• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 746 for 2017

dmatting

You may or may not be aware of HB746 that is in comittee on Wednesday, May 31. This is the Constitutional Carry bill. While the changes incurred would mostly be centered around the removal of the CHP requirement, there are some things that would affect you as an OCer.

The most noteworthy (I am assuming) would be the restriction against carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. OC or CC would be legal unless posted. Also, OC in state parks would be ok as well. Basically, wherever you can OC, you can CC; wherever you can CC, you can OC. One exception would be educational property. If you carry in your car, the car must be locked and the gun must be concealed. It's basically the same provision for educational property carry as before except no CHP required.

A few downsides on the OC front. Signage against carrying on private property now carries the weight of law - not just trespassing anymore. Also, no alcohol in your system if you are carrying CC or OC.

If you CC you have to carry an ID and disclose to a cop if you are carrying. I didn't see the ID requirement for OC, which is good.

Anyway, let them know how you feel about this bill. It is in comittee on 5/31.

Link to bill: http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2017/Bills/House/HTML/H746v1.html

dmatting

This bill would also get rid of the Pistol Purchase Permit. Expect the sheriffs association to rail against it just for that.

dmatting

The judiciary committee changed a number of things to the bill. Here's the link to version 2: http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2017/Bills/House/HTML/H746v2.html

- The repeal of the PPP was removed

- The prohibition against having alcohol in your system still only applies to CC

- In order to lawfully have a gun in your car on educational property, the state capitol, executive mansion, western residence, and courthouses, you need to have a CHP.

- Cannot carry in law enforcement facilities

- Carrying in an establishment that sells and serves alcohol still requires a CHP

- They actually codified 'Going Armed to the Terror of the People'

- Dates for effectivity for some of the sections were moved to July 1

I guess the committee felt that you still need a CHP to do special things

WalkingWolf

(snip)I guess the committee felt that you still need a CHP to do special things

Of course, but even with the changes the Governor still will not sign it. Unless they have the votes to override it is dead.

Also if it makes it OC more difficult, or more likely to get charged with GATTTOP I just as soon he vetoed it. I can already OC in restaurants that serve alcohol, all I have to do is ask permission.

RadBanker

Assembly/Picket

So if I am reading this correctly, the current version of this bill would make all carry prohibited at an assembly or picket. In the present open carry is prohibited, but conceal carry is allowed.
Similar existing rules to this include a Mecklenburg County ordinance regarding county parks (open carry prohibited, concealed carry per NC conceal law allowed.)

So while on one hand I'm pretty excited by this, on the other I think it's actually a very subtle way to completely ban being armed in certain places. Thoughts?

dmatting

So if I am reading this correctly, the current version of this bill would make all carry prohibited at an assembly or picket. In the present open carry is prohibited, but conceal carry is allowed.
Similar existing rules to this include a Mecklenburg County ordinance regarding county parks (open carry prohibited, concealed carry per NC conceal law allowed.)

So while on one hand I'm pretty excited by this, on the other I think it's actually a very subtle way to completely ban being armed in certain places. Thoughts?

Unlicensed CC would almost be at the same level as OC is right now (I say almost cuz unlicensed CCers would still have to cough up an ID for the cops). That would include the same prohibitions that are placed on OC. For those that choose to buy the priveledge card, they lose nothing, and in fact gain a couple of small things. So, if you can carry somewhere with a chp, you would still be able to carry there with a chp if the bill passes.