• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

twice in one day...

Nevada carrier

I took my ARs up to the Clark County Shooting Park to check their zero yesterday; I decided to carry my 1911. Because it was wednesday morning, the day after range glean up, I figured it was worth checking the brass tables for anything I might need when a man, presumably in his 60's approached me to inform me that I forgot to decock the hammer. I informed him that it was a 1911, and it was designed to be carried fully cocked with a round in the chamber and the safety on. This was news to him, and he seemed to understand and carried on with his business.
Then, while shooting the RSOs asked that my sidearm be cleared and placed on the shooting table while the range was cold. I complied with his request, but when packing up my things and reholstering my sidearm, he asks, "Aren't you gonna de-cock it?" I again had to explain that this was the way a 1911 was intended to be carried. His reaction was a bit more dramatic. He grimmiced as if he thought that was the worst thing he's ever heard. He was an older gentleman as well, probably in his 70's, retired and likely a volunteer.

Iguess the odd thing about these two experiences was that I would assume (I know you shouldn't assume) that older people in our gun culture would be more knowledgable about 1911s.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Depending on my mood, I mighta told the RSO that I definitely did not appreciate his poorly-veiled arrogance. (If he's making a face, he's thinking he 'knows all about it', and thinks you're ignorant.)

Nevada carrier

Depending on my mood, I mighta told the RSO that I definitely did not appreciate his poorly-veiled arrogance. (If he's making a face, he's thinking he 'knows all about it', and thinks you're ignorant.)

Well, I think his lack of further response indicates some restraint on his part. He might have stopped at any further response knowing that he might not "know it all."

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Then, while shooting the RSOs asked that my sidearm be cleared and placed on the shooting table while the range was cold. I complied with his request....

This is unacceptable. You should write a letter asking for clarification. Sidearms that are not to be used should NOT be handled, nor should your sidearm be unloaded. It is not a sidearm if it is unloaded!

I say again, this is UNACCEPTABLE. I would have left before complying with such an ignorant request.

Dammit. I really want to like this place, and every time I think about finishing their damn paperwork so I can teach out there (they are already on my insurance) I hear these reports that make me not want to set foot on the property.

I get the occasional "your hammer is cocked" remark, but it's usually from some yuppie idiot with a striker-fired pistol.

Last edited:

jfrey123

Do these old timers who "know everything about 1911's" realize they're mostly SA and would require you to thumb the hammer back if decocked when SHTF?

Elm Creek Smith

This old timer carried a 1911 for 16 years before going all revolver all the time. Just because someone is old doesn't make him smart. I had another old guy tell me to forget about full moon clips for my S&W Model 25-2 and use speedloaders with auto rim ammunition because "That's what it was designed for."

Another told me I was wasting my time with snub-nose revolvers because they weren't accurate past 15 feet. Before he left the range, he got to see me bounce a 2 liter 7-Up bottle over the top of the 100 yard berm.

Cocked and locked is the only way to carry a 1911.

ECS

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

jpa

This is unacceptable. You should write a letter asking for clarification. Sidearms that are not to be used should NOT be handled, nor should your sidearm be unloaded. It is not a sidearm if it is unloaded!

I say again, this is UNACCEPTABLE. I would have left before complying with such an ignorant request.

Dammit. I really want to like this place, and every time I think about finishing their damn paperwork so I can teach out there (they are already on my insurance) I hear these reports that make me not want to set foot on the property.

I get the occasional "your hammer is cocked" remark, but it's usually from some yuppie idiot with a striker-fired pistol.

These incidents generally only occur on the public range portion. The class portion of the range at the education center is separate and the volunteers and RO's don't wander over there at all. This is why you get to have your own insurance, because you're the one responsible if something happens when you're teaching. I've taken a couple classes with Chuck Burnett up there and I've only seen the security guard wander by a couple times. The one time we were doing a night shoot and he talked to Chuck about securing the building and shutting off the lights when we're done but that was it.

I would have refused to remove my carry piece from the holster. It stays where it is because I'm not shooting it.