• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what exactly is acceptable for open carry?

ps1996

I was wondering if I had an in the waist holster, would I be able to have my shirt tucked behind what is still showing. I don't really know how to explain it but would that still be considered open carry? It is still visible. I just like the way it fits snug with the holster in the waist.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
ps1996,

Yes, as long as it's visible. Most of us use holsters that are on the OUTSIDE of the belt (OWB = OutsideWaistBand)...if for no other reason it's just more comfortable, as IWB (InsideWaistBand) holsters -- which are usually meant for CC -- aren't so much comfort-wise. But if a IWB holster is good for you, then go with it.

If you are new to OCing though, you may want to get a good "OC holster" to add to your collection and reserve the IWB holster you already have for CCing only. Try an OC holster and see if it's more comfortable. And if you can access your gun faster/more easily.

If you ALSO get a Colorado CC permit, then it doesn't matter if your shirt/jacket sometimes covers your gun or not: With the CC permit, you're "covered" either way re: being legal. All the OCers I have met here in CO also have CC permits...one guy has 4-5 of them for other states, too! We just never use our CC permits HERE in CO since we almost always OC.*

[See this OCDO thread for a FREE CC class: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Offering-free-Colorado-Conceal-Carry-classes]

As for me, I ONLY carry OC, never CC here in CO.

[Besides, I can't FIND my CC holster: Last time I saw it was back in Galveston when I was moving (May 2013), so it must be in a box somewhere -- hate to buy a new one!]

I don't know what county you're in, but you might want to go and apply for a CC permit so you'll have it just in case you need it.

Also, a CC permit helps if you visit another state that does not allow OC...if they recognize CO's CC permit (reciprocity) then you can CC there. This works for me when I visit Texas. As for NM, it's business as usual so I OC there exclusively...but in case I DO need to CC in NM, I DO have my CO CC permit with me.

Good luck...

* we only have "D&E" (Desensitize & Educate) going on out there if we OC...if one CCs, since no one (the public) sees the gun, there is no D&E possible.

Consequently, only OCers can D&E...so we need LOTS MORE people OCing!

Last edited:

JonStore

If you have no CHP then just ensure weapon is visible. Personally I don't want to be worried about what ifs when it comes to that and I live near Denver, so I elected to obtain a CHP. CHP offers some limited allowance for gun free school zones (don't carry on the real property, must lock it up). From what I understand I can't openly carry in Denver.

While I believe and support the lawful open carry of firearms, the CHP allows some more flexibility. This however, is a personal decision for you.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have a friend, here in Wa State, who carries a 1911 in an IWB holster. Most of it is visible, hence OC. Try an OWB holster for a while, your pants will fit better.

And.....Welcome to OCDO.

Last edited:

jackrockblc

All good info. Just remember that Denver covers A LOT of ground, so you'd either need to leave the firearm in a vehicle or get a CHP for any time you even come close to the city.

I have mine, because I spend a good deal of time in Denver and at school, both places I need to conceal anyway.

solus

All good info. Just remember that Denver covers A LOT of ground, so you'd either need to leave the firearm in a vehicle or get a CHP for any time you even come close to the city.

I have mine, because I spend a good deal of time in Denver and at school, both places I need to conceal anyway.

county of DENVER.

ipse

Beau

I believe Denver's ban applies to all Denver owned property as well. These areas may not be in the city or county.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

kcgunfan

I believe Denver's ban applies to all Denver owned property as well. These areas may not be in the city or county.

That literally makes no sense. How can a city have jurisdiction outside of city limits?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mobiushky

county of DENVER.

ipse

If sarcasm, ignore. If not, this is spoken like someone who doesn't live in Denver.

Denver City = Denver County = Denver City. One and the same. City limits = County limits. Many people from Colorado actually go so far as to call it the City and County of Denver. The statement about being close to the city is valid.

solus

If sarcasm, ignore. If not, this is spoken like someone who doesn't live in Denver.

