• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who notices when you OC?

open4years

Hard to believe, but essentially no one notices. This wasn't the case when I first began OCing. Back then, I carried a 1911 in a tan Bianchi holster. Everyone noticed! Then, I became invisible.

The secret is to carry a black handgun in a black holster and on a black belt. I typically wear jeans and a T-shirt or button up shirt. As one said, most people are SO unaware.

My theory is two fold: A) The all black makes it less visable. B) A black gun that looks somewhat like a LEO would carry, makes the ones who might see it, think I must be LE. I can't know what they are thinking, but that is my guess.

Perhaps one's haircut also plays a part. Back in my 20's, everyone thought I was a narc! So overall appearance may figure in. Lastly, how you carry yourself and how you act is a huge factor. I have acted so long that I always feel the gun belongs on me and I belong to the gun. That confidence is critical. I make eye contact, smile and I behave friendly and helpful as it is my nature.

I often help people in accidents and broken down vehicles so much that almost all LE knows me and they know I'm a private detective. I even went on a 12 hour ride along. I only had a problem with one cop, but he was soon fired!

Try these tips and let me know how they work for you. Also know that I am in no way suggesting one should dress like LE. Most don't wear jeans anyway! But, if someone thinks I'm a good guy with a gun, then I'm fine with that!

WalkingWolf

Hard to believe, but essentially no one notices. This wasn't the case when I first began OCing. Back then, I carried a 1911 in a tan Bianchi holster. Everyone noticed! Then, I became invisible.

The secret is to carry a black handgun in a black holster and on a black belt. I typically wear jeans and a T-shirt or button up shirt. As one said, most people are SO unaware.

My theory is two fold: A) The all black makes it less visable. B) A black gun that looks somewhat like a LEO would carry, makes the ones who might see it, think I must be LE. I can't know what they are thinking, but that is my guess.

Perhaps one's haircut also plays a part. Back in my 20's, everyone thought I was a narc! So overall appearance may figure in. Lastly, how you carry yourself and how you act is a huge factor. I have acted so long that I always feel the gun belongs on me and I belong to the gun. That confidence is critical. I make eye contact, smile and I behave friendly and helpful as it is my nature.

I often help people in accidents and broken down vehicles so much that almost all LE knows me and they know I'm a private detective. I even went on a 12 hour ride along. I only had a problem with one cop, but he was soon fired!

Try these tips and let me know how they work for you. Also know that I am in no way suggesting one should dress like LE. Most don't wear jeans anyway! But, if someone thinks I'm a good guy with a gun, then I'm fine with that!

Pffft on the black. I carry not fancy guns but not black. One has a silver grip frame, the other polished brass, both with highly polished wood grips. The last thing I want is to look like a LEO. Helll I didn't want to look like a LEO when I was a LEO. For a few years I was one of the few uniformed officers with a full beard, helped to be the boss though. Plus on hot days the last thing I wear is black, so even a black gun sticks out with a lightly colored shirt.

One of my future projects is a white canvas gun belt with natural leather holster and accessories for summer wear.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

People notice. I tend to be a fast walker so when my nephew was working with me and was with me most of the day on my various travels, but not necessarily by my side often behind me, he would point out all the people who waited until I passed who thought they were being discreet in looking.

Last edited:

GhostOfJefferson

Kids tend to see things we don't because they haven't built up a lot of filters that adults have. An adult generally has no value to gain from seeing every single detail in every single place he visited since we've seen those details thousands of times in our lives, so his mind kind of blocks out all but the most pertinent information. Kids don't have that, everything is still new to them. It's how guys can open a fridge full of 567 pounds of food and ask his wife "Is there anything to eat", for example. :)

Around my parts I think I stand out quite a bit to begin with, being tall and sporting a white Stetson when out in public, which in and of itself draws attention in central Ohio where such attire is generally not worn. Throw in a stainless S&W 66-2, or my hand made cowboy rig for my Blackhawk (.45 LC) and I guess to most people I look like the "good guy cowboy" they remember from movies. The presentation, in other words, helps with the perception. I get more reserved or quiet stares when I carry a 1911 in a black holster and am not wearing the Stetson. Guess it's about setting the right light to have oneself seen in.

I get a fair amount of attention that is positive, most that is neutral, and very little that is negative. Since motorcycle season started back up (figure, 3-4 weeks ago) I've had two very positive stop light encounters, where I was thanked for open carrying (I didn't bother to inform them that open carry on a motorcycle is actually considered concealed carry by Ohio law, no need to be pedantic), and one drive by encounter where two college aged girls rolled down the drivers side window, passed me and gave me a thumbs up and "Way to go!". Every place in my town that I even occasionally frequent are used to seeing me and very accepting, and some places like BP down the road will have the clerks asking me what I'm carrying that day. These encounters seem to be occurring more and more with the Millennial generation types, which is hopeful to me, and the rest of the good encounters are generally with GenX adults, though that may just be a function of the demographics where I live. What's nice is that I've been doing a LOT of education over the last year because I do get so noticed, which is always a net positive in my eyes.

