• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawsuit filed for illegal open carry stop of forum member RCall

MyWifeSaidYes

For those of you who are not aware of the illegal stop that Riverside police made on an open carrier, you may want to read the report and watch the video.

Original police report:
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4610284/callredacted077-pdf-795k?da=y

Video of stop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siAqelKBUAA

Once you've gotten up to speed, you may ALSO be interested in the lawsuit that has been filed against Riverside. I know I'LL be following it closely.

Lawsuit:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6gtW6DYSo1RaWVyS3BBLW51MXM/edit?usp=sharing

Some may want to skip to page 12 of the lawsuit to see how many zeroes are involved. :eek:

joanie

Thanks for the update, Yes, I have seen that Youtube Video, the first and last link didn't work for me. I'm eager to see the outcome of this.

NEOOpenCarry

arrest

Better be careful with suing for emotional distress, they just might say he is not mentally stable enough to carry the firearm :lol: In all seriousness though, good for him in standing up to these officers who were either ignorant of, or blatantly ignored the law. There is no excuse for it either way. Thanks for sharing.

Suckerspawn

For those of you who are not aware of the illegal stop that Riverside police made on an open carrier, you may want to read the report and watch the video.

Original police report:
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4610284/callredacted077-pdf-795k?da=y

Video of stop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siAqelKBUAA

Once you've gotten up to speed, you may ALSO be interested in the lawsuit that has been filed against Riverside. I know I'LL be following it closely.

Lawsuit:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6gtW6DYSo1RaWVyS3BBLW51MXM/edit?usp=sharing

Some may want to skip to page 12 of the lawsuit to see how many zeroes are involved. :eek:

Filed Complaint...Page 2, Point 7. Has the City of Riverside in Miami County. Riverside is in Montgomery County

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
WOW!!!!

Page four on the cop's report says:
As Ohio is an open carry state, and he had not actually done anything illegal with the gun beyond scaring the female customer, I did return his weapon to him, unloaded for safety reasons. No gun charge has been filed.

The cop actually admits that Call did NOT do anything illegal and still charged him with a crime, Obstructing official business.

What a piece of work. And they wonder why people hate cops. Even back in the fifties my parents said don't trust a cop, they are not your friend.

Hareuhal

I never knew that was him in that video.

I hope he wins this, so another city learns what it is like when they violate a persons rights.

I applaud him for how he handled the whole situation.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
A question on another forum about whether, as the police report suggests, RCall has a history of "looking for confrontation" was answered by me this way:

I guess loading groceries in one's car at a grocery store is "looking for confrontation" eh? And the "second person" who filmed the encounter would be.... the Vandalia Police Department!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWoVrkSpE58

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt ... -Encounter

Read far enough and you'll see that Vandalia constructed new training for officers and dispatchers as a result of the unjustified stop.

Yeah, clearly the Riverside police report is accurate!
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
(and whether it is or not, it has no bearing on the stop) The Riverside report is falsified, backside covering, and character assassination. Nothing more.

Read the Riverside report with a more critical eye and you'll see a lot more that's questionable.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sovereign Citizens may have been known to kill cops. Cops are notorious for killing citizens, creating reasonable fear of great bodily harm in any encounter with law enforcement. Respect is good, fear works.

Well, the FBI calls sovereign citizens a terrorist organization partly because of a few "members" killing a couple of cops ~ but really not directly related to the SC causes.

That's why the gov't considers being a Catholic as a characteristic of being a terrorist.

We are all terrorists in the gov't eyes.

eye95

This is not about sovereign citizens. This is not about the FBI or what they think.

This is about RCall, a real person, a nice guy with whom I've enjoyed a few repasts and conversations, who was rousted in an unjustifiable manner and is fighting back using our legal system.

Folks from outside Ohio are, of course, more than welcome in this thread and the Ohio forums in general. I would just politely ask that they comment on topic and not try to hijack the thread for their own agendas.

RCall, you have my deepest sympathies for what you endured and my utmost respect for how you handled the situation and how you have chosen to proceed. Being relatively local to you, I'd love the opportunity to support you in your effort with presence, with in-kind help, or with a small pittance toward your legal fees. The battle you are fighting is one from which we all will benefit, but for which only you are suffering. Thank you.

eye95

RCalls Lawsuit Makes The News

The newspaper just swallows the polices relation of events and their conclusions, without question. Piss-poor reporting.

Roy could have just "cooperated," and it all would have been over in a few minutes. BULL! Since the police had already demonstrated their willingness to break the law and ignore Roy's rights, why would anyone believe that his cooperation in that violation would have made the violation any less heinous or last any less time???

The story, fails to acknowledge that the officers had no legal reason to stop Roy, ask him for ID, or expect him to "cooperate." The newspaper's reporting is only slightly less offensive than the actions of the officers.

Unfortunately, I saw no link where I could leave comments for the story, or I would have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

davidmcbeth

Banned
What does "cooperation" mean? Answering 1 million questions?

These cops should not be cops at all if a legal activity that they deem is unlawful in their own minds leads to lawlessness,

countryclubjoe

So after the officers cuffed MR. Roy and placed/detained him in there police cruiser, they then went to his vehicle and without his permission searched his vehicle and located his legal paperwork CCW/DL etc.

Mr.Roy should also file criminal chargers against the criminals that kidnapped him and broke into his vehicle and violated his 2A right.

I wish him the best and hopefully more law suits will follow for this criminal behavior by people that are hired to protect and serve its citizens.

CCJ

JediSkipdogg

The story, fails to acknowledge that the officers had no legal reason to stop Roy, ask him for ID, or expect him to "cooperate." The newspaper's reporting is only slightly less offensive than the actions of the officers.

Interestingly I took a training class in Reynoldsburg Ohio last week that partially hit on that. The trainer was a Lt. from a PD in Massachusettes whom admitted he was probably the only right wing conservative in the state. He mentioned how most Americans don't know that if they aren't committing a crime and the police have no RAS that they are, then they don't have to say anything to the police or ID who they are. He admitted most crimes are solved by suspects talking or their friends talking and ratting them out. Solving crimes with evidence is very hard and probably one of the easiest to throw out in court. However, verbal confessions, easy to convict. The Lt. blamed alot of that on the media for not knowing people's rights either and portraying that certain events happen or have to happen.

davidmcbeth

Banned
My suggestion? Like Houdini did -- if you want press coverage of a march or rally --- rally at the newspaper building --- they'll cover it for sure then...does not have to be an anti-press rally, just a rally to get a point or facts across to the public.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
The newspaper just swallows the polices relation of events and their conclusions, without question. Piss-poor reporting...
Nothing personal, but I disagree. I think it was as it should have been - at least for a first story.

I think the reporter did his best to report "facts", as in a) what the police report said, b) what the Chief and City Manager said, and c) what Mr. Call's attorney said. There was no commentary about the accuracy or validity of either sides' statements - and for a gun story, that's unusual.

Hopefully there will be more stories or reader comments (hint, hint) delving into the many things "we" could educate the reporter and readers about.

joanie

The newspaper just swallows the polices relation of events and their conclusions, without question. Piss-poor reporting.

Roy could have just "cooperated," and it all would have been over in a few minutes. BULL! Since the police had already demonstrated their willingness to break the law and ignore Roy's rights, why would anyone believe that his cooperation in that violation would have made the violation any less heinous or last any less time???

Unfortunately, I saw no link where I could leave comments for the story, or I would have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Search result-
Dayton Daily News. Home; Local News; Sports; Business; Entertainment; Life; Photos & Video; Help; ... Phone: (888) 397-6397 or (937) 222-5700 Hours: M-F 6:00am-4:00pm