• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eastern WA OC Report

golddigger14s

Activist Member
My father & I took a quick trip up to Medical Lake today, to do a banking transaction which involved a larger sum of cash.

The first stop we made was the Eastbound Sprague Lake Rest Area & noticed a few looks but nothing more. Next stop we made was at Washington State Employee Credit Union in Medical Lake. Got to the branch as they were opening, & conducted the transaction. On the way out of the branch, the manager was at the door, introduced himself, & stated "nice handgun you have there", & pointed down to where the gunbuster sign was posted (at eye level for a 2-3 year old & clear with black & red symbols). He stated that as a Federally-insured financial institution that he prefer that next time I come in I concealed carry.

No other reactions that I noticed.

The money is federally insured, but it is still a private business. Not a federal building.

JoeSparky

Centurion
My father & I took a quick trip up to Medical Lake today, to do a banking transaction which involved a larger sum of cash.

The first stop we made was the Eastbound Sprague Lake Rest Area & noticed a few looks but nothing more. Next stop we made was at Washington State Employee Credit Union in Medical Lake. Got to the branch as they were opening, & conducted the transaction. On the way out of the branch, the manager was at the door, introduced himself, & stated "nice handgun you have there", & pointed down to where the gunbuster sign was posted (at eye level for a 2-3 year old & clear with black & red symbols). He stated that as a Federally-insured financial institution that he prefer that next time I come in I concealed carry.

No other reactions that I noticed.

FDIC insurance provided to depositors confers exactly the same ownership of property as Allstate or State Farm gets as the insurance provider for your home or car---- NONE!

mnrobitaille

The money is federally insured, but it is still a private business. Not a federal building.

The manager was actually appreciative that I was taking personal responsibility for my own safety/security (in light of the transaction which my father & I had just conducted. He just made a request that next time I concealed carry instead.

FDIC insurance provided to depositors confers exactly the same ownership of property as Allstate or State Farm gets as the insurance provider for your home or car---- NONE!

NCUA is a bit of a different breed from FDIC, though they are the same animal.

JoeSparky

Centurion
The manager was actually appreciative that I was taking personal responsibility for my own safety/security (in light of the transaction which my father & I had just conducted. He just made a request that next time I concealed carry instead.

NCUA is a bit of a different breed from FDIC, though they are the same animal.

Federally insurance of some deposited funds for Credit Union depositors still does not extend to OWNERSHIP.

Firearms Iinstuctor

My credit union and bank has always welcomed me while armed. But then I live in a small town the only gun buster signs I see are at the post office and local hospital. The clinic attached to the hospital took their signs down some time ago.

mnrobitaille

A short trip to Post Falls, ID

On a whim, on Saturday, dad decided that he & I needed a guys' day. For the guys' day he decided let's go shoot (initially he was wanting to go to Sharp Shooting Indoor Range & Gun Shop in Spokane). While stopped at Love's Travel Plaza in Ritzville, I convinced him that we should go to Center Target Sports in Post Falls, ID. While at Love's Travel Plaza, to do a minor stretch & restroom break, I walked throughout the store, & did not notice any adverse reactions.

The next stop after that was to get some target rounds for my father's SCCY CPX-2 9mm at Cabela's & got a few appreciative looks, nothing more. After Cabela's, we went to Center Target Sports, & I noticed on the way in some signage, stating firearms are to be cased & unloaded. We walked in, put our stuff down on the table, & approached the counter to do all the paperwork needed to use the range. Nothing was said/mentioned about my sidearm on my hip, nor was anything mentioned when I unholstered at the booth to unload my self-defense rounds & load up the targets rounds for shooting. Nothing was said when I reloaded the self-defense rounds & reholstered to leave the range/store.

We were both getting hungry, & so our next stop was Golden Corral in Spokane. I only had one interesting interaction while there, as a gal loading her plate with mac'n'cheese & green beans (I was waiting for the same) stated I startled her & she mentioned she was a bit on edge due to encountering some oddballs & weirdos earlier in the day. I did notice a few looks, but nothing showing disdain/disgust. After Golden Corral, we stopped at the Walmart Supercenter in Airway Heights to do some window shopping to see if we could find some items not available here. While walking throughout the store, no noticeable reactions from anyone. From there we came directly home.

mnrobitaille

Trip to Spokane & Post Falls

Last Thursday, dad & I went up to Medical Lake, Spokane, & Post Falls. Our first stop was Love's Travel Plaza in Ritzville & I was OCing while dad was CCing. I just noticed a few looks but nothing else while there.

