• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Showing ID to police

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
What investigative purpose does a date of birth support? Same with SSN. Unless, of course, age is a element of the crime being investigated.

This is where the cop can be placed in legal peril...record his words.
You are a number, you are chattel. In this country the government does not tattoo that number on your wrist.

bc.cruiser

Re "Stop and Identify States" of all that are listed in the Wikipedia article (who's codes I've also tracked down where available), none of them demand that a document be produced. The closest any state comes to that is - - -
INDIANA
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title34/ar28/ch5.html

NB There is at least one state that requires a driving license or other government identification be carried and presented when carrying with a concealed license, if I remember correctly.

And NC.

solus

Good thing that my state does not issue a DRIVER'S license.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

truly Freedom, then the good WA state legislature put section 46.20, specifically paragraph .001 into the state's statutes as a space filler?

further, to put paragraph 46.20.005 in the statutes to explain what the penalties are for WA residents failing to meet .001 provision is quite considerate of the legislature.

ipse

solus

found an interesting tidbit from several years back from an individual associated with the UNC school of gov and while the hypothethical event depicted concerns itself w/underage drinking, it addresses the topic at hand as well as a 'gottcha' i didn't consider:

quote: ...that he isn’t required to produce any identification. The officer’s immediate options are limited. The buyer is right that he isn’t required to produce identification. unquote.

a brief discussion of Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial Dist. Court of Nev., 542 U.S. 177 (2004) is included at this point.

quote: A clever officer, though, will take a slightly different approach. Rather than stop the buyer as he leaves the store, the officer will wait until the buyer enters his car and begins to drive away. Then the officer will then conduct a Terry stop. But because it is a vehicular stop, the officer can compel the buyer to produce his license under G.S. 20-29. unquote.

http://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/by-popular-demand/

the 'gottcha' is don't climb into your vehicle, at least in NC or you must produce DL.

ipse

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Rather than stop the buyer as he leaves the store, the officer will wait until the buyer enters his car and begins to drive away. Then the officer will then conduct a Terry stop. But because it is a vehicular stop, the officer can compel the buyer to produce his license under G.S. 20-29....

This is why truly bad guys have chauffeurs.

Elm Creek Smith

First, are you on FOOT or are you driving? I don't always have an ID when I'm on foot, do you? If not, then what? You're TEACHING the cops they can stop you on foot and get your ID.

Would you be OK if -I- stopped you and asked for your ID? I mean -I- want to know who I'm dealing with. What possible harm could come from it?

By the way the LEO doesn't JUST want to SEE your ID. He wants to hold it. THEN it become a problem for you because you CAN'T leave until you get it back.

HTH

As an Oklahoma resident, if you are legally carrying a gun, either openly or concealed, you must have in your possession: 1. Your state-issued driver's license or ID, and 2. Your state-issued handgun license.

solus

As an Oklahoma resident, if you are legally carrying a gun, either openly or concealed, you must have in your possession: 1. Your state-issued driver's license or ID, and 2. Your state-issued handgun license.

got a OK Statute you can cite that claim?

be interested in seeing those statutes.

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
NB There is at least one state that requires a driving license or other government identification be carried and presented when carrying with a concealed license, if I remember correctly.
Virginia requirements -

See section H:
"The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer."
https://vacode.org/18.2-308/

solus

Yeah, about that. I'm fairly sure that in Every Freakin' State of the Union you have to present a driving license when you're performing the licensed activity of driving.

as schooled as i believe i thought i was or am, to be candid that point never actually crossed my mind...

now where did i leave that dunce cap this time...

ipse

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
found an interesting tidbit from several years back from an individual associated with the UNC school of gov and while the hypothethical event depicted concerns itself w/underage drinking, it addresses the topic at hand as well as a 'gottcha' i didn't consider:

quote: ...that he isn’t required to produce any identification. The officer’s immediate options are limited. The buyer is right that he isn’t required to produce identification. unquote.

a brief discussion of Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial Dist. Court of Nev., 542 U.S. 177 (2004) is included at this point.

quote: A clever officer, though, will take a slightly different approach. Rather than stop the buyer as he leaves the store, the officer will wait until the buyer enters his car and begins to drive away. Then the officer will then conduct a Terry stop. But because it is a vehicular stop, the officer can compel the buyer to produce his license under G.S. 20-29. unquote.

http://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/by-popular-demand/

the 'gottcha' is don't climb into your vehicle, at least in NC or you must produce DL.

ipse
I think I could beat the rap.

When I was a kid dad would give me beer money and I'd walk up to the saloon with a gallon jug, that's a glass gallon jug, and get filled with tap beer and take it home. We being German if you wanted a beer you poured and drank a glass of beer. One of the Common Pleas court judges lived up the street. His son and I ran around together. They had a frig just for beer with no restrictions. Boy, has times changed.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think I could beat the rap.

When I was a kid dad would give me beer money and I'd walk up to the saloon with a gallon jug, that's a glass gallon jug, and get filled with tap beer and take it home. We being German if you wanted a beer you poured and drank a glass of beer. One of the Common Pleas court judges lived up the street. His son and I ran around together. They had a frig just for beer with no restrictions. Boy, has times changed.
Yes they have. :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Between typing with two fingers and drinking the beer thingss gould geet a a a alot worrest, werstest than present tense or past tents. you geeeet understand what im' Im' deeling with....
I does get the singular plurality of it all. :cool:

Fallschirjmäger

Is VA still one of the states that does not have a photo on the firearms license?

images

Still currently being issued?