• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Showing ID to police

Jeff Hayes

Alex, if Officer Friendly stops you, it's not because he's interested in you doing 'a thing' legally. He's stopping you because he thinks you did something illegal. He's conducting an investigation to justify his detainment of you.
If your answers don't provide a basis for probable cause and the officer is somehow sure you must be in violation of some law he thinks he remembers, or that one of his coworkers told him was illegal, all it means is that he's not asking the right questions. It means he thinks he needs more answers from you until he latches onto one that gives him either probable cause or a lead in establishing probable cause. You cannot make yourself more innocent by cooperation.

Officer Friendly is just looking to do his job
Officer Friendly is just looking for suspicious conduct
Officer Friendly is just looking for probable cause to make an arrest
Officer Friendly is just looking to put a criminal in jail
Officer Friendly is looking at you

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Alex, if Officer Friendly stops you, it's not because he's interested in you doing 'a thing' legally. He's stopping you because he thinks you did something illegal. He's conducting an investigation to justify his detainment of you.
If your answers don't provide a basis for probable cause and the officer is somehow sure you must be in violation of some law he thinks he remembers, or that one of his coworkers told him was illegal, all it means is that he's not asking the right questions. It means he thinks he needs more answers from you until he latches onto one that gives him either probable cause or a lead in establishing probable cause. You cannot make yourself more innocent by cooperation.

Officer Friendly is just looking to do his job
Officer Friendly is just looking for suspicious conduct
Officer Friendly is just looking for probable cause to make an arrest
Officer Friendly is just looking to put a criminal in jail
Officer Friendly is looking at you

OMG! I hadn't even thought of that angle! "Reasonable mistake of law" the courts now call it--ever since Heien in (North Carolina?) Cop gets off the hook for a "reasonable mistake of law"; you get to pay attorneys fee's, lost salary, and so forth. Christ!! Not only do you have to watch out for ways your words could be used to imply breaking an actual law, you gotta watch out for ways your words could be twisted to imply breaking a law the cop mis-remembers or was wrongly told by a colleague!

Hey, wasn't there a case several years ago out of Georgia or something, where a cop jacked up an OCer, but the cop had only recently moved to that state, and misapplied the law of his former state to the new state? I think the courts ruled in the cop's favor saying it was not unreasonable to make that mistake??

Oh, brother. My mouth is now double-compound-triple-welded shut if approached by a cop:

Cop: "What are you up to?"

Citizen: No offense, officer. I know you're just doing your job, but Iain'tgotnuthin'tosaywithoutmyattorney. And, Idon'tconsenttoanencounterwithyou. AmIfreetogo?

Many thanks to Jeff Hayes for quoting Fall's earlier post just above. Somehow I missed it the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Fallschirmjäger is a title or an epithet. Fall is about the same as in English. Schirm is a light fabric, and Jäger is hunter. So Fallschirmjäger is paratrooper or parachutist.

Oh, cool!! This I didn't know. All this time he and I have been members, I never knew. Thanks! A German paratrooper or parachutist. Excellent.

I've never jumped out of a perfectly good airplane. :p:) But, I kinda gotta admire guys who do.

Fallschirjmäger

There's no such thing as a 'perfectly good airplane'; the number of man-hours spent maintaining one versus the number of flight hours practically guarantees that by 15 minutes into any flight there's at least one thing that's gone out of adjustment. Y'all ain't never lived until you've seen an Air Force Loadmaster rivet things back in place on a C-123 while it's still in flight :shocker:

Strykerandmecirca1990.jpg

From a long time ago back when I wore a younger man's clothes.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Fallschirmjäger ... that's one ugly girlfriend .... did you keep tabs on the tail numbers of your aircraft? The ones I was involved with -- most of them crashed (being from the 50's and still be operated today its no surprise).

The C-123s ... newer aircraft ; some of mine I guess are still in service today ...

I caught a few hops on the 123's ... nice comfortable rides ..

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There's no such thing as a 'perfectly good airplane'; the number of man-hours spent maintaining one versus the number of flight hours practically guarantees that by 15 minutes into any flight there's at least one thing that's gone out of adjustment. Y'all ain't never lived until you've seen an Air Force Loadmaster rivet things back in place on a C-123 while it's still in flight :shocker:

Strykerandmecirca1990.jpg

From a long time ago back when I wore a younger man's clothes.
Very capable looking young man......you too.

solus

snip... Y'all ain't never lived until you've seen an Air Force Loadmaster rivet things back in place on a C-123 while it's still in flight :shocker:

and folk still wonder about the need for the men and women in the U.S. Air Force...

ipse

Nang pa

Hi, in a lot of the open carry videos on YouTube I see people refusing to show their ID to police when asked. Is there a reason for this? I know in a lot of states you don't have to, but why wouldn't you? All it seems to do is create hostility which is the last thing you want. If you have no criminal record and you're legally able to own and carry a gun, why not just let them run a background check?
You answered your own question. YouTube. These drama queens are just trying to get views to their channel, and that's the only reason.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi, in a lot of the open carry videos on YouTube I see people refusing to show their ID to police when asked. Is there a reason for this? I know in a lot of states you don't have to, but why wouldn't you? All it seems to do is create hostility which is the last thing you want. If you have no criminal record and you're legally able to own and carry a gun, why not just let them run a background check?
Why would a fish bait the fisherman's hook?(rhetorical) If you have nothing to hide.........

OC for ME

The nature of drama queens forces them to find something to post about. If not guns they would carry swords or somesuch.
True, yet, where perfectly legal, the carry of swords & guns should not prompt a cop to provide a youtube opportunity for a drams queen. Walking around recording yourself not being approached by cops is not a film that will draw many youtube viewers.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
If cops did not approach LACs who are OCing then these "drama queens" would not have anything to post.
I heard that the drama queens are boycotting the Oscars.

The cops complain that these drama queens are just baiting them. Then Daaaa - don't take the bait. Of course when the cops bait the citizen they call it a sting operation.

Nang pa

True, yet, where perfectly legal, the carry of swords & guns should not prompt a cop to provide a youtube opportunity for a drams queen. Walking around recording yourself not being approached by cops is not a film that will draw many youtube viewers.
Fair enough.

WalkingWolf

You answered your own question. YouTube. These drama queens are just trying to get views to their channel, and that's the only reason.

There are a lot of members here who always record, as well as advocate recording. I guess since you insulted these members, including I, I guess you will not mind the return. IMO anybody who does not record while carrying might have an IQ lower than 50.

Yes youtube has changed things, many convictions, and prosecutions have been stopped or overturned. But maybe you prefer to play pick up the soap in the shower of the gray bar hotel, and not be a drama queen.

Sorry Grape but his post was a clear insult.