• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Question

Zippoz

I've lurked and looked a lot so if this question has been answered previously please forgive me....

My question concerns weapon security when OCing. How does one prevent someone that you may not see behind you (in a crowd or line or such) from snatching the gun from your holster before you can stop them? Do you all use a holster with some sort of strap over the weapon?

boyscout399

Holsters have different retention levels. You'll see Lvl I, II, III and even IV. The level of the holster relates to how many actions a user must make to release the gun from the holster. Friction is Lvl 1, Friction + Strap is Lvl 2. Friction + Strap + Lever or button would be lvl 3, and so on. Most people use at least a Lvl 2 retention holster, so someone just grabbing and pulling isn't going to release the gun. Most Law Enforcement use a Lvl III holster.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Let me be the first to Welcome you to OCDO! Glad to see you are not lurking anymore, we need fresh thought or we are not being challenged.

You do not say what kind of weapon you carry or any level of experience so specific answers are difficult.
Do you carry for work?...do you carry everyday?....Big gun?..Little gun?
I carry every day. I carry a smallish semi auto pistol(CZ82) in a fobus paddle holster. The key here will be retention. Put your choice of weapon(unloaded) in your choice of holster and have a friend try to pull it out from different angles. This will give you confidence in your equipment and make us all safer.

I think this thread is in the wrong location ( see holsters and accssy) http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?138-Holsters-and-Accessories
and a mod will move it soon. Please do not be surprised.

Last edited:

Zippoz

Let me be the first to Welcome you to OCDO! Glad to see you are not lurking anymore, we need fresh thought or we are not being challenged.

You do not say what kind of weapon you carry or any level of experience so specific answers are difficult.
Do you carry for work?...do you carry everyday?....Big gun?..Little gun?
I carry every day. I carry a smallish semi auto pistol(CZ82) in a fobus paddle holster. The key here will be retention. Put your choice of weapon(unloaded) in your choice of holster and have a friend try to pull it out from different angles. This will give you confidence in your equipment and make us all safer.

I think this thread is in the wrong location ( see holsters and accssy) http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?138-Holsters-and-Accessories
and a mod will move it soon. Please do not be surprised.

Thanks. My question was not intended to be holster or weapon specific (hence my lack of details on those points) but more of a general question about retention when OCing. My personal concern was that, not being as spry or quick as I once was, someone might possibly grab the thing from behind before I could react to prevent it. I haven't seen this particular question posted here previously although, as I indicated, I knew I might have missed it.

The moderators are free to move or delete my post as they see fit, of course. I would not take it personally but thank you again for the warning.

Zippoz

I have trained myself to keep my weapon side elbow in relatively constant contact with my weapon.

Thanks. I'm wondering if I would realize what was happening quickly enough to be able to clamp down and retain the gun... Perhaps some testing would be a good idea as MSG Laigaie suggested...

Zippoz

The clear statement has not been made; many retention holsters will only release to a draw pull from just the proper angle.

My OC holster is called "level two" for its adjustable friction release and trigger guard latch.

Thanks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Did move the thread, but to "Open Carry Questions" as that is what this thread is. :)

We tend to make much of gun retention.....because we are responsible people and an attempted gun snatch just might occur some day. Though there have been a few reports over the years, virtually none have stood the test of careful examination. Putting a hypothetical ratio/percentage to it, I'd say the odds are about .00001% - more likely that almost any other catastrophe will occasion you.

Even with those favorable figures, we almost inclusively not only recommend retention holsters but retention training. One is good, both are better.
icon14.png

WalkingWolf

If gun snatch is a concern besides training, and retention holster you can wear at 10 or 2 o'clock on your belt. I carry my crossdraw BUG at 10 , my primary at 3.

Firearms Iinstuctor

When I was working I went to the higher level holsters more for the reason that during hard physical actively such as running, wrestling with a suspect one was more likely to have ones side arm come out and fall to the ground with level one or level twos then to have it grabbed.

I was running after a suspect one night and my elbow hit the thumb break and my side arm came out of it holster. I was lucky that I felt it come out and was able to catch it. After that chase I went to higher retention holsters.

Silvertongue

I carry a Level One (that I made myself; super proud if you can't tell) with my elbow on it, but I also like having my holster canted forward about 10 degrees.

Easier for me to feel the contact with my elbow and a MUCH weaker wrist position for someone going for a grab from behind.

Also more comfortable for me while sitting/driving.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I use a Serpa Level II CQC paddle holster, plus for added safety I add a large dose of situational awareness. Even without a gun, people need to be more aware of their surroundings. Too many times people have headphones on, and totally engrossed in their electronic gizmo.

Difdi

With a good retention holster, it's usually easier for a would-be gun grabber to cut your belt than to remove the gun from the holster without your permission.

WalkingWolf

Successful LEO gun grabs that have been recorded usually show the LEO is overpowered before the grab. Most thugs are well aware of retention and all the buttons. I see no reason that they would not use the same on a LAC, IF and that is a big IF, they decide to snatch a gun. Most times that a LEO gun is snatched the snatcher is avoiding a arrest, something that LAC's should not be doing.