• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal Pistol License Training HB 1315

solus

Couple of concerns:
1 WASP will define the course? Why not WA State Criminal Justice Training Commission who trains WA LEs?
  1. WASP profit center of $100/instructor.
  2. Proficiency is minimum of 1 hour but not more that 2?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
This is an interesting addition to the application.
CAUTION: Although state and local laws do not differ, federal law and state law on the possession of firearms differ. If you are prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm, you may be prosecuted in federal court. A state license is not a defense to a federal prosecution.

mikeyb

Oh, I love (sarcasm) page 9, line 19:

19 (3) An approved online course provider shall administer the classroom instruction part of the handgun proficiency course in an online format. A course administered online must include not less than four hours and not more than eight hours of instruction.

I can only predict that the online course would be as difficult to navigate as the boater's test. Only between 4-8 hours.

Will this law, if passed, push more people out of the CC closet to OC?

wabbit

NRA training has had citizen computer based pistol training, covering the mundane topics of safety, types of handguns, etc. for quite awhile and which i understood fulfilled several states CC training mandates.

Right now WA state just hands out resident & non-resident privilege cards to anyone who shows the money!

HB 1315 is in committee here is a synopsis which is a better read than OP’s link

Last edited:

badger54

Did this ever pass? Even if it didn’t I’m still thinking about letting my CPL lapse now they took away the ability to get around the 10 waiting period to buy a gun. That’s basically the only reason I still have one.

solus

Do you predominately OC...
Per handgunlaw.us, WASHINGTON, quote
Open Carry is legal but you must have a valid permit/license to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle in Washington. This includes Cars, Buses and Trains. You can keep the firearm holstered with empty chamber on your hip in your vehicle (can’t be concealed) but the loaded mag must be removed.

Further,

9.41.040 - Carrying firearms
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle. [2003 c 53 § 28; 1997 c 200 § 1;
Unquote http://handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

Yes by all means don’t renew your privilege card and leave the firearm at home where it is safe and secure from the perils of the community.

CitizenJohn

Did this ever pass? Even if it didn’t I’m still thinking about letting my CPL lapse now they took away the ability to get around the 10 waiting period to buy a gun. That’s basically the only reason I still have one.
The last day of the WSL regular session was 4-28. I just checked the WSL website and it shows the bill and the senate companion bill still in committee. So, in my limited knowledge of how the bill process works, it's dead for 2019. If anyone has a better knowledge of the process, I would appreciate any applicable corrections.

solus

per cite:
jan 13 2020: By resolution, reintroduced and retained in present status.

therefore, still in Public hearing in the House Committee on Civil Rights & Judiciary since 29 jan 2019!

WSP hasn't done due diligence to develop curriculum as judicially mandated for previous firearm "training" standards soooo much to do about????