• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idea for new legislation... just thinking ahead

Nevada carrier

Given that the legislature has adjourned for this session, I would like to get an idea going. it isn't perfect but it's a stepping stone; here is my idea.

The Nevada Workplace Protection Act, 2015.

1) No employer doing business in the state of Nevada shall require, as a condition of employment, that an employee forfeit their right to lawfully bear arms in any manner consistent with State Law while performing their duties under the following circumstances;

A. The employee is required to work in an area that is open to the public and that the public entering the premises are not screened for weapons and
1. The employee may participate in cash transactions of $1000 or more and/or
2. The employee may be required to work in an area where alcohol is served.

2) No employer doing business in the State of Nevada shall, as a condition of employment, shall forbid an employee who may lawfully posses firearms from storing their firearms in a vehicle on the premises of their employment.

3) Employers shall be immune for civil liability should a firearm be used in lawful self-defense on their premises.

4) Any person acting as an agent of the employer who terminates, disciplines or discriminates against any employee for the lawful possession of firearms in accordance with subsection one and two of this statute is guilty of a gross misdemeanor upon first offense. Upon the first subsequent offenses, are guilty of a category D felony and any further subsequent offenses shall be guilty of a category B felony.

5) Any employer who terminates, disciplines or otherwise discriminates against any employee in violation of subsection one and two this statute shall;
A. be ordered to pay civil restitution in the amount of $25,000 to the affected employee.
B. reinstate the affected employee with the same seniority, status and pay that they would have attained had their employment been uninterrupted and shall issue compensation equal to the pay they would have earned had they not been absent.
C. Expunge and destroy any record pertaining termination or other discipline.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I love the idea of OC'ing at work. couple of problems with this though:

• You own a TGIFridays resturaunt and employ me who OC's, and your resturaunt is in green valley Station. Do they forfeit private property rights for your employee?
  • I am a mover for your moving company, I insist on OC'ing in your customers homes.
Just a couple of test cases, not to put down the idea, but to test the feasibility

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I love the idea behind it, but I can't support it yet.

I support the right of employers to dictate the appearance of employees. Hooters has the right, in my opinion, to insist on ugly orange shorts. I'm having trouble requiring an employer to have one of their rights taken from them. Employees have the right to seek other employment.

It is already a right-to-work state where you can be terminated for no reason at any time.

It is already not a crime to carry a firearm at work against company policy. The most you risk is termination anyway.

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

Employees have the right to seek other employment..

The problem is, virtually no employers barring gun stores will give an employee the thumbs up. This is because they fear civil judgements more than any other reason, which my idea adresses. The fact of the matter is that the lives and well being of their employees takes a back seat to profits.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Here's how it would work in a right-to-work state like Nevada:

Employee wears a gun.
Employer: "You're fired."
Employee: "For what, wearing a gun?"
Employer: "No, just because."

No law can stop that.

rickyray9

Guns shouldn't be forced upon employers, that's bad juju. Employers should be allowed to control every item that enters their property under penalty of trespass. The best way to facilitate OC in the work place is to start your own business as an OC supporter and make your gun friendliness known to your employees and your customers. If you start making more money than the other guy, he might have a change of heart.

vegaspassat

Given that the legislature has adjourned for this session, I would like to get an idea going. it isn't perfect but it's a stepping stone; here is my idea.

The Nevada Workplace Protection Act, 2015.

1) No employer doing business in the state of Nevada shall require, as a condition of employment, that an employee forfeit their right to lawfully bear arms in any manner consistent with State Law while performing their duties under the following circumstances;

A. The employee is required to work in an area that is open to the public and that the public entering the premises are not screened for weapons and
1. The employee may participate in cash transactions of $1000 or more and/or
2. The employee may be required to work in an area where alcohol is served.

2) No employer doing business in the State of Nevada shall, as a condition of employment, shall forbid an employee who may lawfully posses firearms from storing their firearms in a vehicle on the premises of their employment.

I disagree and your "bill" is flawed on many levels. If you own a business ,then your private property rights trump all else...... "My house; My rules" so to speak. If a business doesn't want firearms on his/her premises, that is their right. Furthermore - you reference a place that is open to the public. There is no such business. If it is truly open to the PUBLIC, then it is not a business - it is a public entity such as the DMV or the library. In which case the current laws dictate that open carry of firearms is allowed. But I digress. What you have written strips the rights of business owners. I wish what you wrote was actually good for everybody, but unfortunately it infringes on the rights of the property/business owner. Therefore I cannot agree that it is good politics.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Nice idea, but a REALLY BAD law.

It would be more useful to have a law which places responsibility for safety on employers, private property owners, etc if they deny the right to possession of the means of defense. The current law is reprehensible, in that it allows a person in authority to refuse that right while exempting them from the consequences of that decision.

vegaspassat

Not trying to sound "snappy" but you could start a business like FUBU (For Us By Us) I think it is you being the employer could hire only those who are willing to OC.

I don't know how I missed this before, but it is a really good idea. Making a weapon a mandatory part of the work uniform is fantastic.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2