Our next stop was Washington State Employees Credit Union in Medical Lake to conduct a transaction involving a larger sum of cash. Before walking in, I switched to where I was CCing, remembering what happened during the last visit. As we were waiting to see the next available teller, the branch manager (the same branch manager that asked me to CC next time I visited the branch) said he'd be happy to assist us. In doing so, he approached dad on his blind side, thereby causing dad to jump. He apologized for the jump scare, & took us into his office to conduct the transaction. At the end of conducting the transaction, he jokingly said "Don't get into too much trouble" & mentioned he remembered talking to me before about carrying of firearms. He understood our reasoning for carrying, especially after the transaction just conducted & thanked us.

We made a quick stop at McDonald's right off of I-90 to do a transfer of funds to our paralegal, & no noticeable responses from anyone.

The next stop was the Chase branch in Spokane Valley to do a few transactions, & while I was using the in-branch demo ATM, was approached by an associate, asking me if I was law enforcement. I explained I was not, & he started to explain to me that as a Federally insured financial institution that I was barred from carrying a firearm. I calmly explained that the Federal Regulations are courthouses, federal buildings, & secured areas of airports. He excused himself to talk with a manager, & explained why he responded how he did was due to an incident at a STCU where a law abiding citizen used his sidearm to stop a robbery in progress that did not go as planned, & requested that next time I concealed carry. Dad made the minor mistake of saying to the associate "you mean like this" & showing his holstered sidearm on his hip underneath his shirt. (I did a reminder, later, that we have to be careful & not do that as could have been charged with miscounduct due to the brandishing). The associate thanked us for the understanding & left us to finish our business.

Next was the Krispy Kreme in Spokane where I did not notice any responses from anyone present. After Krispy Kreme, we went to Tedder Industries (Alien Gear Holsters) in Post Falls, so that I could go pick up the new ShapeShift Modular Holster System for my Smith & Wesson M&P SHIELD .40. Before going in, I took sidearm out of battery in order to do a holster fitting. Ordered my ShapeShift & a Cloak Mag Double Magazine carrier & paid for it. Since the order processing would take about 30 minutes, I notified Allison (the receptionist) that I was going to run a few other errands & be back to pick up my order. Went to one of the 2 Walmarts in Post Falls to do some shopping, & did not notice any reactions from anyone. Proceeded back to Alien Gear Holsters to get my order & it was waiting for me when I arrived. Next we proceeded to the other Walmart in Post Falls (the one next to Cabela's) to pick up some items the other Walmart did not have in stock. While waiting in line to check out, had a gentleman behind me ask what I was carrying & we got into a little discussion about firearms.

Since we were hungry, we went over to Cabela's for lunch & to browse. While there I decided to pick up a bedding set & some fudge, & no noticeable responses.

On the way home, we stopped at the Subway in Ritzville to bring home a sub for the wife, & while waiting to be served, a Ritzville Police Officer came walking in, nothing was said by him or anyone else. After that we arrived back home.

fetch

The far Southeast Washington report.

My wife and I went on a two week vacation thru Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and back to Spokane, about 3,000 miles round trip. OC most of the way no issues. Stood at Independence Pass (about 12,000 ft) outside of Aspen Colo., carried to Pikes Peak (14,000 ft). I must have heard a dozen different languages. On my birthday, I went to a gun range in Colorado Springs and shot a M1919, FUN! Though the staff did not seem interested in politics. Ended up at the Bill Cody museum in Cody Wy. The sign on the door read "Any visible firearms must be stored at security" (I don't remember the exact wording). If you have not been to this museum, try to get there. Thousands of fireams on display, it was overwhelming. A lodge in Yellowstone park had a no guns.
All in all, a great trip.

