• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in gang territory

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Many urban cultures and other "bad" areas have strong respect based beliefs showing respect goes a long long way.

Yes. Keep in mind that, regardless of your opinion of the area, these are the people that live there. If you walk into someone's home and express disdain for their housekeeping, or taste in decoration, or "house rules" then you're the rude one.

Personally, I attempt to leave my judgements of others at home, regardless of my destination or intended route. Unfortunately, I often fall short in that attempt . . .

I also agree with the other advice offered here. Stay alert, do your best to avoid trouble, and be ready and willing to end it if any comes your way.

acmariner99

Lots of good points - it is like I have always said: "how you carry yourself is more important than how you carry your weapon." It doesn't matter what neighborhood I am in, if I am constantly anxious or nervous, people will respond accordingly. I can't say I have stopped in many bad neighborhoods, I usually go through them as I have no business being there in the first place.

sudden valley gunner

Yes. Keep in mind that, regardless of your opinion of the area, these are the people that live there. If you walk into someone's home and express disdain for their housekeeping, or taste in decoration, or "house rules" then you're the rude one.

Personally, I attempt to leave my judgements of others at home, regardless of my destination or intended route. Unfortunately, I often fall short in that attempt . . .

I also agree with the other advice offered here. Stay alert, do your best to avoid trouble, and be ready and willing to end it if any comes your way.

+1

Lots of good points - it is like I have always said: "how you carry yourself is more important than how you carry your weapon." It doesn't matter what neighborhood I am in, if I am constantly anxious or nervous, people will respond accordingly. I can't say I have stopped in many bad neighborhoods, I usually go through them as I have no business being there in the first place.

+1

I grew up in bad neighborhoods and lived on rez's too as a kid. The majority of the people are not bad people.

Dav

Nebraska handgun law has an affirmative defense clause section that basically says if you were engaged in lawful business but felt for safety reasons it would be a good idea to carry a handgun then it is an affirmative defense.

I would copy and paste but I'm on my phone. That's the cliff notes. So basically if I were to go into gang territory (north Omaha) I would CC. Last time I was in North Omaha I watched a bunch of black kids beat the snot out of some dude walking to school. Like they savagely and from a bystanders point of view randomly attacked him. It was brutal, and I was unarmed. I felt so bad for the kid. It was the most helpless I've ever felt my entire life, and I hope I never have to feel that way again.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nebraska handgun law has an affirmative defense clause section that basically says if you were engaged in lawful business but felt for safety reasons it would be a good idea to carry a handgun then it is an affirmative defense.

--snipped--
The problem with an "affirmative defense" is that it is a crap shoot in court after having been arrested/charged and having to go through the time, expense, etc. of defending.

JoeSparky

Centurion
The problem with an "affirmative defense" is that it is a crap shoot in court after having been arrested/charged and having to go through the time, expense, etc. of defending.

Agreed! Basically turns the concept of innocent until proven guilty on its head by requiring one to convince the court that a specific law does not apply to the individual.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk