• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accepting reality or outright hypocrisy?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/andy-parker-gun-control-alison-parker_55e0af1be4b0b7a96338e827

headline:

Slain Reporter's Father Fears For His Safety As He Takes Up Gun Control Activism
Andy Parker is even thinking of buying a gun of his own.

HuffPost's reporting:

"When you're in the media, as you know, and when you're taking on an issue like this, there are a lot of people who take exception to what you're saying," Parker said during a press conference Friday afternoon.

He added that he doesn't own a gun but he may buy one to protect himself. Although he hasn't received any threats yet, he said he doesn't want to "take any chances."

"I don't own a gun. We don't have a gun in our family," Parker said. "I'm probably going to have to get one. Sad to say, but I -- unfortunately, that's just the world we live in."

Now just who would those "a lot of people" be? Are we getting the "gun-owning RKBA activists are just waiting for the chance to blow someone away" canard? I can't see any of the anti-rights folks pushing for more ineffective "gun control" being inclined to bust a cap in his azz for hitting the "we need more and better laws because we are not enforcing the ones we already have, and besides criminals just might obey it if we come up with the right one" campaign trail.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/father-slain-reporter-alison-parker-gun-article-1.2341114

The father of slain television reporter Alison Parker, after taking aim at the gun lobby, now worries he might need a gun of his own.

Andy Parker acknowledged he might exercise his right to bear arms after unleashing yet another withering attack Friday on the National Rifle Association and timid politicians.

“I don’t own a gun,” Parker told reporters outside the Roanoke television station where his daughter Alison worked.

“We don’t have a gun in our family. I’m probably going to have to get one. I mean, sad to say, but I — unfortunately, that’s the world we live in.”

OK, it's not all gun owners - just the NRA. I should have figured that out by myself.

It looks like some of the MSM dropped a word in their quoting of Mr. Parker:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ting-lone-survivor-reveals-terrifying-details

Yet, Parker said that he is “probably going to have to get a gun” because of the culture in the United States.

“When you’re in the media, as you know, and when you are taking on an issue like this, there are a lot of people who take exception to what you are saying, so I will probably have to do that,” Parker said.

He does not currently own a gun, but said: “I don’t want to take any chances.”

So glad to hear that the latest man who wants to control firearms thinks he is special enough to need one for himself. Too bad he did not try to crowd-source the money necessary to buy armed guards like all the really big people do. Speaking of which, why is Bloomberg not financing Mr. Parker's personal protection team?

stay safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Mr. Parker stated:

Andy Parker acknowledged he might exercise his right to bear arms after unleashing yet another withering attack Friday on the National Rifle Association and timid politicians.

Who would be coming after him? Why, those wild-eyed shoot first and ask questions later folks in the NRA.

stay ssafe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
To add to the story -

Mr Parker claims to be a grieving father and I am sure he is; however.......

Our governor has announced that Mr Parker wants to be the Joe Walsh of gun control. Interesting that in 2007 Mr. Parker ran for House of Delgates and was already for gun control - McAwful and Parker both forgot to mention their political connection and that the agenda already existed. Parker kicks that campaign into gear before his daughter is even buried.
http://vote-va.org/Intro.aspx?State=VA&Id=VAParkerGAndy

Much respect lost.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Have to wonder whether Mr. Parker will OC his gun when being interviewed and when in the GAB?

OTOH - A grieving father, a man angry about political issues, desires to control others but is thwarted, wants to buy a gun because people might be out to get him. Is that a recipe for disaster? Does he have anger management issues?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Have to wonder whether Mr. Parker will OC his gun when being interviewed and when in the GAB?

OTOH - A grieving father, a man angry about political issues, desires to control others but is thwarted, wants to buy a gun because people might be out to get him. Is that a recipe for disaster? Does he have anger management issues?

Are you saying he may be more like the murderer than he would like to think?

stay safe.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Are you saying he may be more like the murderer than he would like to think?

stay safe.
Yes, that is what he is saying.

Define mental health issues? The way I see it it's the crazies in power trying to control the crazies out of power. We are all crazy, but to what extent?

Dario

"I don't own a gun. We don't have a gun in our family," Parker said. "I'm probably going to have to get one. Sad to say, but I -- unfortunately, that's just the world we live in."

Aaand he loses any last shred of credibility he may have had, right there.

I wonder if he will call a NRA certified instructor teach him gun safety :rolleyes:

HPmatt

Acceptinng reality or outright hypocracy?

So by Mr Parker's gun control logic - in his present state of mind he should be prohibited from buying a gun until he is deemed to be of sound mind. Having run as a democrat candidate should permanently keep him from owning a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"I'm telling you, they messed with the wrong family."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/30/politics/andy-parker-virginia-shooting-gun-control/

In grief and anger, Parker told Tapper that he's committed to making sure that more is done legislatively concerning guns in America.

"I'm telling you, they messed with the wrong family," Parker said.

1 - who is the "they" that messed with his family?
2 - just how did "they" mess with his family?

"This person, to me, he doesn't even register," Andy Parker said Sunday of Flanagan. "What registers is he was mentally disturbed and he was allowed to pass a background check."

Parker said he's communicated with several influential gun control advocates and plans to get involved in pushing "sensible gun control legislation."

He said he'll become an advocate for gun control, saying he's been in contact with Mark Kelly, the astronaut husband of former Rep. Gabby Giffords, who was targeted by a shooter, as well as representatives for former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a gun control supporter.

"I'm going to be working on this for a long time. I know that this is not a sprint, it's a marathon," he said, adding that he'd work on the issue with Chris Hurst, Parker's boyfriend and an employee of the same Virginia television station.

Parker said he and Hurst want to "put this thing together and make a difference and speak as one voice and hold the politicians' feet to the fire."

Aha! So the murderer was mentally disturbed. But how come he was "allowed" to pass a background check? Could it be because as mentally disturbed as he may have been he was not a disqualified person? And whose fault was that? Multiple terminations from various jobs all due to essentially the same factor - paranoid or narcissistic personality (take your pick) that nobody ever forced the issue on. Anger control incidents (not just his road rage one) that even the courts let slide.

He pointed to a California measure that allows law enforcement and relatives to request a gun owner's firearms be taken away if they feel the person is mentally ill.

Parker said a similar law in Virginia "probably would have prevented this from happening."

See my comment above. Just who was going to address the murderer's mental health if not those that had come in direct contact with and had to deal with him and his behavior? And how would something like that Calif. law work if a) nobody knew before the event that he had a gun that needed to be taken away, and b) there were no relatives "nearby" to start such an action?

"It is a mental health issue," Parker said. "But there's a linkage there between guns and mental health. And there's got to be some kind of protocol established so that we keep people from getting guns."

Would he be saying the same thing about cars if the murderer had waited till the interview was over and then run those folks down in the parking lot as they returned to their vehicles? Would he be saying the same thing about hammers if the murderer had used one to cave in their skulls? Or what about cheap fake Japanese samurai swords if the murderer had tried to dice them to bits?

No!

It's always "crazy people = guns, and guns = crazy people".

What does the DSM-IV have to say about people who are fixated on delusional thoughts or ideations? Is that sort of behavior cataloged as a mental illness?

https://www.dnalc.org/view/899-DSM-IV-Criteria-for-Schizophrenia.html

Description:
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders fourth edition (DSM-IV) diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia and associated disorders.

