• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Warbirds are coming to Chesterfield

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
As of the last time I was at the airport OC was not prohibited on the tarmac. I'm not sure how it might go if you go inside/ride one of the bombers as they are not, to my knowledge, commercial aviation.

IMHO this is not a place/event to die on the hill over OC but a good opportunity to do some normalizing of seeing LACs carrrying.

stay safe.

For clarification - this will be at the Chesterfield County Airport from Friday 10/16 THROUGH Sunday 10/18

http://www.chesterfield.gov/EventDetails.aspx?id=8590130836&dt=10/16/2015

Friday, October 16, 2015 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM

Chesterfield County Airport, 7511 Airfield Dr, Richmond, VA 23237

The national Wings of Freedom tour is returning to Chesterfield County Airport, Oct. 16-18, for an incredible World War II living-history event.

The planes include the world’s only Dual Control P-51C Mustang fighter, and B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator heavy bombers. Visitors can explore these beautifully restored WWII bombers inside and out, or even become a member of the crew in an unforgettable flight experience getting “stick time” in the greatest fighter aircraft of all time!

Friday, Oct. 16, 2-4:30 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 17, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 18, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Ken56

Some years back I took a ride in the B-24 and it was awesome. For anyone into war planes this is an opportunity to, at the very least, walk through these beautifully restored planes. They didn't have the P-51 operable when they were at my local airport but I would give my left ...uummmm..... arm to ride in that one. It give you a good perspective on the conditions endured and what those guys did back in the war. God bless them all.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If I must, I will OC an empty holster and empty mag case.

Want to attend this and want to be seen. Eating breakfast before or after is a plus.

Maybe breakfast should be moved up to 8:00 am for Sat. 10/17

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If I must, I will OC an empty holster and empty mag case.

Want to attend this and want to be seen. Eating breakfast before or after is a plus.

Maybe breakfast should be moved up to 8:00 am for Sat. 10/17

I have reminded The Ancient One that a) it's going to be cold until about 11 or 12 and b) he does not do well in the cold.

Saturday OC Breakfast probably at the usual hour. Location TBA in a separate thread.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I travel with a selection of coats, hats, and gloves........that is for indoor use, but I can adapt (multiple layers) if necessary for outside weather conditions.

Below 65 degrees requires some adjustment on my part. OTOH - I handle heat/high temp better that some person's present. :p

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I travel with a selection of coats, hats, and gloves........that is for indoor use, but I can adapt (multiple layers) if necessary for outside weather conditions.

Below 65 degrees requires some adjustment on my part. OTOH - I handle heat/high temp better that some person's present. :p

Just what present was that? I know it was not a red plastic rocket or a pony.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I've been rethinking my previous thoughts that EO#50 applies to the airport. It is clearly a part of the Chesterfield County Government and subject to preemption.

I'm not absolutely sure how TSA rules might apply as it is a General Aviation operation and not a Scheduled Commercial Aviation airport.

With reservation and hesitation my guess is that at least in/on the public access areas OC is still going to be OK (in spite of the desire/wish by TPTB that it were not). How it might work out on the runways/taxiways is still a question in my mind as some of them are going to be closed to flight operations for static displays.

I guess the way to find out is to go there and see what happens.

stay safe.

scouser

This is the P51 taking off on one of its flights (photo resolution has been greatly reduced to upload it here). To give an idea of "how" it took off, I was standing on the ground to take the photo and you're looking at the TOP of the plane

Mustang.jpg

The man on the far right of the next photo, 25 minutes after the photo was taken had been strapped in the rear seat of the P51 and was going for his ride. No idea who he was but he appeared old enough to have been a WW2 Vet. It took him a while to climb on the front of the wing (via the landing gear) and get in the seat, but the smile on his face as he was getting in was priceless to see

Mustang-2.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Did anyone OC?
Some unresolved question(s) about being inside the security fence (no signs about weapons) and on the tarmac.
Discretion and the desire to see and touch the aircraft put activism on a bit of a hold.

It was said that several CCd and one did transport a purdy 1911 on board the Flying Fortress - apparently it just felt appropriate :cool:

The Truth

I kept trying to, but my jacket kept falling over it.

stay safe.

:D

Some unresolved question(s) about being inside the security fence (no signs about weapons) and on the tarmac.
Discretion and the desire to see and touch the aircraft put activism on a bit of a hold.

It was said that several CCd and one did transport a purdy 1911 on board the Flying Fortress - apparently it just felt appropriate :cool:

Man, that's awesome!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

scouser

I really like this silhouette style photo that Scouser took.

[url]https://mail.verizon.com/webmail/driver?nimlet=download&fid=Warbirds&mid=3&disp=inline&partIndex=1%3A18508278-e640-9364-ec50-92ecea6b2465%40yahoo.com

[/URL]

To me it conveys the deep thoughts I had - trying to imagine the feelings, loyalties, and dedication to duty the men who flew in these bombers had. We can not afford to ever forget.

that link isn't working at the moment so I'll post the picture Grapeshot is talking about here

IMG_4858-copy.jpg

I don't think Grapeshot even knew I was taking that photo, I was down in the bowels of the bomb bay of the B17, rather poignant for me considering my maternal grandfather was one of the men who loaded bombs into RAF planes in the N African and subsequent campaigns during WW2

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
that link isn't working at the moment so I'll post the picture Grapeshot is talking about here
The link still works for me, but want a smaller version.

Actually that picture I was the one I was trying to post = the one at the ladder getting ready to climb on board. In the smaller size it resembles one of the old silhouette style pictures - kinda neat.

I did have it posted but it was HUGE! For some reason I could get it to reduce easily and so linked it.

Can you edit (make it smaller and keep it dark) and post it? I will send it around the world :)

Last edited:

scouser

have a few videos of the P51C Mustang if anyone is interested

they're a bit shakey, but I was watching the plane rather than watching the camera and also trying to keep an eye on a 5 year old, which meant making sure Skidmark didn't try to sell him

[video=youtube;G7FAT3uaOrw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FAT3uaOrw[/video]