• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trump Forced to Withdraw His ATF Nomination

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Canterbury’s nomination stalled, but was returned and revived by the president in February when he renominated him for the position.
Is Trump a 2A guy or not?

OC for ME

If Trump is a "2A guy" the BATF&E would be relegated to a similar size and scope as the NTSB. All non-DoD federal lands, national parks, CoE managed lands etc.. would be returned to the respective states where state guns laws apply.

JTHunter2

Is Trump a 2A guy or not?

Canterbury buried his nomination when, in the 2013 letter, he gave his reasons for more unconstitutional infringements:

We believe the most logical starting point to address gun violence is the expansion of the background check system. Incomplete or absent background checks create a gaping hole in the wall between firearms and criminals. Loopholes in the background check system give criminals unprecedented opportunity to access firearms. This problem must be remedied quickly….

We encourage you to consider expanding the resources available to ATF to combat firearms trafficking.… As things stand now, ATF has been scraping by with a dwindling number of agents and other resources while ATF’s mission has expanded. Frankly, this is unacceptable.

Things are so bad, complained Canterbury, that “there are jurisdictions out there telling civilians bluntly that they will have to defend themselves.”

While you may not agree with these bolded sections, I believe they are essentially accurate. There are many states whose record-keeping is so shoddy, there are missing records that might have prevented at least one workplace shooting, a recent one.
The problems we have witnessed (or been subjected to) with the longer and more frequent delays is where the second bolded part fits.
And I remember hearing/reading about some local LEO (sheriff/police chief) who made that last statement. Not that this LEO was incorrct (he was !) but he runs counter to the lamestream media and DNC agenda.
If Canterbury had only stuck to those narrow needs, he might have made it. It was his underlying and less obvious ideas and agenda that nixed his chances.
BTW - Canterbury had worked for the "Fraternal Order of Police" for many years. Their initials are "F.O.P.". If you want a chuckle, look up "fop" in the dictionary. :D