DSM-IV-TR: Diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia: A. Characteristic symptoms: Two (or more) of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a 1-month period (or less if successfully treated): (1) delusions [check*] (2) hallucinations [[check**] (3) disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence (4) grossly disorganized or catatonic behaviour (5) negative symptoms, i.e., affective flattening, alogia (poverty of speech), or avolition (lack of motivation) Note: Only one Criterion A symptom is required if delusions are bizarre or hallucinations consist of a voice keeping up a running commentary on the person's behavior or thoughts, or two or more voices conversing with each other. B. Social/occupational dysfunction: For a significant portion of the time since the onset of the disturbance, one or more major areas of functioning such as work, interpersonal relations [check], or self-care are markedly below the level achieved prior to the onset (or when the onset is in childhood or adolescence, failure to achieve expected level of interpersonal, academic, or occupational achievement). C. Duration: Continuous signs of the disturbance persist for at least 6 months. This 6-month period must include at least 1 month of symptoms (or less if successfully treated) that meet Criterion A (i.e., active-phase symptoms) and may include periods of prodromal (symptomatic of the onset) or residual symptoms. During these prodromal or residual periods, the signs of the disturbance may be manifested by only negative symptoms or two or more symptoms listed in Criterion A present in an attenuated form (e.g., odd beliefs [check], unusual perceptual experiences). D. Schizoaffective and Mood Disorder exclusion: Schizoaffective Disorder and Mood Disorder With Psychotic Features have been ruled out because either (1) no Major Depressive Episode, Manic Episode, or Mixed Episode have occurred concurrently with the active-phase symptoms; or (2) if mood episodes have occurred during active-phase symptoms, their total duration has been brief relative to the duration of the active and residual periods. E. Substance/general medical condition exclusion: The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition. F. Relationship to a Pervasive Developmental Disorder: If there is a history of Autistic Disorder or another Pervasive Developmental Disorder, the additional diagnosis of Schizophrenia is made only if prominent delusions or hallucinations are also present for at least a month (or less if successfully treated). Subtypes Schizophrenia Subtypes: The subtypes of schizophrenia are defined by the predominant symptomatology at the time of evaluation. Because of the limited value of the schizophrenia subtypes in clinical and research settings (e.g. prediction of course, treatment response, correlates of illness), alternative subtypes are being actively investigates. Subtypes include 1. Paranoid Type 2. Disorganized Type 3. Catatonic Type 4. Undifferentiated Type 5. Residual Type Schizophreniform disorder, schizoaffective disorder, and delusional disorder are closely related to schizophrenia and their symptoms are also listed below. In addition symptoms are listed for the following related disorders: brief psychotic disorder, shared psychotic disorder, psychotic disorder due to a general medical condition, substance-induced psychotic disorder, and psychotic disorder not otherwise specified. 1. Paranoid Type A type of Schizophrenia in which the following criteria are met: A. Preoccupation with one or more delusions [check] or frequent auditory hallucinations. B. None of the following is prominent: disorganized speech, disorganized or catatonic behavior, or flat or inappropriate affect. 2. Disorganized Type A type of Schizophrenia in which the following criteria are met: A. All of the following are prominent: (1) disorganized speech (2) disorganized behaviour (3) flat or inappropriate affect B. The criteria are not met for Catatonic Type. 3. Catatonic Type A type of Schizophrenia in which the clinical picture is dominated by at least two of the following: (1) motoric immobility as evidenced by catalepsy (including waxy flexibility) or stupor (2) excessive motor activity (that is apparently purposeless and not influenced by external stimuli) (3) extreme negativism (an apparently motiveless resistance to all instructions or maintenance of a rigid posture against attempts to be moved) or mutism (4) peculiarities of voluntary movement as evidenced by posturing (voluntary assumption of inappropriate or bizarre postures) (5) stereotyped movements, prominent mannerisms, or prominent grimacing (6) echolalia (word repetition) or echopraxia (repetitive imitation) 4. Undifferentiated Type A type of Schizophrenia in which symptoms that meet Criterion A are present, but the criteria are not met for the Paranoid, Disorganized, or Catatonic Type. 5. Residual Type A type of Schizophrenia in which the following criteria are met: A. Absence of prominent delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech, and grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior. B. There is continuing evidence of the disturbance, as indicated by the presence of negative symptoms or two or more symptoms listed in Criterion A for Schizophrenia, present in an attenuated form (e.g., odd beliefs, unusual perceptual experiences). Diagnostic criteria for Schizophreniform Disorder: A. Criteria A, D, and E of Schizophrenia are met. B. An episode of the disorder (including prodromal, active, and residual phases) lasts at least 1 month but less than 6 months. (When the diagnosis must be made without waiting for recovery, it should be qualified as "Provisional.") Specify if: Without Good Prognostic Features With Good Prognostic Features: as evidenced by two (or more) of the following: (1) onset of prominent psychotic symptoms within 4 weeks of the first noticeable change in usual behavior or functioning (2) confusion or perplexity at the height of the psychotic episode (3) good premorbid social and occupational functioning (4) absence of blunted or flat affect Diagnostic criteria for Schizoaffective Disorder: A. An uninterrupted period of illness during which, at some time, there is either a Major Depressive Episode, a Manic Episode, or a Mixed Episode concurrent with symptoms that meet Criterion A for Schizophrenia. Note: The Major Depressive Episode must include Criterion A1: depressed mood. B. During the same period of illness, there have been delusions or hallucinations for at least 2 weeks in the absence of prominent mood symptoms. C. Symptoms that meet criteria for a mood episode are present for a substantial portion of the total duration of the active and residual periods of the illness. D. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition. Specify type: Bipolar Type: if the disturbance includes a Manic or a Mixed Episode (or a Manic or a Mixed Episode and Major Depressive Episodes) Depressive Type: if the disturbance only includes Major Depressive Episodes Diagnostic criteria for Delusional Disorder: A. Nonbizarre delusions (i.e., involving situations that occur in real life, such as being followed, poisoned, infected, loved at a distance, or deceived by spouse or lover, or having a disease) of at least 1 month's duration. B. Criterion A for Schizophrenia has never been met. Note: Tactile and olfactory hallucinations may be present in Delusional Disorder if they are related to the delusional theme. C. Apart from the impact of the delusion(s) or its ramifications, functioning is not markedly impaired and behavior is not obviously odd or bizarre [check]. D. If mood episodes have occurred concurrently with delusions, their total duration has been brief relative to the duration of the delusional periods. E. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition. Specify type (the following types are assigned based on the predominant delusional theme): Erotomanic Type: delusions that another person, usually of higher status, is in love with the individual Grandiose Type: delusions of inflated worth, power, knowledge, identity, or special relationship to a deity or famous person Jealous Type: delusions that the individual's sexual partner is unfaithful Persecutory Type: delusions that the person (or someone to whom the person is close) is being malevolently treated in some way [check]. Somatic Type: delusions that the person has some physical defect or general medical condition Mixed Type: delusions characteristic of more than one of the above types but no one theme predominates Unspecified Type Diagnostic criteria for Brief Psychotic Disorder: A. Presence of one (or more) of the following symptoms: (1) delusions (2) hallucinations (3) disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence) (4) grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior Note: Do not include a symptom if it is a culturally sanctioned response pattern. B. Duration of an episode of the disturbance is at least 1 day but less than 1 month, with eventual full return to premorbid level of functioning. C. The disturbance is not better accounted for by a Mood Disorder With Psychotic Features, Schizoaffective Disorder, or Schizophrenia and is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition. Specify if: With Marked Stressor(s) (brief reactive psychosis): if symptoms occur shortly after and apparently in response to events that, singly or together, would be markedly stressful to almost anyone in similar circumstances in the person's culture Without Marked Stressor(s): if psychotic symptoms do not occur shortly after, or are not apparently in response to events that, singly or together, would be markedly stressful to almost anyone in similar circumstances in the person's culture With Postpartum Onset: if onset within 4 weeks postpartum Diagnostic criteria for Shared Psychotic Disorder (Folie à Deux): A. A delusion develops in an individual in the context of a close relationship with another person(s), who has an already-established delusion. B. The delusion is similar in content to that of the person who already has the established delusion [check]. C. The disturbance is not better accounted for by another Psychotic Disorder (e.g., Schizophrenia) or a Mood Disorder With Psychotic Features and is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition. Diagnostic criteria for Psychotic Disorder Due to a General Medical Condition: A. Prominent hallucinations or delusions. B. There is evidence from the history, physical examination, or laboratory findings that the disturbance is the direct physiological consequence of a general medical condition. C. The disturbance is not better accounted for by another mental disorder. D. The disturbance does not occur exclusively during the course of a Delirium. Code based on predominant symptom: - With Delusions: if delusions are the predominant symptom - With Hallucinations: if hallucinations are the predominant symptom Diagnostic criteria for Substance-Induced Psychotic Disorder: A. Prominent hallucinations or delusions. Note: Do not include hallucinations if the person has insight that they are substance induced. B. There is evidence from the history, physical examination, or laboratory findings of either (1) or (2): (1) the symptoms in Criterion A developed during, or within a month of, Substance Intoxication or Withdrawal (2) medication use is etiologically related to the disturbance C. The disturbance is not better accounted for by a Psychotic Disorder that is not substance induced. Evidence that the symptoms are better accounted for by a Psychotic Disorder that is not substance induced might include the following: the symptoms precede the onset of the substance use (or medication use); the symptoms persist for a substantial period of time (e.g., about a month) after the cessation of acute withdrawal or severe intoxication, or are substantially in excess of what would be expected given the type or amount of the substance used or the duration of use; or there is other evidence that suggests the existence of an independent non-substance-induced Psychotic Disorder (e.g., a history of recurrent non-substance-related episodes). D. The disturbance does not occur exclusively during the course of a delirium. Note: This diagnosis should be made instead of a diagnosis of Substance Intoxication or Substance Withdrawal only when the symptoms are in excess of those usually associated with the intoxication or withdrawal syndrome and when the symptoms are sufficiently severe to warrant independent clinical attention. Diagnostic Criteria for Psychotic Disorder Not Otherwise Specified: This category includes psychotic symptomatology (i.e., delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech, grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior) about which there is inadequate information to make a specific diagnosis or about which there is contradictory information, or disorders with psychotic symptoms that do not meet the criteria for any specific Psychotic Disorder. Examples include: 1. Postpartum psychosis that does not meet criteria for Mood Disorder With Psychotic Features, Brief Psychotic Disorder, Psychotic Disorder Due to a General Medical Condition, or Substance-Induced Psychotic Disorder 2. Psychotic symptoms that have lasted for less than 1 month but that have not yet remitted, so that the criteria for Brief Psychotic Disorder are not met 3. Persistent auditory hallucinations in the absence of any other features 4. Persistent nonbizarre delusions with periods of overlapping mood episodes that have been present for a substantial portion of the delusional disturbance 5. Situations in which the clinician has concluded that some type of psychotic disorder may be present, but is unable to determine whether it is primary, due to a general medical condition, or substance induced.

