• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun and gun price question

Nascar24Glock

I've got a family member that may be interested in getting a firearm. Among the potential options is the Ruger LCP .380 auto. Right now, there's a gun show in my area selling them for about $300. Is that a typical price for one?

Also, what would be some suggestions for similar guns? If I recall right, this family member has previously borrowed a Sig Sauer .380 and somewhat liked it. But, preferably, this person would like a small, light-weight gun with some sort of manual safety on it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Go to auction sites like Gunbroker and Auction Arms (the biggies) and on-line sellers like Bud's Guns and CDNN to check prices. Add shipping and transfer fees to whatever savings you think you are getting.

I'm not trying to change your relative's mind, but I wonder if they have shot other calibers before deciding on the .380. My (limited) experience has been that there is a reason behind choosing that caliber that uasually does not involve having 1) tried it out first and 2) not trying any other calibers/platforms either.

Other than general officers not many folks OC a .380.

stay safe.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I don't recommend very small handguns for frist time owners. Sure they are light weight,small easy to conceal. but because of there small size they are harder to use. Pulling back the slide can be a probelm for some, sights on most are bad to worse. they are hard to handle just to small.

Every body wants the smallest, easy to carry and hide but they really are not the best out there.

I belive they have a place that would be when there is no other way you can get by with something bigger.

Most of the time one can carry a bigger gun with out problems.

Nascar24Glock

I don't recommend very small handguns for frist time owners. Sure they are light weight,small easy to conceal. but because of there small size they are harder to use. Pulling back the slide can be a probelm for some, sights on most are bad to worse. they are hard to handle just to small.

Every body wants the smallest, easy to carry and hide but they really are not the best out there.

I belive they have a place that would be when there is no other way you can get by with something bigger.

Most of the time one can carry a bigger gun with out problems.

I'll relay this information. But, I don't think this person wants a heavier gun. Specifically, this person is a female who wants a gun that will fit in a purse pocket (it is unlikely that she will carry it on her person). In part because of the amount of stuff already carried in her purse, she has already informed me that my sub-compact Glock 27, even half-loaded (5 rounds instead of 9), is too heavy for her. She wants something about 25% to 50% lighter.

And, in reply to Skidmark: unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that this person would ever consider joining the ranks of OC'ers. For that matter, this person's mode of carry would probably not even be described as "CC." It would be better described as "OOTC" ("Out-Of-Town Carry," because that's about the only time she carries).

davidmcbeth

Banned
I've got a family member that may be interested in getting a firearm. Among the potential options is the Ruger LCP .380 auto. Right now, there's a gun show in my area selling them for about $300. Is that a typical price for one?

For a used one in great condition its a good price ... its impossible to know how many rounds have actually been through the gun...

Maybe call Ruger with the serial # to see when it was made...give some idea of its age anyway.

DamonK

Go to auction sites like Gunbroker and Auction Arms (the biggies) and on-line sellers like Bud's Guns and CDNN to check prices. Add shipping and transfer fees to whatever savings you think you are getting.

I'm not trying to change your relative's mind, but I wonder if they have shot other calibers before deciding on the .380. My (limited) experience has been that there is a reason behind choosing that caliber that uasually does not involve having 1) tried it out first and 2) not trying any other calibers/platforms either.

Other than general officers not many folks OC a .380.

stay safe.

I agree that the .380 is not a very good caliber for anything beyond deep concealment. I am a little confused about your comment about general officers carrying them. Mostly because they don't.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Firearms Iinstuctor

frist she needs to see if she can operate it properly. I know a woman that said the same things she just had to have the LCP.

Now after owning it for awhile she decide she needs some thing else as she has trouble pulling slide back and has trouble loading the mags.

A J frame revolver might be a good choice.

Nascar24Glock

frist she needs to see if she can operate it properly. I know a woman that said the same things she just had to have the LCP.

Now after owning it for awhile she decide she needs some thing else as she has trouble pulling slide back and has trouble loading the mags.

A J frame revolver might be a good choice.

I don't know how much practice she had with that Sig Sauer. But, I do know that she can just barely pull the slide back on my Glock 27. So, for those with experience pulling the slide on a Glock 27, it needs to be equal to or less hard than that (preferably less).

And, I'm glad you brought up revolvers. I must admit that I hadn't considered that idea. It would remove the issue of pulling the slide back.

I agree that the .380 is not a very good caliber for anything beyond deep concealment. I am a little confused about your comment about general officers carrying them. Mostly because they don't.

Well, deep concealment is pretty much exactly what she's looking for. Like I said before, she wants something lightweight to fit in a purse pocket. Given the high volume of stuff already in her purse, she wants a gun about half the weight of my Glock 27.

hjmoosejaw

Last edited:

chris829

i never recommend a lightweight revolver for most people unless they are a hell of a shot and can handle the recoil.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Agreed. There are a lot of nice lightweight revolvers out there. I would go with at least, a 38 special. ...

Very much agree, as well as with what FirearmsInstructor said. I might also suggest a K frame .38, slightly larger revolver, but easier to shoot and holds six rounds instead of five. I would never recommend anything smaller than a .38/9mm.

As to prices also check out this site for new guns, which provides instant quotes from local dealers:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx

Firearms Iinstuctor

Well we all want the perfect CCW weapon something the size of the LCP in at least 45acp with the recoil of a 22 short that when you pull it out of hideing it turns into a full size handgun with target sights and trigger and holds 20 rounds plus.

I see nothing wrong with smaller cailbers 32 acp 380 acp or others if the person knows the limits of the gun caliber and their abillity.

I rather have a person carry a smaller caliber they can handle and shoot then a bigger one they are afraid of. The newer Ruger 9 shot 22 LCR could be very usefull even if one has a misfire (very common with 22 ammo) one just goes on to the next round with double action.

Thats one thing very nice in most of this country we have a lot of choices.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I spent over two hours with a Client (65 yoa female) the other day handling various hand guns. She made the mistake of buying a LCP because a freind had one it was small, lightweight and cute. She found out that she had a very hard time operating it due to its very small size.

After handleing 10 differtant handguns she decided that she really liked the Glock 23,S@W 3913LS,S@W model 10 2inch and a S@W 3 inch model 60. She had no trouble working the sildes on the 2 semi autos{just more to hang onto instead of the LCP} and stated that she liked revolvers for the ease of loading and checking to see if they were loaded.

After a bit of coaching on the proper use of a double action trigger she had no trouble using the double action trigger.

She like the idea of more rounds in the semi autos but she also realize that in personal self defense 5 or six is more then enough most of the time.

We also went to the 2012 gun digest and looked at differant models and makers that would be appoximately the same as the models above.

We decussed pricing and where she might find a handgun that suited her more then the LCP. She is on a limited budget and we talked about new, used, free marget guns and buying from a dealer.

She decided that any of the models she handled would work for her and she will start looking around for for a used handgun that meets those requirerments. Any of the major hand gun makers would do.

She is in the process of finding a suitable handgun and will be interisting on what she fineds.

WalkingWolf

.380 was at one time considered a officers gun, both with US military and other countries. Personally I like the .380, I carry one(9X18) around the house and in the field when doing chores. The early Colt .380s were designated officers models.

Firearms Iinstuctor

.380 was at one time considered a officers gun, both with US military and other countries. Personally I like the .380, I carry one(9X18) around the house and in the field when doing chores. The early Colt .380s were designated officers models.

There are some very nice 380s out there and with modren ammo they work well.