• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here's a "DUH!" moment - don't leave your gun in your car

dkutchukk

The stupidity of people continues to stun me.

Every year during chistmas shopping we repeatedly hear "don't leave your packages in view inside your car at the mall parking lot" followed by numerous reports of people breaking into cars at the mall to steal stuff that was in plain sight. You just can't fix stupid.

If I have to leave my gun in the car where there is any security concerns, I field strip and stick the barrel in my pocket.

same here. I pull the barrel and mag out if for some reason it has to stay in the car (such as work). it would take someone quite a bit of time to find an m&p40 mag plus ammo, let alone trying to find a barrel.

WalkingWolf

As soon as I get around to it, I am going to put a welded eye bolt on the floor board of the Mrs car. Add a secure cable and heavy padlock will keep the gun secure except for the most determined thief. And then a their carrying a torch, or cutoff grinder, or bolt cutter in the daytime might get police calls, before they ever find her car. She does not want to be seen putting a gun in the trunk inviting theft, and damage to the trunk. A good padlock through most trigger guards will prevent theft, and on some guns prevent discharge.

eye95

same here. I pull the barrel and mag out if for some reason it has to stay in the car (such as work). it would take someone quite a bit of time to find an m&p40 mag plus ammo, let alone trying to find a barrel.

Do you really think that would stop someone from stealing the rest of the gun? I don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

XD40sc

Do you really think that would stop someone from stealing the rest of the gun? I don't.

<o>

It makes it worthless to a crook, in the same vain that they may take the change out of the ashtray, but leave the bag of stale fries on the console. And even if they do take it, they do not have a functioning gun to harm another victim.

XD40sc

As soon as I get around to it, I am going to put a welded eye bolt on the floor board of the Mrs car. Add a secure cable and heavy padlock will keep the gun secure except for the most determined thief. And then a their carrying a torch, or cutoff grinder, or bolt cutter in the daytime might get police calls, before they ever find her car. She does not want to be seen putting a gun in the trunk inviting theft, and damage to the trunk. A good padlock through most trigger guards will prevent theft, and on some guns prevent discharge.

Here ya go, now you have one.

roundtoit.jpg

;);)

eye95

It makes it worthless to a crook, in the same vain that they may take the change out of the ashtray, but leave the bag of stale fries on the console. And even if they do take it, they do not have a functioning gun to harm another victim.

So I guess you really do think he won't steal it. I think he will.

dkutchukk

<o>

oh I am sure they would still take it. it makes me feel better to know that if they did steal it, it would be about as effective as a rock if they wanted to harm someone.

eye95

oh I am sure they would still take it. it makes me feel better to know that if they did steal it, it would be about as effective as a rock if they wanted to harm someone.

Until they replace the missing parts which will take far less effort than you think.

dkutchukk

Until they replace the missing parts which will take far less effort than you think.

I am sorry, I should have clarified. I meant that it would be useless within a reasonable timeframe, as in it would be useless for several days, by which time they could just take a fully assembled weapon with less effort. Unless the type of people hellbent on harming others have some damn good sources that I don't know about, it would be effective in the short-term at least.

eye95

I am sorry, I should have clarified. I meant that it would be useless within a reasonable timeframe, as in it would be useless for several days, by which time they could just take a fully assembled weapon with less effort. Unless the type of people hellbent on harming others have some damn good sources that I don't know about, it would be effective in the short-term at least.

None of that lessens the chance that they will steal your gun.