Denver City = Denver County = Denver City. One and the same. City limits = County limits. Many people from Colorado actually go so far as to call it the City and County of Denver. The statement about being close to the city is valid.

careful what you might presume...the preceding posters (fm 'colorado, CoS) kept referencing 'city of' and jack, (fm jefferson city) specifically stated "... for any time you even come close to the city."

and the initial poster appeared to lack formal knowledge so i wanted to ensure they understood it wasn't the 'city of' per se, but rather 'DENVER County' is where you may not OC.

ipse

mobiushky

careful what you might presume...the preceding posters (fm 'colorado, CoS) kept referencing 'city of' and jack, (fm jefferson city) specifically stated "... for any time you even come close to the city."

and the initial poster appeared to lack formal knowledge so i wanted to ensure they understood it wasn't the 'city of' per se, but rather 'DENVER County' is where you may not OC.

ipse

Well, Jack is actually from Jefferson County. Which is at least partially connected to the City and County of Denver on the West side. In fact, the eastern border of Jefferson County is the western border of city and county of Denver. People from outside Colorado may even assume, depending on where Jack happens to live, that he is in the City and County of Denver. Like say Lakewood or Wheat Ridge. Which are part of the metropolis, but not part of the City and County of Denver.

Also, you are still missing the point. There is no "DENVER county" per se. There is the City and County of Denver as one entity. There is no separation between the two. What Jack was referring to is the potential to be in what you believe is Lakewood when you happen to cross a street and unknowingly cross the border into the City and County of Denver. For instance, if you happen to be in Lakewood. You're walking North on Sheridan, but you're on the West side of the road. As you walk you pass 10th, still walking North, you look at the nice gas station to the left and the parking garage next door. And continue on your merry way. Unless you KNOW the border lines, you may be in trouble. See, the City and County of Denver limit juts West from Sheridan to Ames St, but only between 10th and 11th. South of 10th and North of 11th, it's Lakewood. The point he's making is that while you are meandering near the city limits, it's smart to treat it like you're in the City and County of Denver because you might accidentally cross the line without even knowing it.

solus

well, seems there is a county per se tho governmental entries were combined in 1902, but distinct county bodies such as the separate COUNTY court exists. additionally, by Colorado constitution the city and county of denver are designated as home rule entities.

the term to show the metropolis of city and county of Denver and surrounding metropolises, e.g., lakewood, aurora, arvada, etc., is called a megalopolis.

ipse

jackrockblc

Well, Jack is actually from Jefferson County. Which is at least partially connected to the City and County of Denver on the West side. In fact, the eastern border of Jefferson County is the western border of city and county of Denver. People from outside Colorado may even assume, depending on where Jack happens to live, that he is in the City and County of Denver. Like say Lakewood or Wheat Ridge. Which are part of the metropolis, but not part of the City and County of Denver.

Yup. In fact, I live in Lakewood. And mobiushky's explanation is quite correct in why I used the words "close to". There have been a few times I've thought I was not inside of Denver, when I found out I was (I was concealing anyway, due to some overly nervous in-laws we were visiting). But yes, even I - who was born in Aurora - can easily miss where one county/city stops and Denver starts.

If it wasn't for the fact that I was so close to Denver on a regular basis, I wouldn't have bothered with my CHP at all.

mobiushky

well, seems there is a county per se tho governmental entries were combined in 1902, but distinct county bodies such as the separate COUNTY court exists. additionally, by Colorado constitution the city and county of denver are designated as home rule entities.

the term to show the metropolis of city and county of Denver and surrounding metropolises, e.g., lakewood, aurora, arvada, etc., is called a megalopolis.

ipse

Simple, oh yeah, I see now I was wrong would'a done better.

mobiushky

Isn't Gross reservoir Denver owned and controlled also?

I know it's managed by Denver water. And they have this in their regs:

"-Firearms, fireworks or any projectile weapons of any kind are prohibited. Discharging of firearms is prohibited."

Last edited: