• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Probably mentioned before, but??

fjpro2a

Does this make sense, or am I being naive? Would it be a good idea to discuss with Police Departments that open carriers would be willing for, say, a year, to show ID when an LEO approaches due to a MWAG call as long as the OC'er and the LEO agree to both see the caller and explain that open carry is legal? The LEO would have to say that the OC'er did not have to show ID, but did so because of this one year program. The OC'er would have to say that he/she agreed to this program for a year in order to educate the general public that may not be aware of the law. Both would discuss the "problem" with callers saying they feel uncomfortable when seeing a firearm. LEO could not say anything derogatory about OC'ers and the OC'er could not say anything derogatory about LEO's. :confused:

CCinMaine

This sounds like a bad idea. Cooperation with Leo's demands is OK if you want to but where does this go from there? Giving up all your 4a rights for a year? Why should we have to give in to inform that its legal to OC in most places. This is an issue of giving emergency response operators proper training on what does and doesn't require a cop when it comes to mwag calls. How com cops don't come rushing when someone calls 911 because mcdonalds screwed up their order? Because no laws were broken. Same thing when I'm carrying a firearm. Unless you think that the cops should respond to calls that a fast food joint screwed up their order and should demand the id of all the employees responsible.

Giving away rights for any reason is always a bad idea.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

twoskinsonemanns

Does this make sense, or am I being naive? Would it be a good idea to discuss with Police Departments that open carriers would be willing for, say, a year, to show ID when an LEO approaches due to a MWAG call as long as the OC'er and the LEO agree to both see the caller and explain that open carry is legal? The LEO would have to say that the OC'er did not have to show ID, but did so because of this one year program. The OC'er would have to say that he/she agreed to this program for a year in order to educate the general public that may not be aware of the law. Both would discuss the "problem" with callers saying they feel uncomfortable when seeing a firearm. LEO could not say anything derogatory about OC'ers and the OC'er could not say anything derogatory about LEO's. :confused:

FJ I believe your heart is in the right place, but I feel like if this problem of MWAG calls is admitted by the LEO to the point that they would agree to some kind of "one year program", then they recognize the problem is not with us. The problem is with LEO and their interaction with people who call MWAG.

The better answer is for LEO to have a one year program to teach them OC is NOT evidence of criminal action and people calling MWAG need to be educated to that end.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

WHO would make this agreement? I'm certainly not going to allow other OCers to make any such agreement on my behalf. Nor am I going to give up 1st Amendment rights (to say what I believe) or make the determination of whether what I or a police officer says is "derogatory".

You may have the germ of two good ideas here (mutual respect and education), but not a solid proposal, IMO.

09jisaac

This is a better idea that may only cost the price of postage. Mail a letter to the dispatch centers and all police departments with jurisdiction where you plan to travel. Send it certified mail, probably address to the chief of the department or head of training, whatever. Inform then of all applicable laws and the way you have interpreted them. Have case law or attorney general opinion? Include that too.

Mention in your letter how immunity usually is only given if the officer does not believe he is breaking the law, as this is true. Inform them of all laws that they may try to use against you. If you do not meet the requirements for DC just for OCing, tell them so.

Include in your letter that they should inform a concerned caller that, unless you are breaking some other law, it is not illegal to carry a firearm in a proper holster.

Since it is certified mail, they know you have proof that it was received by the department.

They will run it through their legal department and it will take a while to trickle down to patrol. It may never get too far, but now you have a better legal ground of one of these departments intrudes on your rights.

fjpro2a

Not a good idea, i guess

To all who responded, your comments have made me realize that my suggestion wasn't too good. All 7 responses were negative, while not one was in favor of it. Therefore, I would like to propose that the length of time for this idea be reduced from one year to just 6 months. Just kidding!!!! Look guys and gals. I come up with an idea (good or bad,) and I like to post it. My belief is that the good ideas take hold and the bad ones die. After reading your responses, my position on this issue has changed. It honestly seemed to have some merit at the time, but that has gone. Don't dissuade people from posting ideas, though. Maybe, just maybe a good idea will surface that can substantially help the Open Carry movement. Thanks.

CCinMaine

To all who responded, your comments have made me realize that my suggestion wasn't too good. All 7 responses were negative, while not one was in favor of it. Therefore, I would like to propose that the length of time for this idea be reduced from one year to just 6 months. Just kidding!!!! Look guys and gals. I come up with an idea (good or bad,) and I like to post it. My belief is that the good ideas take hold and the bad ones die. After reading your responses, my position on this issue has changed. It honestly seemed to have some merit at the time, but that has gone. Don't dissuade people from posting ideas, though. Maybe, just maybe a good idea will surface that can substantially help the Open Carry movement. Thanks.

Don't take it personally. None of these are attacks against you and don't hesitate to post ideas in the future. We are not just pro 2a here. We are pro bill of rights.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

09jisaac

Don't take it personally. None of these are attacks against you and don't hesitate to post ideas in the future. We are not just pro 2a here. We are pro [strike]bill of[/strike] rights.

Fixed it for you. Your point still stands though. Anyone can state their opinion, just be prepared to hear (read) the opinion of others.

OP, you were trying to suggest a way the world a better place for self defense rights. For that you get respect. Most of us just don't see trading any rights for any other. All rights are equally important, we just hold our 2A closer because we usually think that is the way to keep the others.

CCinMaine

Fixed it for you. Your point still stands though. Anyone can state their opinion, just be prepared to hear (read) the opinion of others.

OP, you were trying to suggest a way the world a better place for self defense rights. For that you get respect. Most of us just don't see trading any rights for any other. All rights are equally important, we just hold our 2A closer because we usually think that is the way to keep the others.

Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2