• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP wait... Been one month today

Medic1210

So my CHP expired while I was in Afghanistan for 20 months, and I missed my window of getting it renewed upon my return. Well, fast forward about 8 months, the wife and I took the CHP class las month, and submitted our paperwork on April 24. Interestingly, my wife's permit comes in on the 10th of May, but I'm still waiting for mine. Wonder what's up? Interesting thing is, I have a secret security clearance, which required having an extensive background check performed that went back 10 years. Much more extensive and thorough than any background checks done for the CHP. I would have thought that would speed my permit up, but I guess not. Wonder what the holdup is?

cricketdad

So my CHP expired while I was in Afghanistan for 20 months, and I missed my window of getting it renewed upon my return. Well, fast forward about 8 months, the wife and I took the CHP class las month, and submitted our paperwork on April 24. Interestingly, my wife's permit comes in on the 10th of May, but I'm still waiting for mine. Wonder what's up? Interesting thing is, I have a secret security clearance, which required having an extensive background check performed that went back 10 years. Much more extensive and thorough than any background checks done for the CHP. I would have thought that would speed my permit up, but I guess not. Wonder what the holdup is?

Call and ask.

Medic1210

I had called several times, and the answer I always got was, they were waiting on Raleigh to send it. At any rate, it's a nonissue now, as I got the call this afternoon that it had arrived. I'm guessing the state only prints the permits in runs twice a month, because my wife's was dated with a May 1st expiration while mine was dated with a May 15th expiration. Oh well, I got it now, and don't plan on letting it expire again.

Dreamer

NC Concealed Handgun Permits are NOT issued by the State. They are issued by your local Sheriff. His staff processes the application, does the background check and prints the card. There is no input at all from Raleigh, unless it's regarding mental health records.

I got my permit in Beaufort County in under 14 days.

IF they are saying they are waiting for "Raleigh to send them the card" they are probably lying, and are just sitting on it because they don't like to issue them, or they have "better things to do".

Under NC law, your Sheriff has 90 days to issue a permit if the applicant meets all requirements. Getting your permit in 4 weeks is not unreasonable, is is about average turnaround in NC. Some counties--especially smaller, rural counties, issue REALLY quickly, because they don't have much of a workload. Some counties have a LOT of other stuff to do, or have a LOT of permit apps to process, and take longer. And some counties will sit on them for the legal limit, and issue them at Day 89, just to mess with you...

Medic1210

NC Concealed Handgun Permits are NOT issued by the State. They are issued by your local Sheriff. His staff processes the application, does the background check and prints the card. There is no input at all from Raleigh, unless it's regarding mental health records.

IF they are saying they are waiting for "Raleigh to send them the card" they are probably lying, and are just sitting on it because they don't like to issue them, or they have "better things to do".

Under NC law, your Sheriff has 90 days to issue a permit if the applicant meets all requirements. Getting your permit in 4 weeks is not unreasonable, is is about average turnaround in NC. Some counties--especially smaller, rural counties, issue REALLY quickly, because they don't have much of a workload. Some counties have a LOT of other stuff to do, or have a LOT of permit apps to process, and take longer. And some counties will sit on them for the legal limit, and issue them at Day 89, just to mess with you...

I'm not disputing what you're telling me, but I have several friends on the Sheriff's department, one being the chief deputy himself. I tried getting him to renew my license without taking the class, and he told me he'd need to call Raleigh to see how long I'd been lapsed, but given I'd been back in the country for more than 90 days, he said his hands were tied. Again, this is a pretty good friend, whom I have no reason not to believe. He said Raleigh is involved. Maybe it's the background checks, but from talking to him, it sounded like the permits are printed there, and shipped to the local Sheriff, who then affixes his signature and seal. I'll ask him for clarification when I see him again and report back. Again, my wife and I submitted all paperwork at the same time, and hers was ready on the 10th. If they were done locally, you'd think both of ours wold have been ready at the same time. Oh well, not an issue anymore, but I'll still see what I can find out.

Last edited:

diablos30

its 45 days now, changed 1 dec 11

moonie

I'm at 45 days today in Davidson Co. No call yet...

To update this post, I did receive the call just before lunch time, went and picked up my permit. Now I can open carry in TN this weekend while on vacation!

Last edited:

rotorhead

Your security clearance won't have anything to do with it. The Army won't share the info that they have obtained with a local sheriff without a warrant in most cases. The most they will do is report your current clearance level. They won't let the sheriff know what was obtained, how they obtained it, or how deep they looked for it.

There could be several reasons why yours isn't there yet and your wife's came through already, but I doubt it's anything to do with your clearance or service one way or the other.

ArmySoldier22

sadly true, just a chicken$hit way for them to not comply with the intent of the new law.

Speaking of which, I just hit 46 days today and decided to give the Cabarrus County sheriff's office a call. They told me that they had to resend out my prints again because the first ones they sent out weren't readable. So by the 45 days After receiving the reports back, I could have to wait another couple months... Bulls***

Last edited:

94 at Large

Speaking of which, I just hit 46 days today and decided to give the Cabarrus County sheriff's office a call. They told me that they had to resend out my prints again because the first ones they sent out weren't readable. So by the 45 days After receiving the reports back, I could have to wait another couple months... Bulls***

That's curious, indeed. Did you have to go back and be printed again? If not, how is re-sending the prints that were unreadable going to make them readable this time? I mean, I was printed electronically and if they were no good then they wouldn't be any good, period. Bulls*** is an understatement.

ArmySoldier22

That's curious, indeed. Did you have to go back and be printed again? If not, how is re-sending the prints that were unreadable going to make them readable this time? I mean, I was printed electronically and if they were no good then they wouldn't be any good, period. Bulls*** is an understatement.

Nope, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one myself. I wouldn't have even found out if I hadn't called them today. But, being that I don't know the complete process they go through for it, I guess I can't say one way or another. It does seem like a bunch of bs though. I'm making a trip to the beach down in SC next month, and I was hoping to not have to leave my firearm behind.

NC-Heel

From what I understand the cards come from Raleigh. The last time I renewed the person in charge of concealed permits in Mecklenburg Co. screwed up and laminated mine before I signed it. She said they would have to send off for a duplicate from Raleigh. In the mean time she gave me a temporary one that took about 10 minutes to create. If they had the cards why not make me a new one? Temp looked just like regular ones except no NC seal on the front and it said Temporary across the top. New one has the expiration date with Duplicate written beside it. Not like they got any extra money out of it for the extra work they had to do.

madcitysw

I went and fill out the application for my permit at my local sheriff dept and got finger printed and paid the $90.00 fee and told me it will be two months before I would get it. I like wow because our permit ain't cheap to get and it takes that long?