• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do You Open Carry?

OC for ME

I ain't lookin for a pissin contest. What someone wishes to do ( OC or CC ) within the frame of existing laws, is fine with me. I am comfortable carrying a concealed weapon. Many people wish to OC. God Bless Em.
Really.

I've been in my local Walmart & have seen characters with a feckin Super Blackhawk hanging on their hip. Like the Old West. Making some sort of statement? I don't know.
Your own words betray your other words.

KBCraig

Walking the local mountains, I carry my .357 Blackhawk on my hip. Bears you know.

I'll pass along that info to one of my old friends. He's pretty up to date on the new forms of "bears" flagging and signaling, but from what he says, it's mostly fluffy dudes with beards wearing flannel shirts. If you're looking for a mountain hookup, he probably knows someone in your area.

Jimsouth

Let me see you come to a forum dedicated to OC and your first post is why you don't.

Nope not looking for a fight at all.

I am sure we all believe you.

Since this forum is dedicated to OC, I would think members would welcome other opinions; a chance to present their OC case. It was never my intention to be rude, or a wise guy.

Last edited:

Jimsouth

Having shot a few bears with handguns I know.

I never shot a bear. Many white tails, but never a bear. I no longer hunt big game; too many people who pick up a firearm "only once a year", and head into the mountains. A few years back, some fool from Philly was in my area hunting, and he shot a farmer's mule. How anyone could mistake a mule for a whitetail is beyond me; but if someone could do that, they could also mistake me for a whitetail. I use ( used ) an old Winchester 45 70. Excellent brush gun. There was also a Winchester 50 110 in the family, but I never shot it.

Last edited:

gutshot II

I never shot a bear. Many white tails, but never a bear. I no longer hunt big game; too many people who pick up a firearm "only once a year", and head into the mountains. A few years back, some fool from Philly was in my area hunting, and he shot a farmer's mule. How anyone could mistake a mule for a whitetail is beyond me; but if someone could do that, they could also mistake me for a whitetail. I use ( used ) an old Winchester 45 70. Excellent brush gun. There was also a Winchester 50 110 in the family, but I never shot it.

What has this got to do with open carry?

B

Bikenut

Since this forum is dedicated to OC, I would think members would welcome other opinions; a chance to present their OC case. It was never my intention to be rude, or a wise guy.
I would welcome input that could change my opinion of OC. I admit, I do not have all the answers.
There are over 200 posts in this particular thread with many of those posts presenting the case for OC.

As tedious as it may seem perhaps reading the entire thread from the very first post to the present last post might show that the case for OC has been presented from many perspectives and sometimes those perspectives have been substantiated with links to supporting factual evidence. May I also suggest taking the time to click on the links provided and read the supporting factual evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimsouth

There are over 200 posts in this particular thread with many of those posts presenting the case for OC.

As tedious as it may seem perhaps reading the entire thread from the very first post to the present last post might show that the case for OC has been presented from many perspectives and sometimes those perspectives have been substantiated with links to supporting factual evidence. May I also suggest taking the time to click on the links provided and read the supporting factual evidence.

Myself, CC for many years ( in fact, always ). I guess I developed a mind set. Possibly my intent on keeping a low profile, staying below the radar. Like I said; "Beware of the quiet man".

B

Bikenut

Originally Posted by Bikenut There are over 200 posts in this particular thread with many of those posts presenting the case for OC.

Myself, CC for many years ( in fact, always ). I guess I developed a mind set. Possibly my intent on keeping a low profile, staying below the radar. Like I said; "Beware of the quiet man".
Perhaps there is also an element of being afraid of public scrutiny and/or a fear of not being able to explain the right to bear arms if asked or confronted by a stranger? Make no mistake, open carry is not for the faint of heart and requires courage of conviction along with the ability to politely and convincingly present your reasons to support the actual right to bear arms by OC'ing instead of the government given permission privilege of CC. Especially when OC'ing while confronting local, city, county, government boards/depts. about illegal anti gun ordinances as many of the OC'ers on this forum have done.

But I am curious if you have gone back and read all of the posts in this thread in order to gain more of an understanding of the reasons some people decide to OC?

Michael48632

Open Carrier in Walmart

My teen daughter and I were in the Mount Pleasant Walmart when I spotted a man and his young daughter walking in front of us and I asked my daughter is she noticed anything ? Her response was yes the dad and daughter in front of us I said ok anything else ? to which she responded no I said look at the father and than she spotted his sidearm and said cool , she didn't run out screaming in fear nor did anyone else . I walked up and thanked the man and said I belong to the group and am currently waiting to get my cpl so I can open carry without the fear of getting in a bind but I open carry around our subdivision and sometimes other places . Keep up the great work ladies and gentlemen it is getting more accepted .:D

Jimsouth

Perhaps there is also an element of being afraid of public scrutiny and/or a fear of not being able to explain the right to bear arms if asked or confronted by a stranger? Make no mistake, open carry is not for the faint of heart and requires courage of conviction along with the ability to politely and convincingly present your reasons to support the actual right to bear arms by OC'ing instead of the government given permission privilege of CC. Especially when OC'ing while confronting local, city, county, government boards/depts. about illegal anti gun ordinances as many of the OC'ers on this forum have done.

But I am curious if you have gone back and read all of the posts in this thread in order to gain more of an understanding of the reasons some people decide to OC?

I took a step last night; and went to Walmart with the Blackhawk on my hip. Neither here nor there; but I did get a comment on the dependable pistol I carried; from another O Carrier. To be honest, I did not feel uncomfortable. I may begin to carry as the mood strikes me. Or I may OC & CC at he same time. .357 on the hip & CC the little CA Off Duty on the ankle. Remember, my Walmart sojourn last night was a first for me. I must also say, the Blackhawk on my hip did feel a bit clumsy. I think something smaller is in order; and DA.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
My teen daughter and I were in the Mount Pleasant Walmart when I spotted a man and his young daughter walking in front of us and I asked my daughter is she noticed anything ? Her response was yes the dad and daughter in front of us I said ok anything else ? to which she responded no I said look at the father and than she spotted his sidearm and said cool , she didn't run out screaming in fear nor did anyone else . I walked up and thanked the man and said I belong to the group and am currently waiting to get my cpl so I can open carry without the fear of getting in a bind but I open carry around our subdivision and sometimes other places . Keep up the great work ladies and gentlemen it is getting more accepted .:D
Could please explain the above bolding.

B

Bikenut

I took a step last night; and went to Walmart with the Blackhawk on my hip. Neither here nor there; but I did get a comment on the dependable pistol I carried; from another O Carrier. To be honest, I did not feel uncomfortable. I may begin to carry as the mood strikes me. Or I may OC & CC at he same time. .357 on the hip & CC the little CA Off Duty on the ankle. Remember, my Walmart sojourn last night was a first for me. I must also say, the Blackhawk on my hip did feel a bit clumsy. I think something smaller is in order; and DA.
I am glad you have an open mind about OC and the courage to give it a try.

I have an exceptionally liberal friend who hated guns. I mean he was rabidly anti gun. But his noticing the non reaction of folks around me as I open carried when we went to lunch and my low key and not pushy talking about guns had an impact on him to the point where he accepted an invitation to go to the range. Long story short not only did he buy his own guns (yes guns) but he also got his concealed carry permit. And after a couple of months he took the plunge and open carried at lunch also. After that completely uneventful lunch he has open carried many more times.

The following is just what works for me and is not advice but is merely an explanation.

For me putting my open carry G26 into it's holster on my hip in the morning is as normal as pulling my pants up. And that G26 stays right there in plain sight no matter where I go or what I do during my day with the exception of if I am forced to go somewhere that having a gun is illegal.

