• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knives-what's your carry?

jahwarrior

throwing a knife in the yard is lots of fun. throwing a knife at an attacker is just stupid. you are NOT a ninja, no matter what you may think.

carry for myself

Cant say I'd ever suggest throwing your knife at anyone- unlike the movies, they dont tend to dig in and stick, and when they do,they dont normally drop the other guy quiet as....totally. Plus, tactics-wise, if you throw and miss, or if it hits and just bounces off to land at his feet- you've just given the enemy a weapon to mess you up with..

oh i totally agree. not something that would come to mind as a first idea. but last ditch, a good blade to the thigh can slow the guy down enough to get away haha. i would rather not though. not very accurate and even when you practice like its your job, its not a guaranteed hit, or a guaranteed result. but it is balanced enough to throw :-D haha

j4l

Ya, I make a few knives that balance well enough to throw, not that I would ever do so, however lol.

carry for myself

only time i would concider it at all. is within 10 feet. in my own home, when im otherwise unarmed and the guy is so massive i dont wanna get to close :lol:

j4l

ah, well then that's the perfect time for one of my biggies- not that you'd throw this one though..
lol
bs003.jpg

Mikhail Kalashnikov

They have a straight edge version but don't know if you can get the aluminum handle in it: http://sogknives.com/store/FSA-8.html

I love SOG knives and here is my daily carry: http://sogknives.com/store/AE-06.html

Yeah, I had a Flash II with the straight edge and I loved that knife. And funny that you mention the Aegis... That is my alternative, if I can't get the straight edge Flash II.

SOG definitely makes a quality product. Not the best steel, but my hold a great edge, stay tight, and haven't rusted. That's all I ask for in a daily carry knife.

j4l

My latest build-- not sure if Im going to keep the handles that thick, or sand them down a bit more.. Ill give it a few days to see if it "grows" on me..
440c 5" Spear Point with Walnut handles- 3 coats 100% tung oil.

sp2007.jpg

sp2008.jpg

sp2009.jpg

sp2012.jpg

sp2011.jpg

MiaStar

Right now, I just carry a Kobalt Tungsten-coated Steel box cutter. Sharper than any knife in my kitchen. But I will be getting a large jungle knife for the home, and a nice folding survival/tactical knife for carry.

I like swords also, and will be adding a sword set to my living room for both decoration and self-defense.

tombrewster421

c6e4d022-d438-d673.jpg
I carry a Blade-Tech U.L.U. Ultimate locking utility. It's tough and also made for skinning.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319162661.873497.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319162661.873497.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

j4l

Finally took my last build back to the bench, wanted to do more contouring of those handles, and thin them down a bit-

Rough sanded

2dp2002.jpg

Fine-sanded..

2dp2005.jpg

1st new coat of Tung oil... going to fine-sand it again tommorow once this coat soaks in more, then apply another coat of Oil..

2dp2007.jpg

2dp2008.jpg

2dp2009.jpg

Openlyaware

I agree

Yeah I've carried a knife (typically a 3" CRKT folder) daily since I was about 10 (except to k-12) but not with defense as the primary purpose. They're just so useful it's hard to imagine not having one. I feel more naked without my knife than without my gun.

IMG_4003.png

I wouldn't say a knife is really a backup, but it is better than nothing at all. A knife is a tool and very multi-purpose. I personnally always have a Spyderco or Benchmade on me, very good quality and smooth, quick operation.

Jake8x7

Activist Member
As I'm not old enough to CC in my state and I'm in college (no firearms allowed here), I carry a Benchmade Griptilian clipped to my right front pocket and a Boker Keycom on my keychain at all times. I am a 2nd degree Black belt Dan in Karate and have a matching training knife shipped from Benchmade. I train each and every day...

For those of you who carry knives as a 1st line of defense for any reason (your state won't let you CC/OC handguns etc) PLEASE learn to knife fight and defend yourself from knives at some sort of MMA place. Knife vs. knife never ends well...either he dies you die or you both die.

Jake8x7

Last edited: