• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun in glove compartment

beth

can someone tell me in Ct. can u have a gun in glove compartment

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
can someone tell me in Ct. can u have a gun in glove compartment

Welcome to OCDO! I might also welcome you to the Internet, as it seems you have picked a random thread for your question.

Here is the best source for your question, unless we get lucky and a CT expert finds your question in this random thread.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/connecticut.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another welcome to OCDO.

Just curious, but why would you post an inquiry about having a handgun in the glove compartment on a site devoted to the lawful open carrying of handguns?

(Has OCDO developed such a reputation for being a source of accurate information about handguns and handgun laws that folks have more confidence in getting a fact-based answer here than from the myriad of CC-oriented boards?)

If you have an interest in more than an answer to the specific question you posed, check out CCDL http://www.ccdl.us/ and give serious consideration to joining them as well as becoming active in their events.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Another welcome to OCDO.

Just curious, but why would you post an inquiry about having a handgun in the glove compartment on a site devoted to the lawful open carrying of handguns?

(Has OCDO developed such a reputation for being a source of accurate information about handguns and handgun laws that folks have more confidence in getting a fact-based answer here than from the myriad of CC-oriented boards?)

If you have an interest in more than an answer to the specific question you posed, check out CCDL http://www.ccdl.us/ and give serious consideration to joining them as well as becoming active in their events.

stay safe.
Well some states do allow someone w/o a permit to place a handgun in the glove compartment, so it is not just a CC issue - Virginia is one such.

Code of Virginia 18.2-308B10 allows a person to carry a gun in the glove compartment of his/her vehicle WITHOUT the need for a concealed carry permit. Didja disremembers that?

And yes OCDO does enjoy a positive reputation - in part because we encourage/require cites.

customcreationllc

I thought that was a fare question that most people get wrong.
As I read the law
If you have a permit you can.
If not it needs to be locked up other than a glove compartment.

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or any Department of Motor Vehicles inspector appointed under section 14-8 and certified pursuant to section 7-294d, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser’s residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person’s household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person’s place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person’s place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors’ group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, “formal pistol or revolver training” means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and “transporting a pistol or revolver” means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

(b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one’s person while carrying such pistol or revolver.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You can and you can't. (I'll assume not going to a range-not that it would change my answer but it would avoid discussion of handgun transport to a range & it's legality w/o a permit, another subject I think)

You can if it's a rifle but not an assault rifle (see PA13-3/PA13-220).

You can if its a handgun and you have a permit.

You cannot if it is a handgun and you do not have a permit.

(Also assuming you don't have an issue with current state laws' constitutionality)

Last edited:

DDoutel

Welcome to OCDO! I might also welcome you to the Internet, as it seems you have picked a random thread for your question.

Here is the best source for your question, unless we get lucky and a CT expert finds your question in this random thread.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/connecticut.pdf

Excuse me, MAC, but she started this thread; can you tell me in what manner it is random? It appears to me that she knew exactly what she was asking and where to ask.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Excuse me, MAC, but she started this thread; can you tell me in what manner it is random? It appears to me that she knew exactly what she was asking and where to ask.

Hi Doutel,

Hope you are doing well. Anyway, I thought that I would just shoot out another little tid-bit ... even if an exception was available then this would likely not stop you from being arrested and exceptions are affirmative defenses.

Of course, as with all affirmative defenses, they really do not exist until plead in court.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Actually she did post in a random thread. I moved her post and related posts to this state sub-form and made it a new thread + gave it a title, but left her as the OP because it was her question.

DDoutel

Actually she did post in a random thread. I moved her post and related posts to this state sub-form and made it a new thread + gave it a title, but left her as the OP because it was her question.

Hey, Grape; I had no way of knowing that the post had been moved. Sorry, but given what information I had, I could see no reason for your claim of randomness. :)

Yeah, we're doing good; headed to trial in Federal court against Norwalk in November; wonder how a jury is going to like the idea that the cop who started this whole mess lied to make it happen? Norwalk's attorney == dumb bastard.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey, Grape; I had no way of knowing that the post had been moved. Sorry, but given what information I had, I could see no reason for your claim of randomness. :)

Yeah, we're doing good; headed to trial in Federal court against Norwalk in November; wonder how a jury is going to like the idea that the cop who started this whole mess lied to make it happen? Norwalk's attorney == dumb bastard.
I should have left a note behind about moving it, creating the thread, to benefit the newbie and her question. My bad - no good deed goes unpunished.

Will be folllowing the Norwalk thing with interest.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Entropy will always win ... always ....... we are puny humans ...:lol::lol: