• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster question

Glocklover20

Hi, I have my cc and my ic, I carry in a safariland oc holster and a bianchi model 135. When I carry with my Bianchi top of the slide and the enitire grip is vissible, would this be considerd oc or cc?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg I only ask incase I ever wear a button up shirt with a jacket and choose to remove the jacket.

XD9_MS

To me, what I see in the picture would be OC. BUT, correct me if I'm wrong, MS being an open carry estate and you having your CC permit, what does it matter? You can either open or concealed carry, so don't worry about technicalities! Lol

Glocklover20

To me, what I see in the picture would be OC. BUT, correct me if I'm wrong, MS being an open carry estate and you having your CC permit, what does it matter? You can either open or concealed carry, so don't worry about technicalities! Lol
it matters because the trooper who issued my permit made it clear if you cc it must stay concealed so I wasnt really sure where that fits in.

XD9_MS

Well, The picture is clearly not concealed, so you would be OCing. As you just said, concealed means concealed so if I can't see it, it's CC. That's why I said it doesn't matter, you got a permit so you can carry as you wish.

southernredneck1

The trooper is blowing smoke. You can carry either way in Mississippi. Just be sure to have your permission slip if you CC. You cannot get in trouble if you start CCing and then switch to OCing, like if you were taking off your jacket. About the only place I can think of something like that being illegal is Texas. Carry any way you want.

4angrybadgers

it matters because the trooper who issued my permit made it clear if you cc it must stay concealed so I wasnt really sure where that fits in.

As I and others have pointed out to you before, cops don't make law, and most of the time are horribly misinformed (or outright intentionally wrong), so why do you act like a trooper's word is law? Why can't you just go straight to the REAL state law?

MS Code 97-37-1:
(4) For the purposes of this section, "concealed" means hidden or obscured from common observation and shall not include any weapon listed in subsection (1) of this section, including, but not limited to, a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a sheath, belt holster or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case for carrying the weapon that is wholly or partially visible.
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/

Last edited:

Glocklover20

As I and others have pointed out to you before, cops don't make law, and most of the time are horribly misinformed (or outright intentionally wrong), so why do you act like a trooper's word is law? Why can't you just go straight to the REAL state law?

MS Code 97-37-1:

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/

I didnt no the law thats why I did not go straight to the law, second he may not know the law but he deals with cc permits everyday and when cops dont know they call him so id like to not be arrested, I dont need any smart comments I asked a question if you are not from MS you most likely dont know, thats why I posted in the Ms forum. Thanks for all the answers and help

Last edited:

independence

You have as much chance being arrested for going from CC to OC as you do for just OCing in general. Carry a recorder.

southernredneck1

As far as not being from the state, I was actually born there, currently live on the state line, and very frequently visit family there all the time.

4angrybadgers

I didnt no the law thats why I did not go straight to the law, second he may not know the law but he deals with cc permits everyday and when cops dont know they call him so id like to not be arrested, I dont need any smart comments I asked a question if you are not from MS you most likely dont know, thats why I posted in the Ms forum. Thanks for all the answers and help

Two years ago a cop in Louisiana told my friend that he couldn't OC at the Washington Parish Free Fair (wrong!), and told him to put the gun in his backpack (friend had no CC permit, so the cop told him to commit a felony!). You can poke around OCDO for similar stories if you're bored enough. If you still want to rely on the word of a cop to guide your actions, when both they and you are ignorant of the law... all I can say is good luck.

Edit: OK, I reread what you posted and what I posted, and I may have misunderstood you. I think by "I didnt no [sic] the law" that you mean you don't know which sections to go to. Fair enough, and I apologize for not being more helpful. Go to http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/ to see the MS state laws. I've highlighted the sections I consider minimum reading for anyone carrying a weapon (just my opinion!). There are a few others that are related to weapons carry and state pre-emption, I'll try to dig those up later this morning.

Last edited:

georg jetson

The trooper is correct. If you cc it must stay concealed. Of course, he would be right if he said in order to be "in" a building, you must stay in the building because if you go outside you're not in the building anymore. So what...

What he said was correct but trivial.

Last edited:

Glocklover20

As far as not being from the state, I was actually born there, currently live on the state line, and very frequently visit family there all the time.

Thats nice, now if you will look at the top of the site you will see a notification from before that post which explained i was not directing that at you or a few others who also got the messages.

Glocklover20

[

Edit: OK, I reread what you posted and what I posted, and I may have misunderstood you. I think by "I didnt no [sic] the law" that you mean you don't know which sections to go to. Fair enough, and I apologize for not being more helpful. Go to http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/ to see the MS state laws. I've highlighted the sections I consider minimum reading for anyone carrying a weapon (just my opinion!). There are a few others that are related to weapons carry and state pre-emption, I'll try to dig those up later this morning.

Thanks that is very helpful, ive found states like AL have gov websites that are easy to find with all firearm laws/regs....i may be wrong but i cant find one for MS, maybe something to look for from the state soon.

Last edited:

Kopis

Tennessee is OC with a handgun carry permit however most LEOs and even HCP class instructors all say only CC is permitted which just isnt true.