• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a bill coming this year

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A bill coming this year.
This will prohibit shooting within 25 yards of a public road.
The purpose is to stop shooting down roads as we saw in the Harris video I posted a while back.
I'm in favor of this but is it going to be supported by the 2A community, or will they see it as an infringment????

FBrinson

A bill coming this year.
This will prohibit shooting within 25 yards of a public road.
The purpose is to stop shooting down roads as we saw in the Harris video I posted a while back.
I'm in favor of this but is it going to be supported by the 2A community, or will they see it as an infringment????

I'll support it as long as it is narrowly defined under the restraints of pertaining to hunting and not personal defense. Such as "while engaged in the act of hunting, running dogs, assisting a hunter,..", etc. Otherwise I can see some clown CA using it against a LAC when they use their firearm in a self defense situation in an area that happens to be close to a road.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll support it as long as it is narrowly defined under the restraints of pertaining to hunting and not personal defense. Such as "while engaged in the act of hunting, running dogs, assisting a hunter,..", etc. Otherwise I can see some clown CA using it against a LAC when they use their firearm in a self defense situation in an area that happens to be close to a road.

Good point!

scouser

isn't there already a law about shooting down roads in the manner shown in the video you posted?

wouldn't it make sense to enforce that law before making any others?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
isn't there already a law about shooting down roads in the manner shown in the video you posted?

wouldn't it make sense to enforce that law before making any others?

Depends on the county. Many of them they can hunt ditch to ditch and shoot down the shoulder.

FBrinson

Code:
§ 18.2-286 - If any person discharges a firearm, crossbow or bow and arrow in or across any road, or within the right-of-way thereof, or in a street of any city or town, he shall, for each offense, be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to firing ranges or shooting matches maintained, and supervised or approved, by law-enforcement officers and military personnel in performance of their lawful duties.

To Scouser's point, does this not cover shooting in, over, from roads?

I know counties are allowed to set their own firearm discharge ordinances, but would this state code cover the road issue. I would still support the proposed bill since it extends out to 25 yards. I hope that it would be at least a class 2 misdemeanor to put some more bite into the law.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Code:
§ 18.2-286 - If any person discharges a firearm, crossbow or bow and arrow in or across any road, or within the right-of-way thereof, or in a street of any city or town, he shall, for each offense, be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to firing ranges or shooting matches maintained, and supervised or approved, by law-enforcement officers and military personnel in performance of their lawful duties.

To Scouser's point, does this not cover shooting in, over, from roads?

I know counties are allowed to set their own firearm discharge ordinances, but would this state code cover the road issue. I would still support the proposed bill since it extends out to 25 yards. I hope that it would be at least a class 2 misdemeanor to put some more bite into the law.

It wouldn't but there is a statute preventing shooting down the road. Problem is no one admits they do it. Drive down the roads in any of the dog counties and you'll see caravans of trucks with hunters waiting for the deer to cross.
25 yards gives the game warden something to work with...otherwise he has to actually see them fire the shot.

2a4all

It wouldn't but there is a statute preventing shooting down the road. Problem is no one admits they do it. Drive down the roads in any of the dog counties and you'll see caravans of trucks with hunters waiting for the deer to cross.
25 yards gives the game warden something to work with...otherwise he has to actually see them fire the shot.
I agree with the restrictions that only apply the statute to hunting, but how does this wider exclusion zone help the game warden? If the game warden doesn't see the person fire the shot, how can the hunter be charged? Obviously not a hunter.

ChristCrusader

Without regard to direction?

I have trouble with zones that give no reference to direction of aim.
There are difficult situations where intending to shoot down range, from behind a structure, and in the opposite direction of the road, yet within the buffer zone thus prohibiting it is insane.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I agree with the restrictions that only apply the statute to hunting, but how does this wider exclusion zone help the game warden? If the game warden doesn't see the person fire the shot, how can the hunter be charged? Obviously not a hunter.

I think it'll need to be worded "no hunting within 25 yards of a public road".

The Wolfhound

Devil's advocate...

Say I am hunting a field, close to a road, facing away from the road, in no way endangering the road and I am in the wrong by being too close to the road. It would seem a possible distinction that could cause a problem. 25 yards seems a bit extreme for that situation. (note to all concerned: I keep a permit for varmint hunting but seldom hunt deer.) It is always difficult to legislate that which equates to "Don't be stupid with guns". There are far too many stupid people out there.

Whitney

Take a look at this one

Unlawful use of a loaded firearm.

This is how we deal with the same situation in Washington. This will address the semantics of "how far off the road is off the road".

