• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winter has arrived

OC Freedom

The cold temperatures have arrived in Idaho and no more open carry until March or so. I enjoy winter, it brings good things like sitting around a fire spending time with friends and family. The winter with its cold and snow does make Christmas time feel special, it brings back the warm memories of times past, but it does mean open carry season is over.

I am back to concealed carry this week and after spending 7+ months open carrying I already miss it. Concealed carry is just not as comfortable and it just feels wrong to hide my pistol like a thug. I now look just like all the other sheep mulling about during their day, looking like prey to the wolves with no real way to bare my teeth so to speak. Well, that's the price one pays to live where you get all four seasons.

No real point to my post, just my thoughts on weather and its effect on open carrying.

badger54

Why not get a 5.11 patrol jacket or something similar and OC with a winter coat on. That's what I do at work. There is a side zip to allow your firearm to be exposed.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why not get a 5.11 patrol jacket or something similar and OC with a winter coat on. That's what I do at work. There is a side zip to allow your firearm to be exposed.

Or for significantly less than buying a fancy new jacket, take one you already own to your local tailor and show them where you want a zipper installed and how high you want it to go. Bring a picture of the name-brand product if you want to.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Or for significantly less than buying a fancy new jacket, take one you already own to your local tailor and show them where you want a zipper installed and how high you want it to go. Bring a picture of the name-brand product if you want to.

stay safe.
Though I have promised to do that for many years, verily it's still on my bucket list.

I seldom wear long coats, so it is still effective to flip the flap (Virginia tuck) on my jackets, even when zipped.

Last edited:

badger54

My summer rain/wind jacket is pea cut so I can still access everything on my belt. But for the winters I'm willing to cover everything up other then the gun for the little bit extra warmth.

Logan 5

Years ago when I had a Beretta 92FS I found that the colder it got the slower the action was on the pistol. I found by stripping it down and cleaning the oils out of it and then rubbing the working parts down with graphite the cold weather performance improved. Nothing like warm weather, it seemed like it was rather "clunky" (right term?).

davidmcbeth

Banned
Cold temps have nothing to do with when winter starts ... happens on/about 21 DEC 14 where I live.

Being nit-picky here ....

SovereigntyOrDeath

The weather in Coeur D Alene has been very mild.

I open carry my HK 45 and it is tested to -42 degrees F and I don't believe rain will bother it much.

I will open carry, no matter the weather and I refuse to get a "permit" to carry concealed.

My philosophy of use does not change with the weather.

Carry On!