• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about reciprocity...

Baked on Grease

Article IV, Section 1:

"Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof."

So, as understand it, this clause of the Constitution provides the backdrop for why things like Marriage licenses and Drivers licenses are recognized by all states... but why does this not apply to handgun permits and licenses and the like?

Just a thought that popped into my head when reading about the push for Constitutional Carry in various states, I am not well versed on the ins and outs surrounding this clause. Anyone more lawyerly than I care to explain why this clause does or doesn't pertain to CHP/CWL and similar weapons license/permits?

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
Sadly the Second Amendment is all we need for "reciprocity" in all 50 States, yet Local, State and Federal Governments and their enFORCErs wipe their rear ends with it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Drivers licenses from one state are recognized by the other states because they all signed on to a convention to do so. That it allowed state A to use state B to collect ticket fines that driver C blew off because he was never going back to state A has nothing to do with things. Amirite?)

Not even half the states recognize the marriage licenses of other states - especially those where the marriage (not civil union) is between two people of the same sex. There is no interstate compact saying they all agree to recognize what another state has done. It's on the SCOTUS docket and may well be the last decision they hand down before going on vacation in 2016.

The 10th Amendment also allows states to control behavior within their boundaries so long as that behavior does not impact interstate commerce. Up till now nobody has won the argument that recognition/non-recognition of one state's CCW/CHP/LCP/whatever by another state impacts interstate commerce.

stay safe.

district9

Drivers licenses from one state are recognized by the other states because they all signed on to a convention to do so. That it allowed state A to use state B to collect ticket fines that driver C blew off because he was never going back to state A has nothing to do with things. Amirite?)

Not even half the states recognize the marriage licenses of other states - especially those where the marriage (not civil union) is between two people of the same sex. There is no interstate compact saying they all agree to recognize what another state has done. It's on the SCOTUS docket and may well be the last decision they hand down before going on vacation in 2016.

The 10th Amendment also allows states to control behavior within their boundaries so long as that behavior does not impact interstate commerce. Up till now nobody has won the argument that recognition/non-recognition of one state's CCW/CHP/LCP/whatever by another state impacts interstate commerce.

stay safe.

But driving and marriage are not explicit rights whereas the Second Amendment is explicit, and SCOTUS has confirmed it as an individual right. I'm not seeing how interstate commerce plays into that.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
But driving and marriage are not explicit rights whereas the Second Amendment is explicit, and SCOTUS has confirmed it as an individual right. I'm not seeing how interstate commerce plays into that.

The BOR addresses implicit and unenumerated as well as explicit rights. Driving has never been defined as a right, but marriage comes under the Declaration of Independence's "Life, Liberty, and the Perfuit of Happiness", as well as having been stuffed into the 1st Amendment right to freedom of association.

In varying forms SCOTUS has also confirmed that the benefits of marriage (primarily tax status, inheritence, child rearing) are "individual" rights - which is why the big dust-up over same-sex marriages not being allowed/recognized no matter how you slice the gay rights BS.

SCOTUS has affirmed that RKBA is an individual right that may be exercised within the person's state of residence/domocile, but like so many of the other "don't they know what "shall not be infringed" arguments wonder, Congress uses the Commerce Clause like a chimpanzee flinging poo - it's messy but it accomplishes most of what they (the chimp or Congress, take your pick) wanted to do.

stay safe.