However, I also carry a Ruger EC9s or a Ruger LCP in my pocket for a back up gun. Occasionally I will also carry a Kel Tec P32 in an ankle holster making my total round count between the 3 guns as 27.

Why 3 separate guns instead of spare mags? Reacting to everything during a defensive altercation is stressful and stress makes for possible fumbles or screwups. Changing a mag is a perfect time for a fumble/screwup but grabbing another gun that is ready to go requires less manual dexterity, fewer motions, and only requires one hand. Although getting to that ankle holster can be either easy or difficult depending on body position. So 2 to 3 guns increases the number of rounds available.

I would also like to mention that everyone needs to be very aware of all the laws (including trespass laws) regarding carrying a gun openly or concealed in their State and any State they might visit simply because the penalties for messing up can be life changing.

Jimsouth

Could please explain the above bolding.

I think even though ( in a broad sense ), the 2nd A should be enough for a law abiding citizen to carry a firearm, there are still issues - rules that have surfaced over the years; and some permit may be in order to carry without a hassle. I remember being stopped by a state trooper; and the first thing I did was hands out the window, with drivers license in one hand & CC permit in the other hand. It made the stop less stressful for sure. I was on my way in minutes. Without the permit, even though it was a legal firearm, I can't say what the stop would have amounted to.

wrearick

I have no desire to "surprise" a person in a gun fight. I want to avoid all gun fights. Most criminals, like all predetors prefer to prey on the weak and helpless. Seeing an openly carried firearm will often cause them to move on to a weaker target. OC is a deterent to crime. It is quite possible that there will be no gunfight if the criminal knows you are armed and sees your weapon before hand.

+1

since9

Campaign Veteran
I CC Most of the Time. I OC Whenever I Can

When I was young, I gave a right-elbow a Virginia Tech football player in the jaw and escaped his 100-lb differential fight only to run into him a year later when apologized. He undeniably had the advantage six ways to Sunday. After he hammered my right kidney twice (I peed blood for a couple of days) I right-elbowed him in his jaw, twice. The first time jarred him. That gave me a split-second chance to give it all I had, and since he was still sitting on top of me, and I could not shake him off as he outweighed me by roughly 100 lbs, I let him have it. Right elbow to his jaw once, which disoriented him, and a second shot with everything I had, as he'd already induced massively painful punches into my right kidney. I didn't know it at the time, but he caused serious damage.

That was in the Spring of 2006, I think. In the fall of 2007, I was invited to attend a party by my next door neighbor, and woah! It turned out to be the same fraternity. Turns out, the guy who attacked me was my next door neighbor's friend, so here we were and before I knew it, he was introducing me to his friend who had invited us to the party.

My Friend: Hey, X, I'd like you to meet Y, my friend and next door neighbor!

Big Guy: Hi, how are you?

Me: (Shaking Big Guy's hand): I'm fine, thank you.

Big Guy: Um, you look familiar...

Me: Yeah, you do too.

Big Guy: You're the one?

Me: (I wasn't connecting the dots) The one"

Big Guy: Yeah. You. Last Spring

He was sitting on a couch. I was standing up. At the point I realized that, I also realized that was the guy.

Me: Oh, that. Are you OK?

i think that set him off.

Big Guy: Well, you broke my jaw in three places.

Very uncomfortable silence.

Me: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to.

Big Guy: (very big pause, him of 220 lbs sitting on the couch, me of 160 lbs standing in front of him), That's ok. I shouldn't have attacked you.

Me: Uh...

And that's about as civil as things got before I shook his hand and departed the fix. Kudos to him, whoever he was, for not bone-crushing me during our second meeting.

Hey, Mike: THANKS.

In 2009, I flung some 300 lb Sumo-schmuck into a pool as he accosted me. I'm a student of Aikido aka "protect your attacker." He lived without a scratch, but exited with a healthy respect for anyone "retired air force" which is all I gave him. He exited the pool complex along the maximum perimeter.