• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buddies LEO interaction.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
So I have a friend who is stationed in Bremerton. He lives on the third floor of his apartment complex. He has multiple firearms. Today he was cleaning some of his guns. He got the shotgun out of his room and brought it into the living room. His blinds were open. The neighbors all the way across the complex in another building, saw him with the shotgun threw is patio door windows. They freaked out at the mere sight of the shotgun (that he had in his own residence) and called the police on him. The police showed up and talked to him for like 2 minutes and left.

The ****** part is, after the police left. his apt managers contacted his command. They claimed it was "Policy". So My buddy goes to work and is ambushed and chewed out for 45 minutes straight by his chief. Instead of the chief hearing his side first like he should of. He just assumed and jumped to conclusions.

He was braking no laws, and in his place of residence. Yet he gets the cops called on him and chewed out for no real reason. F@%in anti's.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
yes he did. Once the chief got done yelling, he explained what happened and everything was fine.

fire suppressor

At least the police did not kick his door down and order him to the ground at gun point. I'm not a fancy city lawyer but I would try and get a copy of that "policy" don't know what law the land lord broke but there has to be one. I'm not too far away from your friend I am in Poulsbo if he wants to have a open carry gun cleaning party in front of his window let me know I'll show up with my collection

fire suppressor

Let your friend know he can go to CENCOM (the 911 center for kitsap county) in bremerton and request a copy of the 911 call made and the police radio traffic. Anything that goes over the radio is considered public information and he has a legal right to it. CENCOM will burn the entire event start to finish on a CD and give it to him

Blk97F150

Let your friend know he can go to CENCOM (the 911 center for kitsap county) in bremerton and request a copy of the 911 call made and the police radio traffic. Anything that goes over the radio is considered public information and he has a legal right to it. CENCOM will burn the entire event start to finish on a CD and give it to him

He should be able to create a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request for the police report too.

amlevin

yes he did. Once the chief got done yelling, he explained what happened and everything was fine.

It's in their nature to get all pissed off regardless. All my NCO's went off on anyone that they got called on for even the slightest infraction both on and off post. Don't salute in a timely manner while walking, get chewed out by the First Sergeant. Take your cover off and scratch your head when outside, get chewed out. Get a traffic ticket, get chewed out. Don't pay a bill on time and have the command notified you owe money, get really chewed out.

When I got out, my butt was so used to being chewed, for a while I thought it was made of bubble gum.

Levi

I'd also recommend that your buddy carefully read his lease agreement. My bet is there is no said policy he signed.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
So what was his "Chief" under the assumption that he did? What did the manager tell his command?

Not really sure. I think the chief just heard police and firearms and didn't hear anything else. You know how they get. They will pick at certain words when you talk to them to try and make it sound like it's worse than it really is.

From what he told me. He said the manager is required by policy to inform the command of military residents if the police are called out for any reason. I don't know much more. I just thought it was stupid and had to share it with everyone.

ManInBlack

From what he told me. He said the manager is required by policy to inform the command of military residents if the police are called out for any reason. I don't know much more. I just thought it was stupid and had to share it with everyone.

Is this on-base housing or something? I have never heard of such a policy, and have never signed a lease which included a provision that military members would have their commands notified for violating policies.

Are they really going to notify if they catch someone with an unauthorized pet? Prohibited decorations on their porch?

amlevin

Is this on-base housing or something? I have never heard of such a policy, and have never signed a lease which included a provision that military members would have their commands notified for violating policies.

You've never lived in Bremerton or the surrounding area. I grew up near there and started out my adult life in Bremerton. Damn near all the rental housing there has some form of military tenant. It's a NAVY town.

Of course being from Idaho, not too many ships make their home ports near you.

ManInBlack

You've never lived in Bremerton or the surrounding area. I grew up near there and started out my adult life in Bremerton. Damn near all the rental housing there has some form of military tenant. It's a NAVY town.

Of course being from Idaho, not too many ships make their home ports near you.

I don't doubt that most rental housing in Bremerton has military tenants. That's really quite irrelevant to the question of why a private business would add a stipulation to their policies which results in additional work, no additional revenue, and the possible loss of a paying tenant (a guy could get kicked out of the military with enough bad reports, and lose the means to pay for housing). Unless you are chasing down a military member for bad debt, there is really no good reason to get the military involved in your private dealings.

Just FYI, I was born and raised in Alaska, went to high school in the Seattle area, lived in New Orleans for several years, and moved to Idaho two years ago. All are areas with a significant military presence - we even have a real live Air Force Base here in rinky-dink Idaho (Mountain Home)!!! I've taken classes out at Gowen Field, the Reserve base just south of town.

I am very, very familiar with Bremerton.

I'm sure you know by now what ASSuming does.

SigGuy23

Activist Member

Are they really going to notify if they catch someone with an unauthorized pet? Prohibited decorations on their porch?

No it's not base housing. Just a regular apartment complex. I thought it was strange too.

hermannr

It's in their nature to get all pissed off regardless. All my NCO's went off on anyone that they got called on for even the slightest infraction both on and off post. Don't salute in a timely manner while walking, get chewed out by the First Sergeant. Take your cover off and scratch your head when outside, get chewed out. Get a traffic ticket, get chewed out. Don't pay a bill on time and have the command notified you owe money, get really chewed out.

When I got out, my butt was so used to being chewed, for a while I thought it was made of bubble gum.

I would not paint all NCOs and Senior NCOs with that brush. I was one once, and I never yelled at anyone, and I alway got my guys to do what needed to get done. I also worked for a MSG and First Sgt that never did anything like that. My best military friend is a retired First Sgt,

If you want people to really work (break a**) for you, you treat them as if they are intelligent, rational humans, and with respect, and they will do anything you ask them to.

sudden valley gunner

I would not paint all NCOs and Senior NCOs with that brush. I was one once, and I never yelled at anyone, and I alway got my guys to do what needed to get done. I also worked for a MSG and First Sgt that never did anything like that. My best military friend is a retired First Sgt,

If you want people to really work (break a**) for you, you treat them as if they are intelligent, rational humans, and with respect, and they will do anything you ask them to.

I find this usually works fairly well in the private sector too, I have had employees ask me if I ever yell. I figure by the the time we reach that point there is no use working with each other.

Jeff Hayes

My son is a USMC NCO/Operations Chief and very seldom raises his voice to his people, his battery receives very high performance reviews and he has been awarded the Navy & Marine Commendation Medal two times in the last year. So you do not have to yell to get things done correctly. Currently he is deployed in Afghanistan.

decklin

My son is a USMC NCO/Operations Chief and very seldom raises his voice to his people, his battery receives very high performance reviews and he has been awarded the Navy & Marine Commendation Medal two times in the last year. So you do not have to yell to get things done correctly. Currently he is deployed in Afghanistan.

When I was a Private I was fortunate to have leadership that constantly yelled at my platoon and smoked us (made us do physical training until muscle failure, vomiting, passing out, etc) for the smallest infractions. As an example, one of the guys in my platoon missed a couple hairs on the corners of his mouth while shaving. The Platoon Leader dusted off the entire platoon for not policing up our battle buddy. This was during my first tour in Iraq. We spent nearly a year getting smoked and messed with every day and frequently multiple times a day.
During this time we were split off from our Company. When we finally linked back up with the Company in the last few months of that tour the other Platoon Sergeants pulled our Platoon Sergeant and PL off to the side and told them to cool it. They reminded them we were armed and they were lucky that they hadn't had an "accident" with a confiscated AK47.
The reason I told this long and drawn out story is to agree with you. I say I was fortunate this happened because it taught me exaclty the kind of NCO I didn't want to be. I promised myself I wouldn't be like that. As far as I know I kept that promise.
I found most soldiers will respond with just talking. Most soldiers only need to be fixed with a word. Occasionally though you get that one soldier you just have to dust off because he just doesn't seemt to listen.

Jeff Hayes

The reason I told this long and drawn out story is to agree with you. I say I was fortunate this happened because it taught me exaclty the kind of NCO I didn't want to be. I promised myself I wouldn't be like that. As far as I know I kept that promise.

That is almost a verbatim quote from my son almost word for word.