• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WTF: Examiner.com

Turbod'1

Given this sites past 'Leadership' related internal squabbles, I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised that your current 'Boss' is "Examiner.com". :confused:

I can understand the need to cover ones costs BUT when the advertisement/poor HTML gets to the point of utter distraction --or, even worse; in the case of said Examiner.com-- that flusters my 20+ Mbps Internet speed and 4.6 Ghz i7...

Teh Fug?

JustaShooter

I'm usually pretty good at deciphering posts but this one has me baffled. Anybody have the secret decoder ring for this one? Hello?

b0neZ

I'm usually pretty good at deciphering posts but this one has me baffled. Anybody have the secret decoder ring for this one? Hello?

Sorry, no decoder ring here. Got a balsa wood plane in my last box of Cracker Jacks.

However, I'll give it a shot.

Methinks OP is alleging that a particular site is poorly coded and has too many advertisements, thereby causing his internet connection (as well as the video on their high-end computer) to slow considerably when they visit said site.

Last edited:

Turbod'1

Methinks OP is alleging that a particular site is poorly coded and has too many advertisements, thereby causing his internet connection (as well as the video on their high-end computer) to slow considerably when they visit said site.

^That.

...as well as the fact that all but two of the "stickies" were from the "examiner" --in News & Political Alerts of all places!

Seems to be a rather one sided approach and quite 'self' promoting. So, while I know that *that* is the nature of business, our RIGHTS are NOT a business -- At least they shouldn't be. :banghead:

Bottom line: in News & Political Alerts, what the admins [owners and henchmen] choose to "sticky" is very telling and we should have better representation than mere backslapping and high-fives.

Sticky better? :question::shocker:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Given this sites past 'Leadership' related internal squabbles, I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised that your current 'Boss' is "Examiner.com". :confused:

I can understand the need to cover ones costs BUT when the advertisement/poor HTML gets to the point of utter distraction --or, even worse; in the case of said Examiner.com-- that flusters my 20+ Mbps Internet speed and 4.6 Ghz i7...

Teh Fug?
I know of no leadership internal squabbles and find it misleading that you would allege that there were.

Of the 2 site owners, both of whom are attorneys, one operates as the Administrator, the other as Super Moderator. Though their business arrangement and terms thereof is not a matter of public knowledge, they compliment each other and function quite well in the management of OCDO, which is private property and the rest of us are guests. What that means is that they can post whatever they want pretty much - still they stick to related/on topic material.

If anyone is having particular problems with the site, they should look first to their server and then to the health of their PC - many things beyond the obvious viruses can bog a system down. Spyware and fragmentation are common drags on speed. I have ten (10) different clean-up programs, run several each night and will have run them all a couple of times by the end of each week. That doesn't guarantee peak performance, but it goes a long, long way down that road.

Heat can also be a killer - keep the internals clean and the fans working efficiently. I've actually considered a mini duct from my A/C unit to discharge at the back of my case. I'm very reluctant to consider a liquid cooler - concerns about that one catastrophic leak.

Bottom line - eliminate all other possibilities first......if that doesn't work buy/build a bigger, faster PC and maker your supplier happy too. :)

Turbod'1

I know of no leadership internal squabbles and find it misleading that you would allege that there were.

Of the 2 site owners, both of whom are attorneys, one operates as the Administrator, the other as Super Moderator. Though their business arrangement and terms thereof is not a matter of public knowledge, they compliment each other and function quite well in the management of OCDO, which is private property and the rest of us are guests. What that means is that they can post whatever they want pretty much - still they stick to related/on topic material.

If anyone is having particular problems with the site, they should look first to their server and then to the health of their PC - many things beyond the obvious viruses can bog a system down. Spyware and fragmentation are common drags on speed. I have ten (10) different clean-up programs, run several each night and will have run them all a couple of times by the end of each week. That doesn't guarantee peak performance, but it goes a long, long way down that road.

Heat can also be a killer - keep the internals clean and the fans working efficiently. I've actually considered a mini duct from my A/C unit to discharge at the back of my case. I'm very reluctant to consider a liquid cooler - concerns about that one catastrophic leak.

Bottom line - eliminate all other possibilities first......if that doesn't work buy/build a bigger, faster PC and maker your supplier happy too. :)

Bed time for me so I'll take the latter point as it's easy: I have a custom built $Bazillion computer and I'm pretty darn familiar with computers [hand picked components; no, I have no skill in assembling them myself] and various OS's. Viruses, Spyware, Malware nor fragmentation of my drives are an issue. :lol:

That said, isn't it funny that people on this site revolt against what is bold-ed above (Say... Starbuck, for instance) and yet take it and --the spoon-fed-- "examiner" in stride?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Bed time for me so I'll take the latter point as it's easy: I have a custom built $Bazillion computer and I'm pretty darn familiar with computers [hand picked components; no, I have no skill in assembling them myself] and various OS's. Viruses, Spyware, Malware nor fragmentation of my drives are an issue. :lol:

That said, isn't it funny that people on this site revolt against what is bold-ed above (Say... Starbuck, for instance) and yet take it and --the spoon-fed-- "examiner" in stride?

I'll take the easy one first too.:)

I have no idea what others may take "in stride" - maybe they recognize that it is the site owners who set the rules and the tone and/or they see little to be gained by insulting or slighting one of them.

While I do not generally take exception with what most Examiners say (they have the priviledge of speaking their mind), I read with an open mind and make my own decisions. That is the benefit inherent in a forum like OCDO.

At best it seems strange that few (none?) are having a similar problem to yours.

Last edited:

SpringerXDacp

My connection speed is 3 mbs and I'm not having any issues with the site. I did however change to Chrome as XP you can only upgrade to IE8 which is a bit obsolete and S-L-O-W these days.