• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped in Tillicum for Foxhole and Library Visit

LkWd_Don

Had my 13yo son with me. Oc'ing my Taurus 24/7. First stop The Foxhole. Halfway through store had a few items picked out when a heavyset lady approaches. "Is that loaded" ? Me "I'm just following state law." Her "We don't allow loaded firearms in the store." Me " I'll just spend my money somewhere else," I guess you dont't mind losing the business?" Her "Not really."
As a Navy vet, this place really galls me. They have huge murals on the front of their store with the emblems of all the branches of our military. Above the emblems it says something to the effect of " We honor the service of our military." I'll follow up with owner if i can, notholding my breath.
Second stop Tillicum Library. Sure enough large sign on front door states "No Firearms on Property" Called The library asked why the sign? Was told by the manager that this has come up before and since they shared the building with Tillicum Community Center that the center has the right to deny firearms. She gave me number to the community center. Phone died before i could call. Will call Monday and find out if it is a government entity. I did find out that through City of Lakewood they get federal block grants from Dept. of Housing and Urban Development.
Last stop Harry Todd Park. Walked down to dock fisherman says as we walk by " That guys ready to blow someone away"! Just gave him a glance . Then 3 kids on scooters probably around 11 yo came over asked about my sidearm. Nicest encounter of day.
Earlier stopped at Walmart, Fred Meyers, QuanticoTactical, and Surplus Guns and Ammo. No problems.

Thanks for the heads up! If you find that either of them change their tunes, let me know please.
QuanticoTactical is great! Been in there many times and is where I had wife buy her Self Defense Pistol.

LkWd_Don

According to tax info the library is owned by the county, they told me they rent the space. So i would assume the hallway from the main entrance to the library door would be considered public access? A whole 6 feet. Other tenants in the building share main entrance but have there own accesss once inside. I guess ill just go sit down in library and read a bit.
As far as Foxhole they should probably paint over their murals. Ill go check out other surplus store down the street.

I've carried in nearly everyone on Pac Hwy through Lakewood without incident, not in Tillicum, though with being retired Army I go on and off the base frequently, so chances of shopping/stopping in Tillicum is good, unless I learn that they are too OC unfriendly. I know the president of the Neighborhood Association there and might need to ask Dave why Tillicum businesses are being so anti-constitutional.

Tacitus42

Im planning on going to library with Video cam and a recorder. Im prepared to ask if im being detained? Am i free to go? And im going silent after that. But the question is , since bldg is next to a school am i required then to show cpl and id as i would be withing 1000 feet?

tombrewster421

Im planning on going to library with Video cam and a recorder. Im prepared to ask if im being detained? Am i free to go? And im going silent after that. But the question is , since bldg is next to a school am i required then to show cpl and id as i would be withing 1000 feet?

Yes you would. Stupid school zones.

LkWd_Don

I have had several cops ask the same question. Apparently here in Washington they go by RS instead of Terry v Ohio RAS.

The RAS would throw me too as when I hear that term I think computer networking "Remote Access Server". When I was working as Armed Security Officer in S Carolina we had same authority as Sheriff to effect an arrest and we had to use C&S, alternately either CS, "C or S", or spell it out in our reports.

Tacitus42

After i wrote the Pierce County Library director about the no firearms sign and state preemtion, i recieved this reply tonite.....
Thank you for your patience. I had hoped to have a complete answer for you before replying.

First, I want to apologize for the unwelcoming experience you had when you visited the Tillicum Library and were met by a "no firearms sign" on the building's entry.

The Library's policy does allow firearms in our facilities as long as they are carried in compliance with State and Federal law. (You can find our policy here:
www.piercecountylibrary.org/about-us/policies/library-rules-conduct.htm)

We are actually a tenant in the building, which is operated by the Tillicum/American Lake Gardens Community Service Center Association, and was originally built by the County with a Federal Block Grant. (The Library is a separate entity from Pierce County.)

I am working with the Community Center about removing the sign from the front door of the area that our customers need to use to get to our portion of the building. For now, please disregard the sign when you are visiting the Library. We should have this resolved soon and I will let you know as soon as we do.

Again, I am very sorry about your experience visiting the Library, and I want to thank you for letting us know so we can address the situation.

Sincerely,

Georgia Lomax
Deputy Director

Direct phone: 253-548-3421
Pierce County Library System

Justman1020

I didn't read the whole thread because it was long, but i dont know if anyone else has pointed out that a LOT of their bumper stickers in the back of Foxholes say things like::

"Keep honking i'm reloading"

"tresspassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again"

"gun's dont kill people, people do"
exc...

hmmmm...... just sayin.

amzbrady

I didn't read the whole thread because it was long, but i dont know if anyone else has pointed out that a LOT of their bumper stickers in the back of Foxholes say things like::

"Keep honking i'm reloading"

"tresspassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again"

"gun's dont kill people, people do"
exc...

hmmmm...... just sayin.

One thing I've noticed is Hypocrites live by a different set of rules.

John Hardin

Reasonable suspicion.

The "articulable" part of "Reasonable Articulable Suspicion" is important. The officer has to be able to put his suspicion into words. "He looked suspicious" isn't enough. "He was acting in a suspicious manner, doing X in Y location while Z" such that some other reasonable person would agree "Yes, that's suspicious behavior all right..."

decklin

Tacitus42

Guy doesn't seem all there. He OC's in the small of his back in a non-retention holster where he has absolutely no positive control. He says he is pro 2A but then claims gun control works.
Just sayin'.

Ya i know he sounds like a nut. One of the self defense for me not for thee crowd. However what he did was legal just not smart.

rlacsamana1989

Thank You ,We are going back on Fri. I'll have a copy of letter with me. I'm also gonna send a copy to OC'er in vid who got detained and disarmed at the library. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmnFNQtrOa0&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Not familiar with that specific area but from the sounds of this thread there seems to be a school near?

In the video the guy makes it seem like he doesn't have his CPL, which wouldn't it make it illegal? The guy doesn't seem to be on top of the laws on open carry.

One other question I have, is it legal for him to carrying IWB on his back side? I wouldn't call that visible