mnrobitaille

Interesting encounter at Old Country Buffet

Earlier this morning, decided to make a run to Tri-Cities to do some window shopping, & get some breakfast. For breakfast, mom. dad. & I went to the Old Country Buffet on Canal Drive in Kennewick. Before sitting to enjoy breakfast I took off the hooded sweatshirt I was wearing, to keep from getting overheated. I got a plate full of food &placed it on the table. While I was going after a glass of milk, a nice older woman, asked me if my Smith & Wesson M&P Shield .40 was a toy or if it was real. I explained to her it was a real firearm, & mentioned to her how toy guns are being made now to look realistic, except for the plastic orange tips that are supposed to be on them. She also asked me if I was security or law enforcement, & I answered that I was just a responsibly armed citizen concerned for my own safety & the safety of my family. She also asked about OCing, & I stated that Washington State does allow for the open carrying of sidearms.

The rest of the day, all other stops were uneventful, with just some looks.

mnrobitaille

Trip to Tri-Cities doing both CC & OC

Due to the wife not feeling good, had to take a trip into Kennewick to Trios Urgent Care-Columbia Center. While there, I was CCing due to Trios being anti-gun. After getting a clean bill of health, we went to Target in Kennewick, where due to getting overheated, I took my coat off, going OC. I walked throughout the store, & no one noticed or cared. As was cold outside, put coat back on, before leaving. Next time I took coat off was a Great Clips on Road 68 in Pasco to get a haircut & no one there reacted.

mnrobitaille

Food shopping adventures in Hermiston, OR

Yesterday & today was time for monthly food shopping, yesterday while out did nothing but CC. Today, however, we decided to take a trip down to Hermiston, OR to do some food shopping. Our 1st stop in Hermiston was Bottle Drop, & from what I could tell only reactions was just a few quick glances but nothing more. After Bottle Drop we went to Safeway to check to see if they had some items available which none of the stores in Tri-Cities carried, & we did find a few items :) No noticeable reactions from anyone at Safeway. Next, we went across the parking lot to Dollar Tree, to pick up an aluminum baking pan. While there we were browsing the food selections, Molly (my wife) found a nearly empty of bottle of Gatorade that just across the aisle, was a cold case full of. I told her to stay there, so I could go up & report the shrinkage to the personnel. The cashier called the manager up front, & after his arriving, we proceeded back to where the shrinkage was located. As we turned the corner, he commented, loudly for several in the vicinity to hear,
What you going to do, take me to the back & shoot me?
, one of those who heard him say that was my wife, as she was about 5 feet away. My response to his inquiry, aside from wanting to burst out in laughter, was simply
. As we were done with our business in store, Molly & I proceeded to the check out, where the manager checked us out due to the other cashier having a long line. All he did at check out was just thank us & to have a nice day.

After the fun little adventure at Dollar Tree, we went to Walmart to get some cat food & to check for items not carried here. After picking up the 44 pound bag of cat food, dad asked if they sold firearms at the Sporting Goods counter. I acknowledged they did, & he & I proceeded back there. Molly was browsing over in the grocery aisles, while we went back to Sporting Goods. While dad & I were in Sporting Goods, the male associate back there just smiled at dad & I when he noticed me OCing. No other noticeable results while at Walmart.

After done with Walmart, we proceeded back into Washington State where our next stop was the Kennewick Costco. As I was driving, I dropped dad & Molly off at the door, & went to go find a parking space. After about 3-4 minutes was able to find a parking space, & as was getting out of the car, I used the hoodie I was wearing to CC. No noticeable reactions/responses from my CCing in Costco. After Costco, we went to Yoke's Fresh Market on Road 68 in Pasco, where as I got out of the car, I switched back to OCing. While walking throughout the store, I did not notice any reactions from anyone.

After Yoke's Fresh Market, we stopped at Connell Grange Supply to get gas, & as they know I carry, no responses from anyone. After gassing up, we proceeded home.

As a side note, while at Costco waiting to check out, I noticed the gentleman in front of us at the register, had on the check out belt, a large bottle of Fireball Whiskey & a large assorted pack of Trojan Condoms, so got two laughs today while out.

deanf

While there we were browsing the food selections, Molly (my wife) found a nearly empty of bottle of Gatorade that just across the aisle, was a cold case full of. I told her to stay there, so I could go up & report the shrinkage to the personnel.

