• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC LEs shoot citizens who poffered air soft and BB pistols

solus

CBS 17, quote:
A North Carolina State Highway Patrolman was cleared Friday in the April 4 shooting of a man who ended up being armed with an air pistol, authorities say.
The 20-year-old Clayton man who was shot during an altercation near Princeton was released from the hospital six days after the shooting.

Darius Jayquan Rogers suffered serious injuries when he was shot by Sgt. J. M. Dorsey during a traffic stop around 1 p.m. on Highway 70 outside Princeton on April 5, the Highway Patrol said.

On Friday, a report by Johnston County District Attorney Susan Doyle said that Rogers had a black and silver Umbrex 40-X-P Air pistol in his Nissan Maxima glove compartment. "Rogers admitted that he did not tell Dorsey that it was just a BB-gun because he was scared," the report said.

The incident all began when Dorsey was heading east on US 70 in Wayne County when he saw a Nissan Maxima heading west around 100 mph.
During a traffic stop for the speeding, Rogers seemed "unusually nervous and continued to stare at the glove compartment," the report from Doyle said.
Eventually, Rogers said he had a "gun" in the glove compartment and Dorsey told him not to move toward it, according to the report.
"At that point, Rogers dove with both hands and grabbed toward the glove compartment," the report Friday said.
"Dorsey saw Rogers grab the pistol out of the glove compartment with his right hand and begin to lean up again," according to the report.
Dorsey told Rogers to "drop it" three separate times before firing fired three times back-to-back through the rear passenger's side window.

Rogers then fell across into the front passenger's seat. Rogers had three gunshots to his back.
Unquote

Call me cynical...

solus

How is this not a good shoot?

Well i suppose “according to the report” I’m sure those who give QI dispensations it is considered a good shoot.

But pray tell, why does in nice NCSP have a laser on his belt?

How is a suspect who gets shot in the back three times ~ considered a threat?

Why is the startled NCSP so jumpy that he cannot wait to see what the driver, whose back is turned toward the NCSP, is going to do?

Why couldn’t said jumpy trooper step back further while awaiting for an actual threatening gesture

Oh i know it was a split second life and death decision while the driver’s back was turn toward the trooper and he feared for his life.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Well i suppose “according to the report” I’m sure those who give QI dispensations it is considered a good shoot.

But pray tell, why does in nice NCSP have a laser on his belt?

How is a suspect who gets shot in the back three times ~ considered a threat?

Why is the startled NCSP so jumpy that he cannot wait to see what the driver, whose back is turned toward the NCSP, is going to do?

Why couldn’t said jumpy trooper step back further while awaiting for an actual threatening gesture

Oh i know it was a split second life and death decision while the driver’s back was turn toward the trooper and he feared for his life.

What does anything on his belt have do with the shooting.

I am glad you are willing to be shot at first to prove their is a deadly threat.

Besides waiting to be shot at the officer did everything right the suspect did everything wrong.

solus

Might watch the trooper’s movement in the video again as it appears his decision to shoot the driver wasn’t made in a panicky ‘split life and death second’ but extremely calculated to get the best angle to shoot.

Sorry, ‘someone leaning over from the driver’s side to the glovebox, fumbling about’ with me inches from them doesn’t lend me to immediately pull my service pistol, get sighted, no, let me chance position not a good stance, no, still not a good position, then scrunched down pull off the rounds to hit the driver in the BACK doesn't seem ‘according to the report’ justify deadly force.

Please, your perception of the outcome of JQPublic showing that video and telling that story ~ with the shooter black and the wounded person shot in the back white?

I am putting the same standard of application of law across the the board which is how the law should be administered ~ shouldn’t it?

Firearms Iinstuctor

‘According to the report’

How can any individual be “armed” with an air soft gun?

If you are willing to wait for the bang that is a personal choice not one required by law.

Define armed.

One can be armed with many things.

I can be armed with a pen, I can be armed with a padlock, I can be armed with a stick.

Being armed can mean many things. How effective those arms depends a lot on the person wielding them.

If you don't know how to arm your self that sounds like a personnel problem.

hammer6

‘According to the report’

How can any individual be “armed” with an air soft gun?

It says the driver admitted to telling the officer he had a "gun", not a BB gun. He didn't have to reach for it. I thought the same thing, why not retreat and wait for a threat, but tbh this was threatening.

solus

If you are willing to wait for the bang that is a personal choice not one required by law.

Define armed.

One can be armed with many things.

I can be armed with a pen, I can be armed with a padlock, I can be armed with a stick.

Being armed can mean many things. How effective those arms depends a lot on the person wielding them.

If you don't know how to arm your self that sounds like a personnel problem.

You are completely right FI...i guess you could beat someone senseless with an airsoft, or a padlock, or brass knuckles or rolled up newspaper, or pen - ballpoint works better than fountain, ad nauseam and as you point out effectiveness is but another point of some discussion...

I for one, without privilege training & such mindset mentality nor reason to uphold the blue code, prefer to wonder how those early keystone cops managed to survive with just their nightsticks?

As stated...make it civilians, make the claim “they be reach’n fo the glovebox/under the seat/center console” and then have them be shot in the back! Ya justified alright!

solus

It says the driver admitted to telling the officer he had a "gun", not a BB gun. He didn't have to reach for it. I thought the same thing, why not retreat and wait for a threat, but tbh this was threatening.

According to the report! Oh wait the troopers report...notice no body cam and no sound - NC has no mandate for sound!

Stop, stop, stop yepper thats what i hollared

hammer6

According to the report! Oh wait the troopers report...notice no body cam and no sound - NC has no mandate for sound!

Stop, stop, stop yepper thats what i hollared

did you not watch the video?

solus

Sorry...don't do it, don’t do it, don’t do it, then as he fires says drop the gun as the trooper fired...

Hollared as the trooper got his arse in the proper placement, not once but three hops to shoot him in the B A C K/

No i didn't watch the video ~ sigh!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
You can lie, cheat and steal, but you cannot contradict yourself. Cops will usually contradict themselves. And prosecutors will contradict themselves trying to justify the cops contradiction.