• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My letter to Clark County Parks and Rec.

Nevada carrier

Sent to;

CCPR Police Div. CDR.: Roy A. Michael
CCPR Director: Jane Pike
CCPR Assistant director: Mindy Meyers

To whom it may concern,

As I’m sure some of you are aware, Senate Bill 175 became effective upon Governor Sandoval’s signature yesterday. This means that effective immediately, CCPR may no longer prohibit firearms in County parks nor may CCPR enforce that prohibition under 19.04.060 or 19.04.080. In addition to being rendered null and void by the language of the bill, The county must repeal or amend all offending statutes, codes or regulations related to firearms and remove or modify any signage or notice on display which threatens arrest and criminal prosecution for violation of any code or ordinance related to firearms that is not prescribed by the legislature. Please be advised that the civil repercussions for unlawful arrest and prosecution under the a for mentioned statutes are severe, and may total up to three times actual under certain circumstances.

I understand that county government still has discretion with regard to regulation of discharge of firearms; this is not in dispute. Please revise your Rules and Regulations striking the prohibition of possession and carry of firearms, amend the Rules to exempt discharge of firearms in necessary self-defense. Please post the update signs, removing the offending prohibition and remove the language prohibiting firearms located at the following website:

http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/depts/admin_services/park_police/Pages/default.aspx

Very Respectfully,

I will keep you updated on the responses

Nevada carrier

One read receipt received.
Your message

To: Roy Michael
Subject: Parks & Recreation: Rules & Regulations
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 8:12:41 AM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)

was read on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 8:18:30 AM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada).

Nevada carrier

Another read receipt.

Your message

To: Mindy Meyers
Subject: Parks & Recreation: Rules & Regulations
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 8:12:41 AM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)

was read on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 11:30:54 AM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada).

garand_guy

Me too, I blasted them twice already as well as the county commissioners. Let's put our heads together on this one if they start getting smart with us.

garand_guy

My letter:

As you may be aware, Gov. Brian Sandoval, on 6/2/2015, into law new provisions regarding firearms regulations. Senate Bills SB 175 and 240 contain language altering existing statutes (NRS 244.364) that govern the ability of local governments to make or enforce local regulations regarding firearms. These provisions, in particular, take effect immediately (Section 14).

NRS 244.364 specifically affects county ordinance 19.04.060, which grants the ability to create park rules and regulations. Two of these regulations, the prohibition against concealed weapons and possession of a firearm in county parks, are directly affected by the language of SB 175. This regulation against lawful possession of firearms in a county park has been declared null and void, as of Gov. Sandoval’s signature on 6/2/2015.

NRS 244.364, as amended by the legislature, now reserves all rights, excluding discharge of firearms, to the legislature and state law. There is no authorization for Clark County to continue its prohibition against firearms in parks. I have attached a copy of the enrolled bill for your reference, rather than quoting the relevant sections.

I am aware of Attorney General Cortez-Masto’s August 2010 opinion to then District Attorney Roger justifying the continued prohibition against possession of firearms in the park. Cortez-Masto based her justification in that Section 5 of chapter 308, Statutes of Nevada 1989, as amended by chapter 320, Statutes of Nevada 2007, continued in force any local regulations that were adopted before June 13, 1989.

Please note that Section 11 of SB 175 deleted this language, and amended it to state: “The provisions of this act apply to ordinances or regulations adopted before, on or after June 13, 1989.” The exemption that was previously granted is now null and void.

At this time, there is no legal authorization for Clark County to prohibit firearms in county parks and any such enforcement of any prohibition by police would be illegal. Please refer to NRS sections 197.180,Wrongful exercise of official power, and 197.200, Oppression under color of office.

I respectfully demand that the prohibition against concealed firearms and possession of firearms in county parks be immediately discontinued and all signs stating such prohibition be replaced or altered. Additionally, I request that all park police officers be informed of the regulations invalidity and ordered to cease enforcement of this regulation.

Please provide a reply.

Thank you,

DON`T TREAD ON ME

My letter:

As you may be aware, Gov. Brian Sandoval, on 6/2/2015, into law new provisions regarding firearms regulations. Senate Bills SB 175 and 240 contain language altering existing statutes (NRS 244.364) that govern the ability of local governments to make or enforce local regulations regarding firearms. These provisions, in particular, take effect immediately (Section 14).

NRS 244.364 specifically affects county ordinance 19.04.060, which grants the ability to create park rules and regulations. Two of these regulations, the prohibition against concealed weapons and possession of a firearm in county parks, are directly affected by the language of SB 175. This regulation against lawful possession of firearms in a county park has been declared null and void, as of Gov. Sandoval’s signature on 6/2/2015.

NRS 244.364, as amended by the legislature, now reserves all rights, excluding discharge of firearms, to the legislature and state law. There is no authorization for Clark County to continue its prohibition against firearms in parks. I have attached a copy of the enrolled bill for your reference, rather than quoting the relevant sections.

I am aware of Attorney General Cortez-Masto’s August 2010 opinion to then District Attorney Roger justifying the continued prohibition against possession of firearms in the park. Cortez-Masto based her justification in that Section 5 of chapter 308, Statutes of Nevada 1989, as amended by chapter 320, Statutes of Nevada 2007, continued in force any local regulations that were adopted before June 13, 1989.

Please note that Section 11 of SB 175 deleted this language, and amended it to state: “The provisions of this act apply to ordinances or regulations adopted before, on or after June 13, 1989.” The exemption that was previously granted is now null and void.

At this time, there is no legal authorization for Clark County to prohibit firearms in county parks and any such enforcement of any prohibition by police would be illegal. Please refer to NRS sections 197.180,Wrongful exercise of official power, and 197.200, Oppression under color of office.

I respectfully demand that the prohibition against concealed firearms and possession of firearms in county parks be immediately discontinued and all signs stating such prohibition be replaced or altered. Additionally, I request that all park police officers be informed of the regulations invalidity and ordered to cease enforcement of this regulation.

Please provide a reply.

Thank you,

Good work Everyone. Since you guys already have the heat on, when you get the lame response from Jane pike.... Hit her with a NRS 239 NORA request, Something like:

Pursuant to NRS Chapter 239 I hereby request the following.
  • All written policy,Memo's, inter office publications, emails,administrative notifications, or the same derived from other Departments including the Fusion center, addressing the procedural, and training changes required to adjust to SB 175

That should ensure a response as well as put them on notice. If they lack any action... That speaks as well.

Vegassteve

I just got this via FB from the parks dept. I replied that I would be carrying in the parks and expected zero issues going forward.

We are aware of these new provisions and efforts are currently underway to implement the legislative changes. Thank you.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I just got this via FB from the parks dept. I replied that I would be carrying in the parks and expected zero issues going forward.

We are aware of these new provisions and efforts are currently underway to implement the legislative changes. Thank you.

What's funny is that if they do absolutely NOTHING to us, they have just implemented the legislative changes, but that's a concept that does not compute.

garand_guy

That was my email reply. No confirmation back. Sending a new blast tonight.

Edit: Called the park police, Ofc. Chambers told me to call the chief tomorrow. Sent a 3rd email to them again tonight.

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

That was my email reply. No confirmation back. Sending a new blast tonight.

Edit: Called the park police, Ofc. Chambers told me to call the chief tomorrow. Sent a 3rd email to them again tonight.

I recieved the exact same e-mail from Jane Pike that you did. They wont commit to anything or make a definitive statement, which is what they should be doing.

Nevada carrier

CCPR has updated their published rules and regulations online to comply with SB-175;

See here (still prohibits discharge):
http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/depts/parks/Pages/rules-regulations.aspx

Discharging of any firearms, or carrying, possessing or discharging any firecrackers, rockets, torpedoes, or other fireworks, slingshots, boomerangs within any County facility or park without written approval from the Director of Parks & Recreation or designee.

and here (makes no mention of discharge, but prohibits bludgeoning devices):
http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/depts/...lice/Pages/ClarkCountyCodeRelatedtoParks.aspx

It is unlawful, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, for any person, except a peace officer, to carry or possess any mace, numb-chuck, truncheon or other bludgeoning weapon or device capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm, without first having received written permission to possess the same from the sheriff. (Misdemeanor)

ed2276

CCPR has updated their published rules and regulations online to comply with SB-175;

...carrying, possessing or discharging any torpedoes...without written approval from the Director of Parks & Recreation or designee.

Was there a rash of torpedoing of boats/ships in the Clark County Parks going on before this rule was enacted?

Last edited: