• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your TX Open Carry experiences here!

solus

Haven't been on much due to all the flooding here in Bandera. Had to evacuate several times. Just now getting back to normal.

Had a bunch of bikers stay at the RV park a couple of nights. All were OC (apparently). I didn't see them...only heard about it after the fact. Pity coz I would've gone over to say hello had I known or spotted them.

Ian I finally responded your PM. Let's get something set up for San Antonio meet up and post it here in the events. :)

welcome back and one hopes minimal flood damage befell you and yours in the area.

ipse

Techman2012

Well I've been reading through these forums for several months now, and figured I should start contributing to them myself. I turned 21 last year and received my CHL back in August. Since January I have been OC'ing more and more as I grow more comfortable with it. I carry a Taurus PT1911 in a serpa retention holster, which I have found to be secure and easy to draw from after practicing at home (unloaded, of course!). Despite my initial apprehension of carrying my pistol openly, I have had nothing but positive experiences so far! I have carried in many of the usual places; Walmart, gas stations, etc, as well as when I take my dog for walks around the large city park. One gentleman sitting on a park bench complimented my choice of pistol during one of my outings, and I have had two people approach me while shopping to inquire how they could get their LTC, along with other general questions about the laws concerning concealed and open carry.

I want to thank everyone here for sharing their experiences and advice, as it was what made me want to try open carry and gave me the confidence to do so. I hope that I can continue to educate and inform people how they can exercise their right to protect themselves and their families and how to be responsible supporters of the 2nd Amendment!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to the Forum Techman2012.

Nice first post - sounds like you have it together.
icon14.png

MP(Retired)

Welcome to the Forum techman2012
Good to have another Texan onboard. Where are you located in the Republic? Hill country here...
Glad you are getting out there and carrying. Remember, carry ALL THE TIME....and watch your six.
<MP-Retired>

qednick

Well I've been reading through these forums for several months now, and figured I should start contributing to them myself. I turned 21 last year and received my CHL back in August. Since January I have been OC'ing more and more as I grow more comfortable with it. I carry a Taurus PT1911 in a serpa retention holster, which I have found to be secure and easy to draw from after practicing at home (unloaded, of course!). Despite my initial apprehension of carrying my pistol openly, I have had nothing but positive experiences so far! I have carried in many of the usual places; Walmart, gas stations, etc, as well as when I take my dog for walks around the large city park. One gentleman sitting on a park bench complimented my choice of pistol during one of my outings, and I have had two people approach me while shopping to inquire how they could get their LTC, along with other general questions about the laws concerning concealed and open carry.

I want to thank everyone here for sharing their experiences and advice, as it was what made me want to try open carry and gave me the confidence to do so. I hope that I can continue to educate and inform people how they can exercise their right to protect themselves and their families and how to be responsible supporters of the 2nd Amendment!

Welcome to the forum! I too have had nothing but compliments, high fives, and people jumping up and down with joy at seeing an OC'er. Not one negative comment or encounter yet--even in uber-liberal San Antonio.

Techman2012

Welcome to the Forum techman2012
Good to have another Texan onboard. Where are you located in the Republic? Hill country here...
Glad you are getting out there and carrying. Remember, carry ALL THE TIME....and watch your six.
<MP-Retired>

I'm located in Collin County. Thanks, and I'm making sure to carry everywhere I legally can!

oljames3

If I am vertical, I am almost always carrying. I carry openly where I can, conceal as the situation dictates, and disarm only if I must.

Yesterday, I donned a jacket as I entered a Simon mall. I untucked my shirt to cover my pistol as I entered HEB. Otherwise, I carried openly.

I've carried carried openly in AZ, CO, NM, OK, and now Texas. Since 2013, I've only encountered two even remotely negative persons.

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most.

Your mileage will vary. You must determine what works best for you. No one else has your understanding of your abilities, limitations, situation, and concerns.

Be safe and carry on.

O. Lee James, III
Captain, US Army Retired

Taypo

New Guy post

Hey all,

Been lurking for a while, just now got around to registering. Good group of folks from what I can tell, so thanks for having me.

I've had a CHL for a while and to be honest, I was initially resistant to the OC idea for a few (in retrospect, pretty damn dumb) reasons. New Years Day found me at Cabelas so I figured "Why Not?" and took off the jacket...

Six months later, I've gone almost exclusively OC. I'll still conceal if I'm going somewhere new for the first time, Costco or work. Other than that, its been out there for all to see.

As a result, Ive had a few interesting conversations with folks, all of the positive variety. Not a single bad experience...

Sadly, in the same time frame I've seen exactly two other people OC'ing - one at Academy in Garland and another at the Murphy Walmart.

I'm hoping that the warmer weather and the lack of blood in the streets will bring some more of us out of the woodwork.

MP(Retired)

Welcome to the forum Taypo and congrats on "coming out of the closet" :p
I OC/CC depending on the circumstances and atmosphere. Mostly OC.
Mostly positive statements or just pain "everybody in condition WHITE".
<MP-Retired>

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey all,

Been lurking for a while, just now got around to registering. Good group of folks from what I can tell, so thanks for having me.

I've had a CHL for a while and to be honest, I was initially resistant to the OC idea for a few (in retrospect, pretty damn dumb) reasons. New Years Day found me at Cabelas so I figured "Why Not?" and took off the jacket...

Six months later, I've gone almost exclusively OC. I'll still conceal if I'm going somewhere new for the first time, Costco or work. Other than that, its been out there for all to see.

As a result, Ive had a few interesting conversations with folks, all of the positive variety. Not a single bad experience...

Sadly, in the same time frame I've seen exactly two other people OC'ing - one at Academy in Garland and another at the Murphy Walmart.

I'm hoping that the warmer weather and the lack of blood in the streets will bring some more of us out of the woodwork.

Welcome to our world.

There is no question that those that OC are in the minority, but our numbers are growing and it wasn't that long ago that the practice wasn't legal in Texas. As a whole, we are still fighting government suppression.

There is a corollary here to be found in any given educational environment. The instructor/teacher ratio to potential students will always favor the students. If, repeat if, every living, breathing legal individual OCd, there would still be the need for educators to teach the children about their rights.

Taypo

Thanks guys.

The Condition White thing doesnt surprise me, unfortunately. Too busy with their phones to notice the world around them...

The wife is starting to OC more, but she's still got the jitters about it. She's still got the "everybody is looking at me" mentality, when in reality the only people who see it are the folks like us that are looking for other tribemembers LOL

qednick

Welcome to the forum Taypo! OC'ing is pretty liberating huh? Supporting the 2nd is nothing to be ashamed of and the more of us that do it, the more it becomes normalized.

Taypo

Welcome to the forum Taypo! OC'ing is pretty liberating huh? Supporting the 2nd is nothing to be ashamed of and the more of us that do it, the more it becomes normalized.

Thanks. Liberating is a good word. Especially with North Texas heat setting in - the less layers of clothing I need, the happier I get. Its a win all the way around.

HPmatt

OC'd today - had coat on in office this morning but too damn hot now - Frost Bank Hillcrest, Drip coffee - unlike last year where it was 'peculiar' wearing a leather duster (for legal reasons) while cc'ing. So nice Texas peeled back some of the 2A constraints...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stryker

My second unicorn was spotted this afternoon at the Walmart Neighborhood Market in Flower Mound! A gentleman, about 15 years my senior, accompanied by his wife were loading their trunk as I was arriving.

A very pleasant couple who admitted to normally opting for concealed carry. After my sharing how good it was to see an open carrier, his wife commented that she hadn't even noticed that he was carrying. I had to laugh at that one, as my wife suffers the same type of myopia.

She asked in return where was my gun. Another big smile as I turned to face my strong side to her. She then asked if I was excited about our new rights. I turned serious to reply that I hate having to ask permission to exercise a right, but that yes, it is a step in the right direction.

Anyways, I am really ecstatic to see another open carrier in the heart of suburbia. Hopefully my heartfelt excitement about his open carry will prompt him to tuck in his shirt more often.

Carry on!

-Mike

325rto

My second unicorn was spotted this afternoon at the Walmart Neighborhood Market in Flower Mound! A gentleman, about 15 years my senior, accompanied by his wife were loading their trunk as I was arriving.

A very pleasant couple who admitted to normally opting for concealed carry. After my sharing how good it was to see an open carrier, his wife commented that she hadn't even noticed that he was carrying. I had to laugh at that one, as my wife suffers the same type of myopia.

She asked in return where was my gun. Another big smile as I turned to face my strong side to her. She then asked if I was excited about our new rights. I turned serious to reply that I hate having to ask permission to exercise a right, but that yes, it is a step in the right direction.

Anyways, I am really ecstatic to see another open carrier in the heart of suburbia. Hopefully my heartfelt excitement about his open carry will prompt him to tuck in his shirt more often.

Carry on!

-Mike

My sister, her husband, and my two nieces live in that community. We are all transplanted form Massachusetts. They're not gun owners. I've been planting the seeds, but they haven't taken root yet. Maybe someday.

hovercat

OC today at Dallas Love Field. Was at the baggage claim area about 45 minutes waiting for the wife and daughter to arrive.
No issues.

stealthyeliminator

Couple of weeks ago OCed at a Mexican place with friends. Outside, on the sidewalk afterward, I was asked by another customers who left right after us what license was required to carry openly. I gave him the exact answer directly, and regretfully failed to add the "but I don't believe we should have to get a license to exercise our rights." I guess I was off my game a bit.