Had one semi-duh encounter in Home Depot a few weeks back, a clerk, middle aged portly woman with a very short haircut and a very hard, square face, came up out of nowhere and said "Let me see your permit!" in a very commanding and nearly belligerent tone. I asked what she was referring to, she pointed to my S&W, said "You need a permit to carry that, let me see it!", I informed her that open carry did not require any permit in the state of Ohio, and that further I was under no obligation to show her any papers or "permits" as she was not an LEO detaining me. She persisted that her manager instructed her to come and demand my permit from me, and I asked her to fetch her manager and we'd discuss it together. She said "Um, no" and stormed off. Doubt she even spoke to her manager. My only real bad encounter was with a very old, aged former hippy (you could easily tell by how he was dressed and groomed), but at the end of it all he just snorted and left.

Other than that though, it is true that many, many people have about as much knowledge that I'm open carrying as they do about nuclear physics. Some days I feel like I could hang my sidearm on a chain around my neck and cover it in blinking blue LED's and nobody would notice. Fortunately those days are becoming fewer and fewer, in a positive way.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Other than that though, it is true that many, many people have about as much knowledge that I'm open carrying as they do about nuclear physics. Some days I feel like I could hang my sidearm on a chain around my neck and cover it in blinking blue LED's and nobody would notice. Fortunately those days are becoming fewer and fewer, in a positive way.

This is Truth!! Ghost nailed this one for me. I conduct my daily parade with a smile on my face and a song in my heart and almost no one sees my weapon. I try to make eye contact with everyone I meet. Most people will not and keep the head down and eyes on the ground.

hermannr

Only one time I had a "negative" notice. I was in a restaurant that my wife and I frequent, and had been frequently go to for about 3 years at the time. I had several very positive carry conversations with the owners husband, and talked to the owner (woman) many times in that 3 years.

One day we were their with a batch of kids and grandkids and she had heart failure..."you can't have that in here...it's against the law!" (not) After I had persuaded her that it was illegal to have my carry in the licensed bar area, but not illegal in the restaurant, I pointed out that I always carry, and had several conversations with her husband about guns, why was it she noticed this particular day?

Her response was...where were you yesterday when there was a bear in our dumpster :)

WalkingWolf

About a month ago we were in a Kangaroo station getting some snacks. A very attractive young lady with her SO winked at me, at first I thought I was imagining it, but the wife saw it also, and darn if she did not do it twice. NOW I know it was not my good looks(LMFAO) if there was a ugly old dude contest I would be the winner. So either she was winking at my wife, or she noticed my sidearms and was showing approval.

eye95

I had one negative notice. Some guy came up to me and asked if I had a CPL. I did, but I didn't tell him that. I simply told him that a license was unnecessary for OC. He went to the store manager. Nothing came of that. Someone (I assume he) called 911. That was my second encounter with MPD. Oh well. I duly chastened the officers for their misbehavior and went on with the rest of my day.

compmanio365

A few years back I had more negative issues, mostly with police actually. Several OCers here in WA can mirror that feeling. That calmed down and now I get very little notice at all. Most of the time I just get the quick look away as someone was staring at my 1911 and I notice, but every once in a while I get someone asking about "is that legal", "nice gun", etc. Once or twice I've had negative reactions; some lady looking like she ruined herself on meth had an issue at the 7-11 around the corner from my house most recently, and she made sure everyone knew it. But that's the rare exception; most days people are so preoccupied with their business they don't pay any attention.

F350

As far as being notice, I think a lot more people than you think notice but never say or do anything, life is a little different here on Colorado's Western Slope, I have had the occasional person thank me for carrying here but; this past Saturday must have been THE day for it.

Since it was mother's day weekend the wife got to decide what we did; first up was a trip to Hotchkiss CO for the sheepdog trials (man those boarder collies are impressive). We were sitting in a set of bleachers about 6 rows high and I heard an older woman behind me say her back couldn't take sitting any longer and she was going to walk around, and she scooted behind me (I was sitting at the end) where she said she didn't think she could make the step down. So I stood and offered her my arm to help he down, when she got down she patted the USMC Devil Dog tattoo on my forearm and said "Thank you for your help and for your service; and thank you for carrying your gun, we need more good men like you". Which lead to a conversation with a man standing there who had been thinking of switching from CC to OC and asked did I have any problems etc.

