• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

fingerprinting on the books in Isle of Wight

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Everytime I look at one of these rural areas I find the fingerprinting ordinance. I wonder if VCDL's going to address them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As we are made aware of them. What works best is for someone to take on the problem, then give us the good news.

Don't know if this is current/up to date or not.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Sqf9mIPiKOXw6H_XZOM/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1#gid=0

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...es-Stop-amp-ID-CHP-Reqs-Airguns-amp-Park-Bans

I know grape. I just hate taking on CHP issues..but I've done it before and I guess I'll hook up the recorder and call the county attorney.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yep - Isle of Wright has illegal requirement.

Sec. 16.2-1. - Concealed handgun permits.

"Pursuant to section 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia of 1950, as amended, any person twenty-one years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the County of Isle of Wight, Virginia, if he resides therein, for a permit to carry a concealed handgun. As a condition thereof, the applicant shall submit to fingerprinting by the sheriff's department of Isle of Wight County, Virginia and provide personal descriptive information to be forwarded with the fingerprints through the Central Criminal Records Exchange to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of obtaining criminal history records information regarding the applicant and obtaining fingerprint identification information from federal records pursuant to criminal investigations by state and local law enforcement agencies.............."

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...US&pli=1#gid=0

Last edited:

TFred

"Pursuant to section 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia of 1950, as amended, any person twenty-one years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the County of Isle of Wight, Virginia, if he resides therein, for a permit to carry a concealed handgun. As a condition thereof, the applicant shall submit to fingerprinting by the sheriff's department of Isle of Wight County, Virginia and provide personal descriptive information to be forwarded with the fingerprints through the Central Criminal Records Exchange to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of obtaining criminal history records information regarding the applicant and obtaining fingerprint identification information from federal records pursuant to criminal investigations by state and local law enforcement agencies.............."

And just because you haven't stated the bigger problem here:

The ENTIRE section, 16.2-1 is illegal and should be removed. The preemption section of the Code of Virginia does not say that a local jurisdiction may regulate the carry of firearms "as long as it matches the Code of Virginia." No, it says that the local jurisdiction MAY NOT REGULATE the carry of firearms. Period.

The entire ordinance is illegal.

TFred

2a4all

And just because you haven't stated the bigger problem here:

The ENTIRE section, 16.2-1 is illegal and should be removed. The preemption section of the Code of Virginia does not say that a local jurisdiction may regulate the carry of firearms "as long as it matches the Code of Virginia." No, it says that the local jurisdiction MAY NOT REGULATE the carry of firearms. Period.

The entire ordinance is illegal.

TFred
That's essentially what happened in York County. They wanted to amend their ordinance to remove the fingerprint requirement, which would have left them with an ordinance regulating carry in violation of preemption.

It made my argument for repeal to their Board of Supervisors easy and successful.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Many hands make light work - if only everyone here would take on one of these each as a pet project.

I'll look at Sussex again. If I remember right I stepped on Philips toes year before last when he was fixing it.

paramedic70002

The Chairman of the IoW Board of Supervisors, Rex Alphin, used to be my Scoutmaster. Would you like for me to contact him about removing the law?

Eh never mind, I just sent him a message linking to the topic.

Last edited: