• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I love Guns and Coffee counter Protest 2-14-12 at a Starbucks near you!

2a4all

Thank you for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

Thank you for your feedback regarding Starbucks' policy on open carry laws.

At Starbucks, we deeply respect the views of our customers and recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. We comply with local laws and statutes in the communities we serve. Our long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged and we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don't exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is prohibited.

As the public debate around this issue continues, we encourage customers and advocacy groups from both sides to share their input with their public officials. We are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society and believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.

If you have any further questions or concerns that I was unable to address, please feel free to let me know.

Warm Regards,
Kelsey F
Customer Relations
Starbucks Coffee Company
800 STARBUC (782-7282)
Monday through Friday, 5AM to 8PM (PST)
Color me biased, but when I see a response like this, I think that her last job was all about image and perception.

I wonder if she ran her response by the legal department before she sent it out.

The laws in VA do permit open carry, as has been pointed out many times, because no statute exists that prohibits it, but also because Virginia's constitution permits it.

The Constitution is a law, isn't it?

XD9mmguy

cant say as im much of a starbucks fan, but i plan on swinging past one on the 14th and support them in my adopted state.

XDguy

GreatDaneMan

Very good points Ed.

By the way, I completely forgot. My mother has a button making machine, the bigger ones, for her business..

I think we will make a couple. Also, is GUNS SAVE LIVES trademarked in any way? The orange stickers... I know I could probably hand them out free (Not at starbucks, mind you, in general), but what about for sale? Not in a financial position for free merch even for a good cause, I can barely afford to spend a couple bucks in starbucks on the 14th.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Very good points Ed.

By the way, I completely forgot. My mother has a button making machine, the bigger ones, for her business..

I think we will make a couple. Also, is GUNS SAVE LIVES trademarked in any way? The orange stickers... I know I could probably hand them out free (Not at starbucks, mind you, in general), but what about for sale? Not in a financial position for free merch even for a good cause, I can barely afford to spend a couple bucks in starbucks on the 14th.

Guns Saves Lives is trademarked by VCDL - indeed the ownership goes back many, many years before the mark was offically claimed.

Reiterating VCDL's position which I believe has been publicly stated before, there is no problem with the use of that mark if such use is utilized for the positive promotion of the RKBA, pro 2nd Amend, pro self-defense etc., etc. Indeed many others do so with the blessing and encouragement of all - some are producing and selling such to cover expenses or raise money, all well and good.

We encourage everyone to do what they can to help - many hands do make light work. Ed, as an example, has contributed much through his personal efforts.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Guns Saves Lives is trademarked by VCDL - indeed the ownership goes back many, many years before the mark was offically claimed.

Reiterating VCDL's position which I believe has been publicly stated before, there is no problem with the use of that mark if such use is utilized for the positive promotion of the RKBA, pro 2nd Amend, pro self-defense etc., etc. Indeed many others do so with the blessing and encouragement of all - some are producing and selling such to cover expenses or raise money, all well and good.

We encourage everyone to do what they can to help - many hands do make light work. Ed, as an example, has contributed much through his personal efforts.

1. I did register GSL because some anti's created stickers a few years ago with the word Saves crossed out and the word TAKE nexted to it. The mark was sold by me to VCDL for $10.00
2. I have no idea who owned the mark for the many Many years that Dale mentions as many, many people used it before and besides VCDL.
3. Dale is correct in the position that VCDL has said regarding the use of the mark.

GreatDaneMan

1. I did register GSL because some anti's created stickers a few years ago with the word Saves crossed out and the word TAKE nexted to it. The mark was sold by me to VCDL for $10.00
2. I have no idea who owned the mark for the many Many years that Dale mentions as many, many people used it before and besides VCDL.
3. Dale is correct in the position that VCDL has said regarding the use of the mark.

Thanks Grapeshot, and Ed. :D I cant believe I forgot about the button maker untill now.

va_tazdad

Anti WHOS???

LOL I stopped by Starbucks at Oxbridge today and the staff all said anti Who?

They invited everyone to stop by and show your support for the 2nd amendment.

Best part was that they haven't heard about any anti people planning anything.

I will be there on the 14th to see for myself.

wylde007

My Lovely Wife

Has a $5 gift certificate for Starbuck's. She doesn't drink much coffee. She never goes to Starbuck's. She said she would stop by and use it next week for a hot chocolate and maybe a biscotti or something... if you can get both of those for $5 I don't know.

I love my wife.

I plan to try and pick up one of those 96oz "take along" boxes and bring coffee to the tradesmen working on my house.

Something in the back of my mind has me wondering if this isn't just a super-clever marketing ploy hatched by Starbuck's to boost their sales numbers for February, knowing FULL WELL that the pro-liberty crowd is much more dedicated and committed to than the wet-blanket nancy antis...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Has a $5 gift certificate for Starbuck's. She doesn't drink much coffee. She never goes to Starbuck's. She said she would stop by and use it next week for a hot chocolate and maybe a biscotti or something... if you can get both of those for $5 I don't know.

I love my wife.

I plan to try and pick up one of those 96oz "take along" boxes and bring coffee to the tradesmen working on my house.