At the lunch break we wondered through some of the displays, at the weavers guild tent I was watching a woman spin yarn when she said "Thank you for standing up for our rights, I've got mine in my purse". We decided to head home and stopped for some fresh squeezed lemon-aid, when I pulled out my wallet the guy said "It's on me, thank you for standing up to those SOBs in Denver" on the way out the gate a man sitting at the ticket table said "Thank you for standing up for our rights"; that was 5 in a couple hours.

When we got back to Grand Junction CO. we (she) decided to make a pass through the "Arts and Jazz Festival' on Main Street where upon entering the gated area a private security guard said "Thank you for carrying". As we walked around checking out the art tents a guy that did photography leaned out of his booth and said "Thank you for your service and for standing up for the Second Amendment" I stopped and we talked photography for a little bit. A little later a "1970s throwback" looking gal in her mid to late 20s with a yellow rose in her long chestnut hair in a light weight tie dye dress said "Thank you for standing up for our rights, I usually conceal carry but this dress doesn't conceal much (and I had to admit to myself it sure didn't). There were 2 more venders that thanked me for my service/carrying.

I've not had that many people say anything about my open carrying in the near 2 years we've lived here, must have been the day for it, and as I said, things are a little different here.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I live in Alaska where I open carry frequently. I have no idea how many people notice because almost no-one comments on it. When they do, it's usually to ask what I'm carrying, although one store clerk told me I was his "new hero" because I was wearing a kilt and carrying a gun.

golddigger14s

Activist Member

Rugby3

Definitely seems to be little kids that notice first, as mentioned since they are eye level seems to be the reason.

Elm Creek Smith

Some double takes. Some sidelong glances. My nephew said he thought it was very cool. (He's in his early 20's.) My mom asked me if it was legal. (She doesn't much like guns but understands their utility.) Only one person, a forty-something woman outside the Walmart Neighborhood Market, said anything negative. You'll see my response below.

ECS

Last edited:

TheIrishNationalist

In my country, unless your in the countryside, anyone who open carries is probably IRA or UVF. Back when I was growing up durring the Troubles, the security forces did more than give you looks if you open carried, you got shot.

Rusty Young Man

snip...this past Saturday must have been THE day for it....5 in a couple hours.

F350, it sounds like you were just getting back some good karma for you good behaviour. Frankly, I think you enjoyed the attention a lot of us would hope for (when attention is brought to our carry pieces at all, I mean).
And WalkingWolf, the 1911 Effect (or Sidearm Effect, your experience may vary) is not limited to producing flirtatious attention from the opposite sex ;) Had it happen as I was walking to the store a month ago. Walked by a car that was starting to pull out of the parking lot, and said attention was given by a member of the same gender. I cannot, however, confirm or deny that this was a first for me.;)
So OC newcomers, consider yourselves warned: the Sidearm Effect may cause increased attention and flirting from those around you. The Sidearm manufacturer is not responsible for any side effects resulting from the Sidearm Effect. Use responsibly. :lol:

On topic, I'll have to agree with those that say that children (who do pay more attention to their surroundings, and do have their eyes at around Sidearm level) are the ones that notice most when I OC the Force (don't know how I chose that name) in its holster on my hip. I try to give them a friendly smile or thumbs up if they have frozen in place, but no real problems (except for the ones that you can tell want to touch a gun). Next would be people with wandering eyes, or people who are sitting when I pass by (leaves the Force at their eye level).
People just don't see what they don't expect to see.:eek:

ptrdsmn

I've had one kid notice while standing in line at McDonalds, his dad chatted with me for a minute then realized I wasn't law enforcement and suddenly turned a bit introverted, as if I suddenly became a danger. Most of the other people who notice are off-duty cops who ask me if I work somewhere, then when I say no we have a little pro-gun chat and go on our ways. I've only had one negative encounter where an over zealous claims loss person at Wal-Mart got in my face saying it was illegal...got that cleared up with the manager the next day though.

Ya, but if a manager of Walmart or any establishment ask you to leave then you must or risk getting the cops called and charged with trespassing. Not sure if its Nation wide or not but there should be a sign that has to be written with big red letters of a certain font, and size declaring it a no gun zone otherwise your supposed to be good. (might be in Texas only)

Kopis

I live in Alaska where I open carry frequently. I have no idea how many people notice because almost no-one comments on it. When they do, it's usually to ask what I'm carrying, although one store clerk told me I was his "new hero" because I was wearing a kilt and carrying a gun.

You wear a kilt AND a firearm? Now THAT says MANLY like nothing else! :cool: