of others who will not allow it.

<o>

Did they not prevent him carrying?

I know what you're saying. My comment was to reflect he 'felt like they were infringed', not to say they were.

Jack House

Never ever use the word rights in a situation where you don't have any. It hurts more than it helps.

This is not a 2A issue, it's a business issue. There is a misunderstanding between yourself and the business and until that misunderstanding is resolved in a satisfactory manner, you will be unable to patronize that establishment.

Baked on Grease

I know what you're saying. My comment was to reflect he 'felt like they were infringed', not to say they were.

I know that it feels to us like a 2a infringement, but it isn't. The way the letter is written still portrays that feeling while denying it... I am a practicing politician. :D

Claiming infringment of RKBA, or even feeling thereof, tends to make people assume one is a gun nut and disregard the letter. Hopefully this letter will provoke a positive thought process.

And yes they prevented me from carrying, the manager said twice that I could not carry on the premises, no mention of concealing.

Sent using tapatalk

Last edited:

eye95

Meh. It matters not whether someone feels that their rights have been infringed, only whether they actually have been.

This is not a rights issue. Claiming it is diminishes real rights denials.

Baked on Grease

Meh. It matters not whether someone feels that their rights have been infringed, only whether they actually have been.

This is not a rights issue. Claiming it is diminishes real rights denials.

Just like claiming everything is racist, it's crying wolf and people will tune it out and ignore it after a time.

Sent using tapatalk

hermannr

The Restaurant owner has his rights, property rights, we have our rights, freedom of association. Both were presented in this discussion with the Restaurant manager. Both apply. It is kind of like some establishments have no shirt no shoes no service rules, or some of the really high priced restaurants , no jacket and tie. Those that post those signs loose that potential business, but that is their perogative.

This restaurant manager made a business decision, that may or may not backfire on him. One thing is certain, those that carry will not patronize his establishment...does that mean he will recover his lost revenue from those that don't want any to carry? Doubfull.

Brimstone Baritone

It is kind of like some establishments have no shirt no shoes no service rules, or some of the really high priced restaurants , no jacket and tie. Those that post those signs loose that potential business, but that is their perogative.

And if I walk into a black tie restaurant in bermuda shorts and flip flops, but the host seats me anyway, what harm have I done? I presented myself as a customer, and they accepted. If I have a mind to walk into a Logans, armed, then there is no sign (at least in Alabama) or policy that can stop me. If they accept me as a customer, despite policy, what harm is done? I have personally OC'd into, and been served at, a California Pizza Kitchen. I wasn't aware of their policy at the time, but apparently neither were the employees or managers that were there that night.

To be fair, if I am ever personally asked to leave they will never see me or my money again. But I won't support a boycott when there is not clear evidence that an anti-gun policy actually exists or is enforced. See the Hardee's issue for an example of just that.

Last edited:

FTG-05

Good letter. Did you send it yet? If so, how, e-mail, snail mail etc.?

Thanks and please let us know what they say.

Thanks,

Baked on Grease

Good letter. Did you send it yet? If so, how, e-mail, snail mail etc.?

Thanks and please let us know what they say.

Thanks,

Yes I have sent it, through email atm. If I don't recieve a response in a week I will send through snail mail.

Very curious of their response.

The one a couple of towns over that I have been to, I know doesn't have a 30.06 sign(TX Sign prohibiting carry), 51%(which they wouldn't have since they're not a bar), or even a "gun buster"(or other non-legally binding) sign.

There was no signage up at this location either. I didn't look when I left but just went back to check a little bit ago. It is just odd that I have carried at this specific location so often with not a peep. Goes to show just how dangerous these guns are huh? :what:

Sent using tapatalk