• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Permit with a 22 year old felony conviction

solus

Is it or is it not correct that a convicted felon can not vote or sit on a jury unless his basic civil rights have been restored.

stuart, did you just recently apply for and get your AZ DL? if so, this card you received regarding voting is automatically sent by the state's computer or a third party entity, of was sent before the november elections reminding citizens or in preparation for the upcoming election...reminding AZ's citizens to vote!

do you truly believe AZ's computers ping'd NJ's computers to verify your past criminal history?

but i've just had an epiphany...
stuart, why after 22 years...in your early/mid 40's, do you have a sudden craving to get a ccw in a state where it's citizens w/a state issued DL can CC without a privilege card?

Further, how are you, with an acknowledged drug conviction, going to purchase a firearm from a FFL, and truthfully answer the ATF's Form 4473, question 11c:

"Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation?"

finally stuart, do you honestly believe an AZ attorney of record will be versed in NJ's judicial practices to answer your questions on expungement of a 22 yo drug bust conviction?

[so...it was only a $10 baggie eh...'found' in a vehicle 'you' were driving eh...humm why did johnny law just happen to stop said vehicle eh...and again by your own admission you've been an upstanding citizen these past 22 years eh...yepper, seems like just another happenstance in the tales from the naked city!]

stuart

I got my AZ driver's license when I moved here 3 years ago. I didn't receive my voters registration card until last June. I was summoned for jury duty a year ago. I have a lawyer that is in the state of NJ who is well versed in criminal law among other things, and as for your last statement, getting caught with the drugs, I was pulled over for speeding which gave the police "probable cause" to search my vehicle after they found out I was "driving on the revoked list". That was my initial charge. The driving on the revoked list charge was dropped because of a plea agreement to the drug charge.

I am currently a "live-in" health caregiver to 2 elderly seniors, one is 70 who is 95% bedridden, and the other one is 80 and very frail. The neighborhood we're in isn't the best and I thought it would be a good idea to have some "home protection". I am their first line of defence should an intruder happen to get in this house. My computer is in the dining room which is in the middle of the house, so it's me that makes "first contact" with anyone and i'd like to be prepared "just in case" if you understand my meaning.

Last edited:

solus

get a shotgun ~ best home defence firearm and is a difficult for elders to use for their personal self harm.

one hope the agency's care facility allows "weapons" in their facility.

stuart

LOL, thats a little extreme isn't it? Yeah, I can picture that, a shotgun sittin next to my computer, no thanks. I can keep a handgun locked in my desk draw. We're not in a facility, we're in a private home.

JTHunter2

There may a valid reason for keeping the firearm locked away from the residents. They may have dementia so bad that they have to be protected from themselves. Or, they may have medical problems that may make them want to take a "shorter route" to the end.
Stuart - is there a reason that you can't carry the gun on an "IWB" (inside waist band) type holster, particularly one with very strong retention properties? Is it your employers "policy" of "No Guns" in these homes?

stuart

There may a valid reason for keeping the firearm locked away from the residents. They may have dementia so bad that they have to be protected from themselves. Or, they may have medical problems that may make them want to take a "shorter route" to the end.
Stuart - is there a reason that you can't carry the gun on an "IWB" (inside waist band) type holster, particularly one with very strong retention properties? Is it your employers "policy" of "No Guns" in these homes?

This is not the safest section of town that we're living in. The owner has had 1 vehicle stolen, and their new one has been vandalized. We have motion sensor lights on both sides of the house and bars on all the windows and steel gates on the doors. I was simply thinking it would be prudent to have a home defence weapon here "just in case" someone was able to get inside the home. The owners are both retired military and are pro weapons for home defence, and since my "station" is in the middle of the house, I am the first "person of contact" here and I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a defencive weapon other than a 4 foot machete at my disposal.

solus

This is not the safest section of town that we're living in. The owner has had 1 vehicle stolen, and their new one has been vandalized. We have motion sensor lights on both sides of the house and bars on all the windows and steel gates on the doors. I was simply thinking it would be prudent to have a home defence weapon here "just in case" someone was able to get inside the home. The owners are both retired military and are pro weapons for home defence, and since my "station" is in the middle of the house, I am the first "person of contact" here and I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a defencive weapon other than a 4 foot machete at my disposal.

alas, the 'just in case' scenario concept works if you are near/can easily get to your locked drawer...

https://www.azleg.gov/arsDetail/?title=13 [review chapter 4xx]

stuart

Well, since I sit at my computer desk 98% of the day, my desk has a draw lock on it for all my "important" documents, and the key is always in the lock, so it would make sense for my gun to be in the locked draw at all times unless im out of the house and open carrying it with me. All I need to do is reach down, unlock the draw and pick up the weapon and hold it in my hand.

Stuart.

stuart

my lock draw is within 12" of my arms reach. All I need to do is drop my right arm and im there at my draw lock. One quick turn to the right and its unlocked, 3 inches down is my gun in my hand.

solus

Well, since I sit at my computer desk 98% of the day, my desk has a draw lock on it for all my "important" documents, and the key is always in the lock, so it would make sense for my gun to be in the locked draw at all times unless im out of the house and open carrying it with me. All I need to do is reach down, unlock the draw and pick up the weapon and hold it in my hand.

Stuart.

dedicated..."...I sit at my computer desk 98%..." nodding off the 2%?

ah the standard "reach down....magickly into the hand" SD move...

oh how did "tomorrows" talk with the NJ shyster...go ~ eh?

stuart

Uhhhh, no, I don't nod off, the other 2% im doing online research or watching movies. I don't have a "shyster" lawyer, She is my mom's estate lawyer that handles my trust fund. I've known her and her father for the last 60 years and I trust her implicitly. She's on vacation until the new year in Barbados, so i'll talk to her when she returns.

solus

the dance continues...c'est la vie in the naked city

enjoy the season...

Ghost1958

If you want a weapon you can legally have get a black powder revolver. ATF nor any of the gun control acts banning felons from firearms apply to them.
A bit costly but a paroled murderer carries on OC here constantly and there is zip that can be done about it.

stuart

I had a black powder revolver once many years ago. It was a Navy Colt 44. Beautiful handgun, 13" octagonal barrel with sailing ships etched into the round holder. Very well balanced and nice to handle.