Something in the back of my mind has me wondering if this isn't just a super-clever marketing ploy hatched by Starbuck's to boost their sales numbers for February, knowing FULL WELL that the pro-liberty crowd is much more dedicated and committed to than the wet-blanket nancy antis...

Even if it were (don't see it that way) it would still make good press for us.

wylde007

It's just the conspiracy theorist in me.

I don't like spending a lot of money on coffee (well, anything, really) but I do like patronizing establishments who recognize the rights of customers and realize that customers are where they make their money. There are a lot more of "us" than there are of "them" but there are a lot more people who just don't care enough one way or t'other... and they sadly outnumber us all by quite a substantial margin.

Felix

Stopped by my bank branch today to pick up a supply of $2 bills. None on hand, had to order 100 bills, they'll be available Thursday.

Guess that's why Ed had a large stack...apparently bills are bundled in hundreds (of bills).

That's OK, I'm a Starbucks coffee drinker so I'll just continue paying with $2 bills til they run out.

doug23838

I'm going to try and hit a Starbucks (or two) between getting off work at 4:00ish and the OC dinner at 7:00. Sadly, 2 of the Starbucks, are on Short Pump Town Center property (according to the Starbucks locator) that is firmly anti.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I have already given out all my buttons to Starbucks employees.. and already started buying Tall, Hot, cheap, Blondes (their new blonde light roast) with $2.00 bills. I have around 200 of them. I plan on exchanging some $2 bills with those at Sunday breakfast that need them. I also have a 100 buttons that I will bring. I think I will give those away free to anyone that tips the Barista more than $1.00. :)

Since My Facebook page has over 15,000 confirmed and over 77,000 invited, 3 different news agencies have contacted me.. I gave first dibs to a local paper.

Ed

Nova_gts

You guys just don't understand where these anti gun groups are coming from do you?

We would have a fraction of the gun homicides we have if only the criminals had guns. Criminals are interested in getting money, not in killing people. Over 50% of U.S. gun homicides are due to arguments not criminals. (FBI Annual Uniform Crime Reports).
http://gunvictimsaction.org/blog/2012/02/do-we-know-what-would-happen-to-the-publics-safety-in-a-country-where-only-the-criminals-had-guns-yes-we-do/

just give the criminals your money and live happy...

..wait a second, according to them the NRA is the largest gun marketing organization... that would make these group the largest criminal organization, right?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
You guys just don't understand where these anti gun groups are coming from do you?

http://gunvictimsaction.org/blog/2012/02/do-we-know-what-would-happen-to-the-publics-safety-in-a-country-where-only-the-criminals-had-guns-yes-we-do/

just give the criminals your money and live happy...

..wait a second, according to them the NRA is the largest gun marketing organization... that would make these group the largest criminal organization, right?

I've lived in his model country (England). The aspect his argument overlooks is the great difference in culture. In England, it is an accepted fact of life that a person will be regularly victimized by petty (and sometimes no so petty) crime. Not to mention that the regularity of muggings etc. and the acquiescence with which people are condition to respond to such victimization leaves the door wide open for "crime of opportunity" rapes and the like (much more common over there).

While it is impossible to logically disprove the notion that human life is of a sanctity which justifies such a state of affairs (that is a matter of faith, I suppose, or one's established moral framework), I will merely point out that Americans will not tolerate living in this manner. As an American who has lived over there, I can attest to this fact. Such a way of life is diametrically opposed to the fundamental American values which are ingrained in me to the very core.

When I was victimized (robbed) while living in England, I had strong feelings of dissatisfaction with my culturally-imposed inability to react by asserting and defending my rights. I soon found that these feelings were not shared by, and in fact were rather mysterious to, most Britons I knew. Most of them seemed to expect that I should accept it as an inevitable occurrence and forget about it. But, as an American, that single event in a way began to define my experience in the country and my notions of English culture -- hence my subsequent repatriation with no regrets.

I generally have little patience for those who instruct Americans to expatriate at the first hint of dissatisfaction with governmentally-imposed restrictions on common lifestyles -- for instance, gay marriage or marijuana use ("If you don't like it you can git out!") -- but when confronted with such a huge cultural mismatch as demonstrated by this self-declared "patriot", I feel inclined to point out that the man doesn't understand, appreciate, or fit in in his own country.

Instead of attempting to fundamentally alter the entire culture of the country to which he assigns his so-called "patriotism" in order to emulate a "model" nation from which we rebelled, he should just move the **** to England.

Last edited:

Nova_gts

Assuming that the criminals only take your money and not your life...

They would NEVER do that, their just honest people trying to come across an easy buck.

In fact I propose all the anti gun people take turns walking down dark alleys, pockets full of cash. As long as they are non confrontational the criminals will politely ask for their cash and let them go on their merry way.. IF this works (ALL 14 million+ of them must participate) and gun violence drops to 75 deaths per year, I will switch sides!!! If not they can shut up or go live in England.

tim12232

Over on Glocktalk forums, there are a bunch of people going to the bank to get 2 dollar bills to use at starbucks to show the support for the 2nd amendment!!!