• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer moving to Montana

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Suspenders are the answer.

I took to wearing them after I couldn't tighten my belt enough.

If it was tight enough it would cause lower back pain

If it was loose enough not to hurt it would not hold my pants and gun up.

So I am a belt and suspender type of guy now.
And those suspenders look good holding up your speedo at the community swimming pool.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Firearms Iinstuctor

Thanks. I'm now looking into some Dickies Industrial Strength Suspenders.

I didn't want to spend the 60 to 80 dollars on some of the better suspenders with trigger clips on them so I looked through my spare nylon straps laying around.

Four hours latter and a couple of redo's I have a great tough pair the are quickly become my favorites.

Now that I have the concept down I'll start checking the 2nd hand stores for the proper type of strapping to make a couple more refine pairs.

Besides time I have 7 dollars invested into them other pairs well take a lot less time to make.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Thank you for your comments Gentlemen. I have found that OC is pretty much ignored as is the carrying of weapons in general. A non-issue. I have finished moving into Philipsburg and we are settling in nicely. Been to Miss, been to Butte several times, no issues. Been carrying in my own bank without a comment. Thought it was legal until today.

Dayumm I just love this place.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Thank you for your comments Gentlemen. I have found that OC is pretty much ignored as is the carrying of weapons in general. A non-issue. I have finished moving into Philipsburg and we are settling in nicely. Been to Miss, been to Butte several times, no issues. Been carrying in my own bank without a comment. Thought it was legal until today.

Dayumm I just love this place.
What was legal until today??????

MontanaResident

Thought it was legal until today.

Did they say something? I've known, so have never been called out on it. I've carried where there were signs against, and have gotten stares from owners, but that is about it.

I've yet to see anybody carry in Missoula or south of there. Of course I only go to Walmart, Sportsman's Wearhouse, Home Depot before I retreat back to my wilderness habitat.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I have been going to my bank with a visible pistol on my hip. I just found out the law says that I cannot do that. Nobody at the bank said a thing. Am I wrong here?? Is carry in a bank legal?

Here's what I found on Handgunlaw.us:

Montana Code 45-8-328 Carrying Concealed Weapon in Prohibited Place
(1) Except for legislative security officers authorized to carry a concealed weapon in the state capitol as provided in 45-8-317(1)(k), a person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon in a prohibited place if the person purposely or knowingly carries a concealed weapon in:
(a) portions of a building used for state or local government offices and related areas in the building that
have been restricted;
(b) a bank, credit union, savings and loan institution, or similar institution during the institution's normal
business hours.
It is not an offense under this section to carry a concealed weapon while:
(i) using an institution's drive-up window, automatic teller machine, or unstaffed night depository; or
(ii) at or near a branch office of an institution in a mall, grocery store, or other place unless the person is
inside the enclosure used for the institution's financial services or is using the institution's financial
services.
(c) a room in which alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed, and consumed under a license issued under
Title 16 for the sale of alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
(2) It is not a defense that the person had a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon. A person convicted of the offense shall be imprisoned in the county jail for a term not to exceed 6 months or fined an amount not to exceed $500, or both.

MontanaResident

I have been going to my bank with a visible pistol on my hip. I just found out the law says that I cannot do that. Nobody at the bank said a thing. Am I wrong here?? Is carry in a bank legal?

As far as I know it is a no no.

https://dojmt.gov/enforcement/concealed-weapons/

Even with a concealed weapons permit, you may not carry a concealed weapon in the following places:
•buildings owned or leased by the federal, state or local government
financial institutions
•any place where alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed and consumed

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I just read all of Montana Code Annotated Title 45, Chapter 8, Part 3 Weapons (online) to see no regulation of other than concealed weapons except on school grounds open carry is evidently prohibited.
Article II, Section 12. RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.
The right of any person to keep or bear arms in defense of his own home, person, and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question, but nothing herein contained shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons.
Other than maybe schools, jails and courtrooms can't restrict open carry in public places open to the public. Can anyone show otherwise? The constitution doesn't authorize the legislature the authority to do otherwise, other than a corrupt court.

MontanaResident

Other than maybe schools, jails and courtrooms can't restrict open carry in public places open to the public. Can anyone show otherwise? The constitution doesn't authorize the legislature the authority to do otherwise, other than a corrupt court.

I think you are right. Only restriction is concealed.

Additional restrictions apply only to concealed carry. MCA 45-8-328
◾Buildings used for state or local government offices and related areas in builds that have been restricted
◾Bank, Credit union or other savings and loan institutions
◾A room in which alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed, and consumed under a license issued under Title 16

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Seems to read that way to me. Conceal a pistol and the regulate the bajingas out of you. Openly carry a well holstered pistol and none of these "laws" apply. I only OC so I am happy now. If someone is upset about my carry I will just see it as an opportunity to educate.

Thank you Gentlemen for your comments and guidance. New location, new laws, new requirements to read. I love Montana.

solus

Best to you and your partner in your new environment...B'ham's loss is the "treasure state" gain...

TTFN

MontanaCZ

A little late to the thread. Montana has it's quirks, like anywhere I guess. Most of what you find for code applies to concealed, and in those areas where it applies (about 10% of the State). OC in a bank is legal, CCW is not. A thread long ago someone had issues with a bank or banks in Butte if I recall right. Might have an issue in Missoula as well. P'Burg I would expect to not have a problem at all.