• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

[Off Topic] CHP requires Notary for Renewal

Baked on Grease

Topic came up as someone I know is up for renewal... We have lots of threads in the Virgina forums of people fighting the 'extra-legal' requirements that local courts add on that VA doesn't allow but... i looked through previous threads and everyone is talking about sending the notarized renewal application in... where in the law is the requirement to notarize the renewal?

I see in the section for applying for the permit it requires notary, but not under the section for renewal.

So the question is: ARE we required, by law, to have the renewal application notarized before submitting it? And if so, please share a Cite to Authority.

TFred

Easy Peasy:

First:

§ 18.2-308.010. Renewal of concealed handgun permit.
A.1. Persons who previously have held a concealed handgun permit shall be issued, upon application as provided in § 18.2-308.02, a new five-year permit...​

Reference to:

§ 18.2-308.02. Application for a concealed handgun permit; Virginia resident or domiciliary.
A. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States armed forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. There shall be no requirement regarding the length of time an applicant has been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city. The application shall be made under oath before a notary or other person qualified to take oaths​

So, the renewal reference to the same application as the original, which requires the notarization.

TFred

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Easy Peasy:

First:

§ 18.2-308.010. Renewal of concealed handgun permit.
A.1. Persons who previously have held a concealed handgun permit shall be issued, upon application as provided in § 18.2-308.02, a new five-year permit...​

Reference to:

§ 18.2-308.02. Application for a concealed handgun permit; Virginia resident or domiciliary.
A. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States armed forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. There shall be no requirement regarding the length of time an applicant has been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city. The application shall be made under oath before a notary or other person qualified to take oaths​

So, the renewal reference to the same application as the original, which requires the notarization.

TFred

or other person qualified to take oaths
To clarify, you could use a Notary Public, or the court clerk can do the trick when you drop it off at the courthouse.