I am no longer licensed to express an opinion that someone is or is not, does or does not, meet the criteria for a diagnosis of mental illness. However, my education, training, and experience do allow me to suggest that a person might be found to meet the required criteria upon examination by a mental health professional or MD licensed to make such diagnoses. That's the long, legalese way of saying if it walks like a duck ....

stay safe.

* - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusion
A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary. As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, or other effects of perception.

This would be the notion that guns are the be-all and end-all of the problem.

** - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucination
A hallucination is a perception in the absence of external stimulus that has qualities of real perception. Hallucinations are vivid, substantial, and are seen to be located in external objective space.

This would be perception that "they" are threatening his life (as opposed to the hallucination that certain persons are threatening his life - discussed earlier) - seeing in his mind the NRA members clutching their rifles in one hand and their Bibles in the other marching to come get him for speaking out about universal background checks.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't understand these people that don't own guns. How is one going to clean and oil their guns if they don't own any?

His kid had bigger issues than what type of gun he wanted to use. Much bigger. But the dad cannot come out and try to address these "politically incorrect" hot topics.

If I were him, I'd be more worried about people in other groups than us wacko-we gotta-be-all-psycho-gun-owners :D

hey, if we were all that which the liberals say we are, there would be no liberals left !

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't understand these people that don't own guns. How is one going to clean and oil their guns if they don't own any?

His kid had bigger issues than what type of gun he wanted to use. Much bigger. But the dad cannot come out and try to address these "politically incorrect" hot topics.

If I were him, I'd be more worried about people in other groups than us wacko-we gotta-be-all-psycho-gun-owners :D

hey, if we were all that which the liberals say we are, there would be no liberals left !

They are not "left", in their minds they are right.

Keep your head down. They shoot wildly from the hip.