• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks no loger Open Carry (or CC) friendly.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Wednesday evening I posted a sign stating that my coffee shop in Mineola, TX is Second Amendment Friendly. It seems to have caused a stir which is suprisingly supportive for the most part. The following link is to ONE of the interviews I did with one of the for media outlets who covered the story.
http://www.cbs19.tv/story/23481499/grab-a-cup-of-coffeeand-a-gun

I will make it a point to stop by later this year; I am in Texas twice a year.
interview said:
"I believe that once a person is licensed to carry a weapon there should be no constraints.

The licensing and concealment required in not-so-gun-friendly Texas makes it seem normal, especially when required to hide. Would you be OC friendly, even when a license is not required? I'm not putting you on the spot, so you don't have to answer, I just want you to think about it.

Welcome to OCDO, I think we all look forward to more and more momentum on this issue, and people like you can provide the greatest impetus.

Tammi Riddle

Absolutely

I feel that it is more important for any gun owner to be a RESPONSIBLE gun owner. Licensing is a regulation, not a guarentee that the person is responsible or respects the impact use of a firearm can have on their lives or the lives of others.
As for Texas becoming an Open Carry state, my personal opinion is that when you force law abiding citizens to jump through hoops in order for them to responsibly carry their firearm and stand ready to defend and protect themselves, I feel this gives those who do harm the upper hand and it leaves too many law abiding citizens at risk. So yes, I will continue my stance when Open Carry becomes legal in Texas and will welcome all RESPONSIBLE gun owners and ther gun in my coffee shop. Until then, Lawful Carry and Long Guns are welcome when carried by responsible owners.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I feel that it is more important for any gun owner to be a RESPONSIBLE gun owner. Licensing is a regulation, not a guarentee that the person is responsible or respects the impact use of a firearm can have on their lives or the lives of others.
As for Texas becoming an Open Carry state, my personal opinion is that when you force law abiding citizens to jump through hoops in order for them to responsibly carry their firearm and stand ready to defend and protect themselves, I feel this gives those who do harm the upper hand and it leaves too many law abiding citizens at risk. So yes, I will continue my stance when Open Carry becomes legal in Texas and will welcome all RESPONSIBLE gun owners and ther gun in my coffee shop. Until then, Lawful Carry and Long Guns are welcome when carried by responsible owners.
Very well said.

Look forward to the day when Texas embraces open carry - will be in Houston later this week and do not look forward to having to go through the rigors of concealing.

jrich

Good for you Tammi! There are several local businesses that require I empty my holster before entering. Whole Foods Market is one of them. I believe that is a Texas institution based in Austin. I wish they would wake up and smell the coffee LOL!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Good for you Tammi! There are several local businesses that require I empty my holster before entering. Whole Foods Market is one of them. I believe that is a Texas institution based in Austin. I wish they would wake up and smell the coffee LOL!

Why should they? You apparently shop there anyway. They have no incentive to change their policy.

This is not a slight to you. Everyone needs to do what they need to do in order to do what they feel they need to do. Just don't expect change when you do it.

jrich

Hi Mac

Why should they? You apparently shop there anyway. They have no incentive to change their policy.

This is not a slight to you. Everyone needs to do what they need to do in order to do what they feel they need to do. Just don't expect change when you do it.

A few too many assumptions. I quit shopping at Whole Foods. Corporate America does whatever feels good politically and anything they can to bolster profits, so I most certainly have no expectation they will change their policy; however, it does not hurt to advocate for a more sensible view toward guns given the people they need to fear are those with guns in their pocket and mal intent.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I feel that it is more important for any gun owner to be a RESPONSIBLE gun owner. .

I don't care if someone is "responsible" or not anymore. The word is too much equated with regulation.

What does that word mean anyways?

Can an irresponsible gun owner not harm anyone? Sure.

Note behavior, not notions. "don't point the barrel of a gun at a person" etc ... no need to even use the word "responsible".

The 2nd amendment does not have the word "responsible" contained within it.

Handle your gun so that a person is injured, you'll be held accountable.

The word is used by the antis to support regulation ... but there is no requirement to be "responsible" to own or possess.

wrearick

Come to Virginia! I open carried at a Whole Foods just last week. No Issues or problems.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

eye95

People who ignore the stated wishes of property owners on that property are not pro-Liberty, they are pro I'm-gonna-do-whatever-I-want-to-do-and-to-hell-with-everyone-else. There is a difference, even if they don't see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

XD40sc

And why is that?

Because of the "look at me crowd" like this idiot

skitched-20130809-172049.jpg

eye95

That is not OC. Depending on the jurisdiction, that could be "brandish" or the equivalent.

Yeah, his behavior normalizes the sight of a lawfully carried firearm. :eyeroll:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Kopis

Im in memphis TN and my whole foods isnt posted. My wife and i walked through this weekend to get something for her and i was OCing the whole time. a few hippies glared at me but that was it. There were also two security guards and neither even noticed.