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460
[h=4]RCW 77.15.460[/h][h=3]Loaded rifle or shotgun in vehicle — Unlawful use or possession — Unlawful use of a loaded firearm — Penalty.[/h]

(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle, as defined in RCW 46.04.320, or upon an off-road vehicle, as defined in RCW 46.04.365, if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle, or upon an off-road vehicle, except as allowed by department rule; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if:

(a) The person negligently discharges a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway; or

(b) The person discharges a firearm from within a moving motor vehicle or from upon a moving off-road vehicle.

(3) Unlawful possession of a loaded rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle or upon an off-road vehicle, and unlawful use of a loaded firearm are misdemeanors.

(4) This section does not apply if the person:

(a) Is a law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm and is on duty within the officer's respective jurisdiction;

(b) Possesses a disabled hunter's permit as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities; or

(c) Discharges the rifle or shotgun from upon a nonmoving motor vehicle, as long as the engine is turned off and the motor vehicle is not parked on or beside the maintained portion of a public road, except as authorized by the commission by rule. This subsection (4)(c) does not apply to off-road vehicles, which are unlawful to use for hunting under RCW 46.09.480, unless the person has a department permit issued under RCW 77.32.237.

(5) For purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a rifle or shotgun shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the rifle or shotgun.
[2014 c 48 § 18; 2012 c 176 § 28; 1999 c 258 § 7; 1998 c 190 § 28.]

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Say I am hunting a field, close to a road, facing away from the road, in no way endangering the road and I am in the wrong by being too close to the road. It would seem a possible distinction that could cause a problem. 25 yards seems a bit extreme for that situation. (note to all concerned: I keep a permit for varmint hunting but seldom hunt deer.) It is always difficult to legislate that which equates to "Don't be stupid with guns". There are far too many stupid people out there.

In what is not my usual style -

Suck it up, buttercup. It says 25 yards. It means 25 yards. It does not care which way your barrel is pointing.

You start nickle and dimeing this and before you know it there will be no law.

stay safe.

The Wolfhound

in that case....

I would prefer no law due to the potential for misuse. I was pointing out the potential. If we are going to be heavy handed (the usual Guberment method) then NO law beats BAD law. Count me opposed even though I support the intent of the law in question.

TFred

I have trouble with zones that give no reference to direction of aim.
There are difficult situations where intending to shoot down range, from behind a structure, and in the opposite direction of the road, yet within the buffer zone thus prohibiting it is insane.
Yes, this. It would seem that this bill would give free reign to all groundhogs and other pesky varmints to devour any crops that happen to be within 25 yards of a road. In the area where I grew up, the local farmer went around in his truck and was able to sneak up on groundhogs out in the fields - and save the soybeans! Add this 25 yard requirement, and they'll be eating the WHOLE crop.

TFred

paramedic70002

I really don't care if the old farts "truck hunt" as long as they don't shoot me or my car. Been that way around my house longer than I've been on the planet. Usually there are one or more Deputies and/or Troopers in the bunch.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Also, you get into the whole mess of things like, being 26 yards from the road is enough to cause reasonable suspicion, because, ya know, it can be hard to tell whether the hunter was 73' from the road or 78' from the road. So the deputy or warden now seizes you temporarily wile he gets out his 75' tape measure. Or, "Oh! Those are not your tracks coming within 24 yards of the road while you skirted that marshy spot?"

Its pretty easy to tell if a fella is between the ditch and the road. Twenty five yards, not so much.

Count me opposed. I don't hunt, but there's no way I'd wish opening those cans of worms on hunters.

Last edited:

conhntr

How many acres would be off limits to hunting if you ban hunting on 25 yards of each side of every road in the state.

Public right of way sure, my private property?

Same old slippery slope as all gun control. 25 yards from road, 200 yards from a residence. Soon it will be 25 yards from any property lines etc etc untill you cant hunt on anything under 100 acres.

Firearms Iinstuctor

We have a similar law in wis. only it is 50 foot from the center line When you own property along some of the smaller rural town gravel or dirt roads it can be a problem.

Be very careful what you wish for

I know of people cited for walking down the road for simply saying they were hunting when in all reality they were walking from one hunting spot to another.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
We have a similar law in wis. only it is 50 foot from the center line When you own property along some of the smaller rural town gravel or dirt roads it can be a problem.

Be very careful what you wish for

I know of people cited for walking down the road for simply saying they were hunting when in all reality they were walking from one hunting spot to another.

Add this to the list in my post above. Thanks for chipping in experience, FI.

Last edited: