• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Toby Keith has a restaurant I'll not patronize

F350

I could see gang insignias or something. What about "Christian Motorcycle Group " and similar? He might as well put up a sign that says "No rednecks, no city slickers, no Country folks, and no purple people eaters!"

It is not about his rights to me, it's about the failure to support the Constitution. No one who fully supports the Constitution would have such an asinine s sign...

Blade

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I guess they don't want Patriot Guard Riders either.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Good news...

"Newport News City Center developer: Toby Keith's I Love This Bar is out"

http://www.dailypress.com/business/dp-newport-news-city-center-toby-keith-bar-20150102-story.html

Good news would have been that they dropped the "no Guns" policy. Even better would have been that Toby Keith publically apologized for the policy being there in the first place.

News of a business closing is never good news. I am a bit confused, though - was it a scarcity of renecks in the area that caused it's financial problems?

stay safe.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Good news would have been that they dropped the "no Guns" policy. Even better would have been that Toby Keith publically apologized for the policy being there in the first place.

News of a business closing is never good news. I am a bit confused, though - was it a scarcity of renecks in the area that caused it's financial problems?

stay safe.

Allowing guns and/or providing an apology would have been great. Those didn't happen, and I'm not above taking some satisfaction from their closing.

Not sure exactly why it closed, though every time I went by there it was empty. It was a country bar, er - restaurant, in a development marketed as upscale. -- that probably was a factor.

The Truth

Toby Keith is a hypocrite, a nationalist, and a blithering idiot. None of this is any surprise. He got his check for the name usage. What does he care?

"We'll put a boot in your ass - it's the American way!" and other ridiculously "patriotic" songs after 9/11 made me gag on my own vomit. I really don't like the guy and would never be caught at any event or venue associated with him in any way.

utbagpiper

Banned
It never ceases to amaze me that there are country singers who are quite liberal and support people such as Obama. Faith Hill and her husband, Tim McGraw, came out in his support as did Kelly Clarkson. Don't they know their audience? Or do they just assume they will be overlooked?

I realize that at one time country music was probably the sole realm of actual, rural folks who happened to have musical talent and sang about what they knew. Today, country music is big business.

While attending college in the Boston area some 20 years ago I met, through church, several persons attending one or another of the fine music/performing schools in the area. None of the music students I met happened to come from rural or even highly conservative backgrounds. They were talented musicians attending some very good schools, looking to make a career in the music business.

Where they ended up, what genre they pursued seemed to me to be a combination of personal taste, talent and voice style, along with dumb luck and which opportunity hit first.

I remember one associate doing a performance for our church group that included some country numbers. He had an appropriate costume--and for him, it really was a costume as opposed to normal or working attire--for the numbers and performed very well. Knowing of my more rural upbringing, afterwards he asked me what I thought. I told him his music was great, but that if he was going to do country, he needed to get more comfortable with the cowboy hat and to stop adjusting it so much because it made obvious that he wasn't comfortable in that hat.

Frankly, I'm with WalkingWolf on this one.

I don't care about and don't much care to know about the politics (or even religious views) of entertainers, or clerks in the grocery store, or the guy selling me burgers. If someone wants to sell me a CD, or hamburger, or a gallon of milk or gasoline, then let's have that be the basis of our relationship and leave everything else out of it.

Obviously, everyone has his right to speak his mind. And if entertainers want to get political so be it. Elton John has some great music regardless of what I think of his personal sex life. So I don't give his sex life much thought. Ditto for Tom Cruise's religious beliefs, or a musician's political views. If these things get to the point they distract from the product being sold, it will affect sales.

As for the gun ban itself, I find such bans no more (nor less) offensive than I would a company policy banning blacks, Irish, Catholics, or women. And I think most such bans arise for the same mindset.

Charles

Old Virginia Joe

Dear sweet and fluffy shivering shiva! How many times are we going to need to go over this?

ONLY the government is precluded by the Constitution from doing certain things about controlling your speech or your keeping and bearing of arms. Private businesses can do just about anything they want to.

How about we start using the term "fundamental rights" or "civil rights" as opposed to First or Second Amendment Rights when dealing with not-the-government? If nothing else it will keep my blood pressure at a much lower level.

stay safe.

I have to admit that I used to have such ignorant (but well-meaning) thoughts like the one corrected here by Skid. I learned it from my homefolks. Yes, I, too, was ignorant! But then, somehow, I sort of woke up to the foolishness I had been repeating. Kind of like people who shout "I could care less!" They have not yet come to a place where they think about the actual words they are saying. They just repeat the ignorance they hear around them. Problem is, how can we possibly wake up the general population from saying such dumb things? I'm not sure we can ever, like putting out a field of grass on fire with a squirt gun . . . . . we can only correct them one at a time, and that just ain't making any real progress. Pretty sad, and explains our Amerikan society today.

WalkingWolf

Only the government can force you to buy health care. So far a person's choice of commerce is their choice. Claiming otherwise is childish. It has nothing to do with BOR, it has to do with freedom of choice.

Until they make a law forcing me to eat in a specific restaurant, "I could care less", or to put it better "kick rocks". I will eat where I choose.

va_tazdad

It's not country, it's White Pop.

Toby is country. Taylor Swift is now "bubblegum" pop.

Big difference. He has done over 300 USO shows all across the world and supports the military.

Can't say that about many others. If the fools that want to ban guns from his signature bars, so be it. I don't go to bars any more.

I still like and listen to his music. It makes me laugh.

Roverhound

Toby is country. Taylor Swift is now "bubblegum" pop.

Big difference. He has done over 300 USO shows all across the world and supports the military.

Can't say that about many others. If the fools that want to ban guns from his signature bars, so be it. I don't go to bars any more.

I still like and listen to his music. It makes me laugh.

No, it's white pop. It may not be bubblegum but it has a spearmint flavor to it.

The Truth

Toby Keith is not country...haha! He's mainstream-powerpop-countrywave-hot garbage to appease the moronic masses while their eyes glaze over with nationalism/jingoism just long enough to perpetuate the capitalist consumer-based economy they blindly feed into while complaining about the price of Starbucks' coffee.

Roverhound

Toby Keith is not country...haha! He's mainstream-powerpop-countrywave-hot garbage to appease the moronic masses while their eyes glaze over with nationalism/jingoism just long enough to perpetuate the capitalist consumer-based economy they blindly feed into while complaining about the price of Starbucks' coffee.

Right on brother! Fight the power!

B. Reddy

Another gun-ban business goes belly-up

The Toby's in Minneapolis suddenly went out of business Wednesday. Not paying your state liquor tax really puts the brakes on business.

"The Phoenix-based corporation that owns the restaurant in the Shops at West End in St. Louis Park has shut down at least half a dozen other restaurants in the chain around the country over the last year. As of May 15, the Minnesota restaurant was listed on the state’s tax delinquency list. And under state law, it couldn’t purchase liquor, beer or wine as long as it remained on that list.

“We completely ran out of beer last week,” said former manager Greg Tamble."

http://www.startribune.com/toby-keith-s-restaurant-in-st-louis-park-shuts-down/309960611/

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Toby Keith said:
...“We completely ran out of beer last week,..."

On an unrelated note, about three hours later, Toby Keith fans began complaining about the quality of his music.

92fan

The Toby's in Minneapolis suddenly went out of business Wednesday. Not paying your state liquor tax really puts the brakes on business.

"The Phoenix-based corporation that owns the restaurant in the Shops at West End in St. Louis Park has shut down at least half a dozen other restaurants in the chain around the country over the last year. As of May 15, the Minnesota restaurant was listed on the state’s tax delinquency list. And under state law, it couldn’t purchase liquor, beer or wine as long as it remained on that list.

“We completely ran out of beer last week,” said former manager Greg Tamble."

http://www.startribune.com/toby-keith-s-restaurant-in-st-louis-park-shuts-down/309960611/

The Woodbridge location has also closed in the last couple weeks. Glad to see another anti-2nd amendment go under. :banana::monkey