• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with lost Ohio CCW Certificate? Do I have to re-train?

gunhandbags

Didn't know where to post this as I am fairly new. I took my CCW class in March and lost my certificate right afterwards while moving. My instructor has told me repeatedly he would print out a new one but he is going through family troubles and I just never seem to get one from him. Do I have to re-train or re-take the class to get another Certificate? Or is there a centralized system somewhere in Ohio that might be able to print it out so I can take to the local Sheriff and apply for the permit? If anyone knows I would appreciate help.

jackrockblc

I would be VERY much surprised if these certificates were centralized at any point. In Colorado, I have not found evidence that these were recorded by any Sheriff's office before I applied for my own permit - and I have two certificates (two different trainers). In fact, from the instructor whose certificate I used, he straight up informed me that he does not submit them to anybody but the student(s). And yet, the office still issued my CHP to me.

So, at this point, it sounds like get another certificate from your original instructor, or taking another class from somebody else, are your only options.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Show up at a scheduled class with your hand out and a smile......bet he would come through w/o charge :lol:

JustaShooter

There is no centralized system in Ohio for the training certificates - an instructor might use the NRA course and provide an NRA certificate, or design his own course and supply his own certificate. Grapeshot has a good idea - show up ad his next scheduled class with your hand out.

If that fails to work, and you cannot get the certificate from your instructor any other way, then you may have no choice but to take the class again.