Huh?

mnrobitaille

Richland & Moses Lake adventures

Did a combination of both CC & OC during both trips, will focus on when was OCing.

On Friday, while paying bills & running other errands, made a stop at the Richland Walmart & went back to sporting goods to see what they had available for Blaze Orange apparel. Found a Mossy Oak Hooded Jacket that I thought would be a great wardrobe addition, as well as perfect to have for the Pheasant Hunt on Saturday, February 17th. Was CCing at the time, but took the hooded sweatshirt I had off, becoming OC to try on the jacket. The jacket was a great fit & took it off & put it in the cart. Went back to Site-to-store to wait on my wife as she was using the facilities, & while waiting a gentleman came up & just said "Nice Shield" & stated he had the .45 version. Other than that, no other reactions, even though was near a customer at electronics that was getting irate cause of "lack of associates available" to help him activate his prepaid cell phone.

On Saturday, went up to Moses Lake to visit the Sportsman's Warehouse there to see what they had for Blaze Orange apparel for the wife to have/use for the February 17th Pheasant Hunt. Was CC while there, but did find a vest for the wife :) When was done with Sportsman's Warehouse, went over to WinCo Foods (Same complex, just opposite side), & as soon as was inside took my coat off as to me it was a bit warm inside. Walked around the entire store, checking out the store layout, as well as picked up a few items. No noticeable responses from anyone there. After WinCo, made a stop at Taco Bell to get some food to take home to the wife (she stayed home) & noticed a few looks from some kids but nothing else. Across the street at Walmart, to pick up a few items, & only noticed quizzical looks, but nothing more. Stopped at Safeway to gas up, & no one was near us to notice any responses, as used a card to pay at the pump.

sirpuma

My wife and I went on a two week vacation ... Ended up at the Bill Cody museum in Cody Wy. The sign on the door read "Any visible firearms must be stored at security" (I don't remember the exact wording). If you have not been to this museum, try to get there. Thousands of fireams on display, it was overwhelming. A lodge in Yellowstone park had a no guns.

So you were not permitted to OC in the Cody museum? Wife and I are planning a trip there in a couple months.

solus

If I remember Colorado is an OC state, except Denver. I don't recall the exact wording now but, yes any "visible" firearms is the key word. I didn't see anything on there web site, give them a call.
https://centerofthewest.org/

uh, as a point of information the Cody museum is in Wyoming not Colorado!

Denver, due to its incorporation, is home rule as upheld by the courts of Colorado.

just saying..

golddigger14s

Activist Member
My wife and I went on a two week vacation thru Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and back to Spokane, about 3,000 miles round trip. OC most of the way no issues. Stood at Independence Pass (about 12,000 ft) outside of Aspen Colo., carried to Pikes Peak (14,000 ft). I must have heard a dozen different languages. On my birthday, I went to a gun range in Colorado Springs and shot a M1919, FUN! Though the staff did not seem interested in politics. Ended up at the Bill Cody museum in Cody Wy. The sign on the door read "Any visible firearms must be stored at security" (I don't remember the exact wording). If you have not been to this museum, try to get there. Thousands of fireams on display, it was overwhelming. A lodge in Yellowstone park had a no guns.

Most buildings in Jellystone are federal.

fetch

uh, as a point of information the Cody museum is in Wyoming not Colorado!

Denver, due to its incorporation, is home rule as upheld by the courts of Colorado.

just saying..

Just saying, my wife and I drove a lot of miles. I was thinking of Colorado and ment Wyoming. A thousand pardons.
Yes, OC is illegal in Denver, even though the court states they can, from my understanding they are still violating state law. I do not wish to continue the debate over it.

shad0wfax

I’m still around, and still open carrying east of the Cascades.

I have many days, weeks, months, and years of nothing noteworthy to report while open carrying; that’s a good thing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I’m still around, and still open carrying east of the Cascades.

I have many days, weeks, months, and years of nothing noteworthy to report while open carrying; that’s a good thing.
Please post them.

By posting these events you encourage others to OC. This builds positive relationships and strengthens the forum.